Landmark experiences to replace birthdays as a true sign of age

I meant to post this on my birthday 2 months ago.  How time flies.

Some people get so upset over their birthdays, getting a year older, hitting some milestone in time.  What I get upset about is thinking, “oh great, I just did <insert landmark experience here>.  I’m getting old.”

Landmark experiences to replace birthdays as a true sign of age:

• Your parents have to pay full price for you at restaurants
  • Someone thinks you’re in high school, and you’re excited that you look so mature for your age
  • You bury your first pet
  • You drive out of your driveway for the first time by yourself
  • You get your first paycheck
  • You learn just how much of that first paycheck went to taxes
  • You spend your first night in your own apartment… alone
  • You’re pulled over for the first time by state patrol.
  • You have your “I’m finally of legal drinking age” birthday party
  • You’re finally old enough to rent a car, and it’s all downhill from there
  • You fall in love for the first time
  • You find that first gray hair… in your hairbrush!
  • Someone thinks you’re in high school, and you’re excited that you look so young for your age
  • You realize you’re not in the same shape as you were in high school (and you ain’t gonna ever be)

Got others to add?

Want to scare me by telling me what comes next?

1. SteveM says:

After the baby’s room, there’s buying a bigger house for ANOTHER baby’s room, then you just start the list again:

* You have to pay full price for your kids at restaurants

* You bury your kids’ first pet

* They’re off to high school

* They’re learning to drive

and so on…. good grief I AM getting old!!!

2. Gary Short says:

If you are a youth leader of some sort, you know you’re getting old when kids who went to your group are now sending their kids along! 🙂

3. Jim Holmes says:

Particularly frightening: You’re the same age or older than the intern/resident/doctor you’re visiting.

4. Travis Owens says:

I guess we have different concepts of landmark experiences. For me it was:

– Becoming a teenager on my 13th birthday.

– Done being a teenager at my 19th birthday.

– Getting my first job to pay more than 3 digits per hour (iow $10 or more an hour)

– Buying my house and sleeping there for the first night (I actually lived with my parents until 23 then bought a house)

Honestly those are the only real milestones in my life, although I am 28 and married and making way more than $10/hr, it’s the list above that I feel were great accomplishments.

Maybe the next one will be when I exceed $100/hr 🙂

5. saraford says:

Jim, that’s a good one! I’m happy to say that hasn’t happened to me… yet.

6. Jaakko Haapasalo says:

How about:

-You have your first professionally considered opinion

-You have a professionally considered opinion turn out to be true (or at least useful)

There might be more time between the two than we would like…

7. Ricky Dhatt says:

Right after "You have your “I’m finally of legal drinking age” birthday party " comes "Gee, now that it’s legal, it’s not as fun as it used to be." 😛