Did you know… How to have fun with the Visual Studio Find Combo Box

Today’s tip of the day comes from Shawn’s post on the Find Combo Box. These tips will work on both Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005.

• Goto a line – type the line number and press Ctrl-G
  • Goto a file – type the name of the file and press Ctrl+Shift+G
  • Set a breakpoint on a function – type the name of the function and press F9
  • Get help – type the keyword and press F1

And using command aliases…

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxgrfpredefinedcommandlinealiases.asp for the complete list.

What other command aliases should go in this list that people like to use?

Happy Editing!

1. Srikanth Bhakthan says:

Thanks Sara. I learn new shortcuts everytime when i read your blogs!

2. Uwe Keim says:

"What other command aliases should go in this list that people like to use?"

The MSN Desktop search allows for defining own commands (I forgot the shortcut though…). Maybe this would be useful for the combobox in VS.NET, too?!?

3. D. Philippe says:

I’m not a fan about overloading the "find" dialog to the "find/command" dialog. I think that command mode is a great idea. (vi anyone? It’s a pity UIs have taken a decade to get back to the power of the command line.) But I don’t think that it should be lumped together with the find feature, something that was never intended to support it.

BTW, one of my greatest gripes about Find in all MS IDE’s is the way that it unhelpfully sets the word at the current cursor position to the default find text. 99% of the time the word I’m looking for is not where my cursor is.* (That’s why I’m trying to find it!) If anything, I’m usually trying to find the last thing that I searched for, so it would be helpful for Find _not_ to change the default text from the last instance.

* There is a case where this is useful, and that’s Find in Files, but not just plain Find.

4. DTF says:

I agree with D. Philippe, initialing the find dialog with the current text is useless, but I’d add that you can change this behavior in Tools-Options-Environment-Documents.

Also, for quick searches I find that Ctrl-I, which is interactive search, can be a bit more useful.

5. Mike Goatly says:

Sara,

I’d really like some way of jumping to a region defined in the current file. (Ideally this would be another "explorer" like dockable window where all the defined regions would be! 😉

Like a lot of developers, I break my code up into logical areas using regions, and sometimes need to be able to quickly jump to another region. (E.g. to add a new method to the Private Methods region)

Just a thought – maybe there’s a power toy out there or something similar I’ve missed!

6. Faisal says:

Thanks Sara. I learn new shortcuts everytime when i read your blogs!

Would u like to mail a list of shortcuts?

My Email is

faisal_i_a@yahoo.com

7. Faisal says:

Thanks Sara. I learn new shortcuts everytime when i read your blogs!

Would u like to mail me a list of shortcuts?

My Email is