FSKA VIII World Karate Tournament this weekend!

I’m competing in the FSKA World Karate Tournament in Las Vegas this weekend in Individual Kata and Team Kata.  We (the team) have been training every Saturday morning at 7am since March 25th.  I am so excited that this date has finally come.  Team kata is where three people do the kata at the exact same time with the exact same intensity, landing right back at the exact same spot (without any counting).  The kata we’re doing takes almost 2 minutes to do, so it is a *lot* of work to keep focus for that long.

I’m doing the same kata for my individual.  i love doing kata competitions.  i love the feeling of focusing so hard on just the kata that you tune everything else out.  And of course the adrenaline rush lasts for an hour (from just 2 minutes of work).  Probably why i’m a adrenaline junkie.  =)

We have several camcorders going with us, so i hope to have the video posted when we get back.  Very cool stuff.

Wish us luck!

1. The Barbecueguy says:

Good Luck!

What kata are you doing?  Kanku Dai’s about he only kata I know that you can make last 2 minutes.  🙂

2. MSDNArchive says:

Good luck Sara!  Kick some a** in Vegas and win a little money at blackjack so you can treat us all to lunch next week… 🙂

3. Henning says:

Hey Sara,

so what Kata did you present ?

And how was it ????

I’ve had a Jiu-Jitsu fighting tournament also this weekend… Ended up in a …. hmmmm…. desaster (broken hand and a blue coloured eye ;-))

In my earlier year’s i’ve also done Shotokan (more than 12 years). But switched over to Ju-Jutsu/Jiu-Jitsu 2 years ago. I missed the ground fighting (grappling) in Karate which is a lot of fun.

Greetings

Henning

4. saraford says:

We did Gojushiho Sho for both the Team Kata and for my individual kata.

5. jane says:

hear that you did wonderful and you and the team also did brillantly.  congratulations to all of you.  well dolne job.  we are very proud of you and the team.  congratulations again.

6. me says:

I believe I watched your team kata from the sidelines. I noticed a lot of competitors from the USA did the same kata as you. Well done, it was nicely performed. The male youth team from teh Czech Republic performed Gojushiho Sho, and they were amazing. Did you by any chance notice the South African team in red?

7. saraford says:

Unfortunately, i didn’t stay for they youth team kata competitions.  I was pretty hungry and wanted to make sure i was done eating by the time i went out onto the floor.  grr.   wished i had seen it now, but you know how it goes.

All i can say about the youth competition is that the kid with the red mohawk did an outstanding job with Unsu.  Wow.  And he was a brown belt!

Thanks!  yeah, i was pretty happy with the kata, until i watched the video of course =)  But we had been training for the team kata, and not individuals, so i’m trying not to beat myself up too badly.

It was pretty hard not to notice the South African teams =)  I wasn’t brave enough to ask any of them what the chant was that they were saying.  I’m referring to the "ziggy ziggy ziggy eye eye eye" chant.  If i flew that far for a karate tournament, i would definitely be chanting something too.

Skip to main content