Did you know… How to change default language in Visual Studio 2005

I’ve already posted about the import / export settings feature, but then I saw this MSDN Forum thread.  I figured this would make for a better tip of the day than just a generic explanation of how import / export settings works, especially for people who are quickly search for tips.

Use the Import and Export Setting Wizard:

1. Choose Tools -> Import and Export Settings
  2. Select Reset All Settings and click Next
  3. Select whether you would like to save the current settings and click Next
  4. Select the settings you want to use and click Finish

Note: I’m using David’s answer from the forums, since he’s steps look nicer than mine did =)

Happy Visual Studio’ing!

1. Mike Weiss says:

Does import/export save things like custom toolbar settings?

"External Tools" settings?

Loaded Macro files?

I constantly loose my custom toolbars, especially when installing/uninstalling plug-ins. I ended up writing a macro to rebuild my toolbars, but it’s a pain to have to re-run it and remember to update it if I want to make a change.

Not to mention how friggin complicated the macro was to write when the toolbar control is something other then a simple button (like goto/find combo or the mysterious bookmark icons) — but I digress… 😉

2. saraford says:

Hi Mike,

Custom Toolbars – Yes, this info is stored in the same location as the menu customizations. Just export All Settings – General Settings – Menus and Command Bars. This info is stored in CmdWnd.prf in %appdata% directory.

External Tools – yes, Just export All Settings – General Settings – External Tools.

Loaded Macro files – i can’t remember off the top of my head what we do here. (i’m not at work today, so i’ll have to check on Monday)

3. Gal says:

Thanks very much, it was very helpful

4. fengfangfang says:

本文介绍如何更改Visual Studio 2005的默认开发语言.

5. Laura Coutts says:

Sub minute solution to my query, thanks.

6. Daryl says:

Here is how you can do this without losing any of your custom settings:

Step 1. Tools > Import and Export Settings…

Step 2. "Import Selected Environment Settings"

Step 3. "No, import settings, overwrite.."

Step 4. Pick "Visual C# Development Settings", or "Visual Basic Development Settings", or whichever Default Settings you want to change the default language to.

Step 5. *Clear* the checkbox next to "All Settings".  Now you’re importing nothing at all, and overwriting nothing at all.

Step 6. Check "All Settings > General Settings > New Project Dialog Preferred Language".  Now your importing just that one setting, and leaving everything else as-is.

Step 7. Profit!!!