Did you know… How to create and view Todo’s in the Task List? – #175

Let’s focus now on the other aspect of the Task List – the Comments left in the code.  You need to drop down the combo box at the top right to show Comments in order to see your comment "tokens" (i.e. comments, todo’s, and hacks) in the task list.

Unlike User Tasks, your todo’s will (obviously) be saved in your code, and in the case of checking in, everyone will see them.

Task List Comments View

So let’s say that you have a "todo" comment as shown below.

A TODO comment in code

And now we see in the task list in the Comments view

TaskListComments3

Technorati Tags: VS2005Tip,VS2008Tip

1. Programmerman says:

Of course, this one goes even deeper than this, as you can customize the tokens which trigger code tasks.

Under Tools > Options > Environment > Task List, you can set up your token list and give each token a priority.

But then again, I probably just scooped one of your future tips, didn’t I?

2. Flip says:

I like this feature, except for one problem, to see the comment, you have to open the file.  In a large solution with multiple projects, if I have to remember which file to open, I might as well remember the code location instead.  I wish there was a way to view all of these comments globally in the current solution.  This feature’s use is severly diminished since the information is too hard to get at.

Maybe putting a View All button on the toolbar would help?

3. ulfe says:

Yea, Flip, I totally agree with you.

It doesn’t feel so good to have to open a file just to get to the comments.

Any workaround?

4. arun.philip says:

> to see the comment, you have to open the file

Ah, I didn’t know this. I always wondered where these TODOs kept disappearing to, and ended up resorting to doing a find in the solution.

5. Rob says:

I too love this feature, and use it extensively. However, as commented by Flip, its a real pain in the neck to have to open the file first. Kinda defeats the object IMO. I have to do a "Search All" for TODO, to open the files, of which case I already there?!?!

6. Chris Nahr says:

I just learned on the Microsoft newsgroups that you can make task entries persistent by creating a "Task List Shortcut" to the line with the comment.  Then you can set the task panel to show "Shortcuts", and it will display all code lines with associated shortcuts, whether the file is open or not!

That was a tip for VS2005 and I have yet to try it myself.  Sara, if you’re reading this, it would be great if you could post another entry on this issue!

7. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

8. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

9. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

10. 【原文地址】 March 28th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio, Silverlight, .NET 【原文发表日期

11. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

Skip to main content