Just like riding a bike again

Yesterday on the Lake Sammamish River trial was just perfect. Perfect temps, perfect breeze, perfect descent of some bug into my mouth – my unexpected protein snack. Just as I started passing a slower rider, I felt the immediate obedience of my bike kick into acceleration. And, for the first time in 9 gray months, life was simply perfect.

Yesterday was my first ride in two years. Last year was the summer of the needy puppy. Yesterday I did 15 and today I did 25 miles. I love the “heat” out here in Seattle. I believe it broke 90 in Bellevue today, and it may even hit 100 in some parts around the sound. And I can only ride my bike in the warm temps. My torso gets really cold whenever I ride, so the hotter, the better.

I was in a motorcycle accident a couple of weeks before I moved out here (I was the passenger on the bike when we were rear-ended – ouch). I used part of the settlement to buy my custom-made bike. When you’re 5’1, nothing fits you without a lot of tweaking.

1. Travis Owens says:

I sure hope you use some of that money to see a regular chiropractor. Very few people realize that just because you don’t have any direct pain, means your alignment is fine. Accidents, even little ones, will send you on the slow road to misalignment and it takes years (perhaps a decade or two) before the effects are dissaterous and very hard to undo.

Maybe I’m just a health zealot, but I sure hope you’ve gone to one since your accident, and not simply ate of the simple minded rhetoric of a standard american doctor holder an x-ray of your spine. "Fine" by american health standards is abysmal by the rest of the world.

Sorry, I had to rant, I just started going to a chiropractor and even though I’m a firm believer in ergonomics (for the past 5yrs) and try to keep good posture, I was surprised how much misalignment I have gotten and I’m only 28!

2. Travis Owens says:

3. Travis Owens says:

PS: 1am is for sleeping, not blogging!

4. Julie Lerman says:

90? 100? It is still 50, drizzly and cloudy here in Vermont. We are so sick of it. Not normal even here. We want summer! (Well, the cool weather will be great for the 6800 people running in the big marathon this weekend in Burlington!)

5. saraford says:

CS marks time in EST, so it was 10pm when i blogged this. I was out cold at 1am.

The car hit my leg and pushed me off to the side, then totaled the bike. My leg was just badly bruised, nothing broken – it felt like being hit by 100 metal baseball bats at the same time. I took my time in settling. i’m extremely athletic (more like i wish i were as athletic like in high school), so health is a top priority.

I’m more concern about my chronic tendonitis in my shoulders – when i was 13 i (successfully) pulled a basketball goal into a pecan tree, and i’ve had issues ever since. Yeah, i wasn’t the brightest kid on the block =)

6. Norman Diamond says:

> perfect descent of some bug into my mouth –

> my unexpected protein snack

Oh neat. Next time I meet someone who needs more protein, I know what to give them. But how should they eat it? CD-ROMs have pretty sharp edges when broken into bite-size chunks.