Waveland makes National Geographic Special Edition on Katrina

At bookstores and newsstands, you’ll find a Special Edition of National Geographic on Katrina.  On page 40 and 41, there’s a center-spread of downtown Waveland.  The longest pier thingy on the right of the center is the Waveland Memorial Pier (I can’t think of the official name right now).  To the left are Coleman Ave and the armed forces memorial.  My mom’s house missed being in the photograph by ¾ of an inch.

The image covers from Market St to Nicholson Ave, I believe.  Even though I just road my bike down beach blvd a couple of weeks ago, it is still difficult to navigate around the town in these conditions.

St. Clare Elementary is located left of the center on the beach.  It looks like a really large baseball field (a not-quite circle driveway).  The road to the left of it is Vacation Ave, in case you wanted to know where this photo was taken from.

I’m sending several copies of this special edition to Waveland City Hall on Monday.

1. Victor Lee says:

wow… I was actually down in Waveland a couple of days ago. I was down there for three weeks coordinating the routes for the Red Cross ERVs, one of which you said you saw on your Day 1, although I dont think we have any routes that go by Coleman Ave. I wished we could’ve sent out enough ERVs to cover the entire area, but because of limited resources, we could only cover the most needy neighborhoods.

Anyways, our Kitchen was located in Bay Saint Louis, in the Wynn Dixie parking lot (on 90 right before the bridge to diamondhead) so you might have seen that driving by. They have since moved it to Gulfport because the CVS and Wynn Dixie people want their parking lot back (which is understandable). Coming from California, I’ve never seen anything like the destruction there. I’ll probably put up some photos in a week but they mostly look pretty similar to the ones you took.

2. saraford says:

Hi Victor,

We met the Red Cross ERV on Vacation Lane, just a tenth of a mile from St. Clare Church. They handed out poweraid and water to the people going through their debris, but not many people were on that side of the tracks.

I don’t recall seeing a kitchen in the Winn Dixie parking lot, but then again, we only drove by there twice and everything reminded me of a Mardi Gras going terribly wrong.

Thanks for all your help in saving my hometown!

3. Ken Hirsch says:

If you get a chance, listen to the story about the Bay St. Louis high school football team. It’s a great human interest story. It’s about 39 minutes into (you can seek) <a href="http://www.thislife.org/ra/299.ram">this real audio</a> stream from the <a href="http://www.thislife.org/">This American Life</a> radio program.

4. Jan Grant says:

HI…I was down in Waveland with the Red Cross and hope we were able to make a bit of difference…know it has made a difference in MY life just meeting you all…would like to contact Victor Lee who made a previous post…Victor, if you’re out there…gonegolfin@insightbb.com please…thanks Waveland…you’re a GREAT community…

5. Kenneth Statzer says:

6. Hi. I was in Waveland with the Red Cross from oct 6-20. Im so glad that I got to help a lot of people who needed us the most. I think about all of you dadily and hope for the best for all of you. I wsa truely blessed to work with some awesome people like Victor Lee and Jan Grant and many others. I want to let everyone know that Im praying for you! Dont forget god is always with you and you all will rise again. I hope that I can someday come back to waveland and see how much progress its made. God Bless

7. Shawn Lea says:

My parents lived on Sarah’s Lane – just a street or so over toward the Waveland side. Everything’s gone – but they evacuated and are safe and sound at least. Good luck to you and your family in recovery efforts. It’s going to take a while, I’m afraid.