Automation Testing versus Manual Testing Guidelines

I met with my team’s automation experts a few weeks back to get their input on when to automate and when to manually test. The general rule of thumb has always been to use common sense. If you’re only going to run the test one or two times or the test is really expensive to automation, it is most likely a manual test. But then again, what good is saying “use common sense” when you need to come up with deterministic set of guidelines on how and when to automate?

Pros of Automation

• If you have to run a set of tests repeatedly, automation is a huge win for you
  • It gives you the ability to run automation against code that frequently changes to catch regressions in a timely manner
  • It gives you the ability to run automation in mainstream scenarios to catch regressions in a timely manner (see What is a Nightly)
  • Aids in testing a large test matrix (different languages on different OS platforms). Automated tests can be run at the same time on different machines, whereas the manual tests would have to be run sequentially.

Cons of Automation

• It costs more to automate. Writing the test cases and writing or configuring the automate framework you’re using costs more initially than running the test manually.
  • Can’t automate visual references, for example, if you can’t tell the font color via code or the automation tool, it is a manual test.

Pros of Manual

• If the test case only runs twice a coding milestone, it most likely should be a manual test. Less cost than automating it.
  • It allows the tester to perform more ad-hoc (random testing). In my experiences, more bugs are found via ad-hoc than via automation. And, the more time a tester spends playing with the feature, the greater the odds of finding real user bugs.

Cons of Manual

• Running tests manually can be very time consuming
  • Each time there is a new build, the tester must rerun all required tests – which after a while would become very mundane and tiresome.

Other deciding factors

• What you automate depends on the tools you use. If the tools have any limitations, those tests are manual.
  • Is the return on investment worth automating? Is what you get out of automation worth the cost of setting up and supporting the test cases, the automation framework, and the system that runs the test cases?

Criteria for automating

There are two sets of questions to determine whether automation is right for your test case:

Is this test scenario automatable?

1. Yes, and it will cost a little
  2. Yes, but it will cost a lot
  3. No, it is no possible to automate

How important is this test scenario?

1. I must absolutely test this scenario whenever possible
  2. I need to test this scenario regularly
  3. I only need to test this scenario once in a while

If you answered #1 to both questions – definitely automate that test

If you answered #1 or #2 to both questions – you should automate that test

If you answered #2 to both questions – you need to consider if it is really worth the investment to automate

What happens if you can’t automate?

Let’s say that you have a test that you absolutely need to run whenever possible, but it isn’t possible to automate. Your options are

• Reevaluate – do I really need to run this test this often?
  • What’s the cost of doing this test manually?
  • Look for new testing tools
  • Consider test hooks

1. Bruce McLeod says:

Hi Sarah,

Interesting post. I have recently blogged about my opinion on the same subject here: http://www.teknologika.com/blog/General/Testing/TenetsOfTestingPartTwo.html.

Regards,

Bruce McLeod

bruce at teknologika dot com

2. Brian says:

Thanks. In my position I have been mulling this over for a while. I think i will have use for your framework. I was just assigned another product of ours and I need to decide what I can and should automate.

3. Stephane R says:

Automation makes you capitalize on invariants, hence test families. But what about adapting to the slightest changes in UIs? Do you simply throw a broken test case to the trashcan, or do you fix it?

A big con of automation is that it doesn’t find you any new bugs. If you want to find those, you need to either find those yourself by hand, or rely on somebody else’s work.

Are you still using VisualTest for runs? How will that evolve will UIs going more towards IDless controls in UIs?

4. sara ford says:

Stephane,

"Do you simply throw a broken test case to the trashcan, or do you fix it?"

That’s a good point about Automation that i missed in the above guidelines. There is a cost with Automation to maintain the test case. Almost always, you fix the test case, unless the app has changed in such a way that the test is no longer valid. For example, say you test for a feature, but the feature is modified or cut, then you would most likely destroy the test case. One good rule of thumb is don’t automate if you know the UI will be in flux. The slightest changes in UI can cause automation to fail. When you know the UI has been finalized, excluding any fixes to bugs, that’s the time to automate.

"A big con of automation is that it doesn’t find you any new bugs."

I disagree with this statement. The point of automation is to find regressions. Regressions are bugs that appear because of some change in the code. For example, say a developer fixes a bug, but because of the bug fix, another bug appears, the second bug is called a regression.

"Are you still using VisualTest for runs?"

I’ve never used VisualTest. We have our own automation framework.

Thanks,

-sara

5. Ran Gishri says:

Great post. I would like to add yet another dimension to the decision – the human factor. Having worked with testing teams in three continents I believe that building a good automated test suite, one that truly delivers the anticipated ROI, cannot be achieved by your average Joe. Programming great test cases that really work is much like, well, programming… Therefore, when you consider whether to automate a test suite, I recommend you seriously consider the level of expertise of your test team. Leaving automation to a non-expert would probably lead to a lot of frustrations and no ROI. This all applies to functional or regression test. When it comes to load test, obviously automation is absolutely mandatory. Gone are the days when you summoned 40 employees into a big lab and asked them to hit the Enter key at the same time…

6. Nilesh says:

Suppose you have 4 cycles of tetsing and last cycle is regerssion wherein you would think of automating the tests.

First three cycles involve manual testing which include right from writing the test cases to execution.

After sucuessful completion of first three cycles, automation plays its role then during this regerssion all the manual testers would no longer be required as u have hired automation specialists.

Would it be justified to fire them???

7. Ken Baker says:

Nilesh, I think the approach of manual testing all test cases for multiple passes and then running those same test cases with automation for the final "phase" is not a real world scenario.

Ideally most projects would have manual testing and automation going on at the same time, or even have automation being coded before there is anything to test. In an ideal and agile world, your automation for a feature under test should be completed before the feature is code complete. This is an aspect of test driven development. Also keep in mind that automation is not limited to GUI testing or driving the application through GUI manipulation. That is, most people think of GUI and they say UI. UIs encompass more than only GUIs. All testing requires UI in that calling a function/method of a DLL or webservice is interacting with a UI (a non-graphical UI).

So, if you have a detailed design spec or you practice Scrum or other agile/xp methodologies, the QA people will know what is being devloped before it is done, and they can code some automation prior to the functionality even being "code-complete". It is up to the team/group to decide if the automation is run prior to code complete and thus should pass once the feature goes in or if the automation is run only after you know the feature goes in.

All the while, as Sara has already detailed and as is the crux of her blog entry here, there are classifications of testing that make no sense to be automated. Thus, each project has some balance to find between what is to be automated, when to automated it, how it will be automated, who will automate it, and how is manual testing complementing what is not being automated.

For too long many teams/groups have pictured QA in terms of how can automated testing compliment manual testing and improve quality. In reality, automation needs to have a larger and earlier focus and manual testing is the compliment to fill the holes where it makes no sense time-wise, feature-wise, or skill-wise to automate a test. ADditionally, manual testing may certainly be needed for tests to be run that are planned to be implemented via automation at a later time, but there will alsways be testing that won’t be and shouldn’t be automated.

8. Nilesh says:

Ken,

I got the gist of ur reply…But isn’t manual testing necessary atleast for one pass? Or should we automate all the passes??

Thanks

Nilesh

9. Nilesh says:

Ken,

Thanks

Nilesh

10. Ken Baker says:

Well, it seems to me the question should be "What part of the testing do we automate?" rather than "What iteration of the test pass should be automated?"

Let’s say we have an existing project that has been released. Now we plan a new release with 6 new features and 4 bug fixes. Before we start work on this new release we have no automated testing in place. How do we proceed?

My focus, if I wanted to introduce good automated testing, would be to focus on automating testing on the new features and possibly have as much of this automation done and ready to run before each feature is "code-complete".

Let’s assume that is possible. You would still use manual testing to verify the bug fixes and test for regressions around these bug fixes as well as around the new features, though the depth of the automated testing could also be used to test for regressions around the new features as well (though I would not recommend this). The reason you wouldn’t automate the testing of the bug fixes is actually the same reason you probably wouldn’t automate testing for regressions around the addition of new features. Manual testing is good here because it is a form of one-off smoke testing or adhoc testing, basically, to verify the bugs are fixed and caused no regressions and that the new features did not create bugs near but outside of them.

Now let’s say it is not possible to have all your new automated testing complete before there is testable code, maybe some is or maybe none is. Of course you should sit around and not test completed code as you wait for automated tests to be completed. This is one reason why all automated testing should also have formal test cases. If you are ever waiting on automated tests, then these tests can and should be run manually. This applies when and if your automation becomes out dated as well, though there should be a strong emphasis on not letting automated testing get out dated. So, in these cases we use manual testing where we want to be using automated testing. Always keep in mind that one of the worst things, in my opinion, that a QA person or team can do is let code-complete features sit untested too long. So, if your automation is not ready…manual testing is needed.

The other point buried in what I was saying up there is that there are types of testing you will never automate. The first category of testing that you should not automate is testing that does not require being repeated on a build-by-build, daily, or weekly basis. (All of this is excluding load, performance and scalability testing, of course).

Automated testing is about demonstration of repeated reliability and catching regressions in code that is being updated or impacted by other code updates.

11. Ken Baker says:

I wish I could edit my reply:

There is a line above that should be "Of course you should *not* sit around and not test completed code as you wait for automated tests to be completed."

12. Munuren says:

Nilesh,

13. Amol Chavan says:

What are test hooks ?

Amol.

14. software testing notes says:

Hi my name is sakthi and my e-mail address will be sakthisankar@msn.com I need some notes regarding the testing can any on send me regarding the automated tools.

15. Hi Saraford,

You have really mastered the art of explainingTesting .I would be happy if I could get some tips like this at my mail.

16. Mayur says:

Hi ,

So far you have only concentrated on execution part of testing…I want to know if the planning part can be automated as well ?

17. Venkat says:

Hi…

Thanks for great Post..Some are asking when we have to automate?

Is it in the Initial Testing Phase or in subsequent Testing..

Let me tell you my experience..

Many times we go to automation for regression testing and performance testing.Based on type of testing we’ll opt type of tool.

For example we can opt WinRunner for Regression and LoadRunner for Performance.

As Saraford said, one should be cautious how automation is going to help our testing in the next versions.

18. I came across this great article by Sara Ford about when to automate. I’ve read lots of articles concering this topic and they all seem to boil down to the few questions that sara outlined. I believe that one criteria that’s over looked sometimes is if th

19. Cons of manual testing:

The tester gets more and more bored by his work. Before soon, he either 1) gets depressed, 2) starts looking for another team/company. Both ways, productivity dives and soon enough you loose working force in which you invested education/training money.

🙂

20. Meenakshi Thiyagarajan says:

Hai sara,

Its clear and brief. well its quite interesting. I am new to this field. Gave me a brief description of the manual and automated testing.

21. Sanjay K says:

really good stuff

22. Raja Balachand says:

hi

very good posting.

i need a clear classification of practicle approach for TESTING. what happens in Real time senario after geathering requirements and till delivary stage? i need how to proceed with SRS, Test plans Test cases, Which Test Cases To Be automated?

can any one help me ramineni999@gmail.com

23. shrinivas says:

Nice article , but the author should be more clear in explaining and if this one of more depth , it would have been more useful for us.

If it is possible please give when should we plan automating the test cases ( during SRS or while creating Test Plans )

24. Sathya says:

This indeed great article, Can you suggest me in a typical Product/ application life cycle (< 1 year) how much of effort required for writing test cases versus test execution?

25. Sathya says:

26. shiraz.rajwani@kotak.com says:

Hi,

There seems to be good knowledge sharing posts in your blogs. If you take my opinon about Automation vs Manual then i would say that its not only monetary factors or size of application that makes us to decide what to go for. What i think that apart from these factors a Project Manager need to consider;

1. How much quality the development team delivers to the testers (Less bugs or more bugs)?

2. What is the project deadline ?

3. How critical is the project ? Say if you are making an application for NASA than you need to do manual and automation also and i would suggest that the application should also be tested even if it goes live.

4. How familiar is the user with the technology ? (Novice / Beginner / Advanced)

5. What will be the users reaction if he finds a bug ? Say if the application goes live and if the user discovers a bug then how will he handle it. Will he protect himself from the bug and pray not to see that bug again (Eg. Win XP OS) or will he stop the application and pick up the phone and will yell to the support team (Like we do today with call center guys) which will definately make an impact on users impression for vendors quality

And this list can go on . I think based on these factors and cost of resources (money , labour , time)involved you can decide whether to go either for manual or automation or both .

27. smitha says:

Very good one for a fresher to understand.

Can I have detail notes regarding Manual Vs Automation testing as i have to take a session in my company for freshers. Pls help me out?

28. Sara — good post, and a good set of rules of thumb to work with. But I also agree with your early comment on using common sense. It is a very contextual consideration. For my two cents worth, look at my editorial at http://www.sirius-sqa.com/newsletter1.html.

Sincerely,

David Gilbert

29. sa.rafee says:

hello sarafords,

I want know how to test in manaul give explain and please send some test case which you have applied for any object like combo box;list box;edit text feild.

30. s.varaprasad says:

hi

iam very impressed about manual and automation .Can you explain detailed explanation regarding the live environment in companies.

31. saritha says:

more notes about manual versus automated testing

32. Hi Sara,

First, I would like to thanks you for such a great and best differentiation between Manual and Automated Testing.

Sara, could you give me some good ppt on this topic and on when to use which tool in automation and some good tutorials on winrunner..

Many Thanks

God Bless You Sara

pankajm@servizio.in

33. Abhilasha says:

I am new to testing field.Currently working as a developer from last 2 years and want to shift to testing soon can any one provide me notes regrading testing from basics.

my mail id id abhips686266@rediffmail.com

34. Sachin says:

I am new to testing field.Currently working in mech field and want to shift to testing soon can any one provide me notes regrading testing from basics.

my mail id is  sjdhote@gmail.com

35. srikant says:

Hi Sara,

I am very much impressed with this topic.Its really a time to appreciate u r topic.According to my point of view i think tools cannot be intellegent than human brains.Rather manual testing takes time to complete the testing but its reliable,whereas automation tools leaves behind some important bugs which are difficult to find by tools.Tools are needed during the time of testing the load and performance.Is this section gives a point of view.If so pls feel free to send any comments.

My mail id is:srikant_2977@yahoo.co.in

srikant_ctc@rediffmail.com

36. harry says:

Sir/Madam,

This time i am workin in softare company they put me on Manual Testing.Here is not Automated Testing.Are there scope of Manual testing.Please Suggest me.My Email ID is harish_usa@rediff.com

37. sameer says:

Hi Sara,

This is a good artical and I am impresed. Sara, currently I am doing Manual testing on Web Applications. Please guide me should I shift to Automation testing and which is the right tool for that. And will you please tell me should I go for the CSTE exam though I am doing manual testing.

my mail Id is : – sam_sps@yahoo.co.in or

sameer.bhate@rediffmail.com

With Warm Regards

Sameer

38. Respected mam or sir,

Quest:-How Can we apply manual testing on web based parojat or like java based project.

Thanks

mam

39. hi sara,

i  am  very new to the testing  enviornment  specially manual  , what are the intiatiives  need to be taken  to  make myself perfect on manual testing, and can you please list out the websites  which quote examples of manual testing.

40. saikishore says:

Hello sara iam saikishore iam trying for a break in software testing nearly i have attended 25 interviews but couldnot get any initial break and iam mailing some of the interview questions on testing if you have answers for them please

reply me and waiting for your response

thanking you

MPHASIS INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. Explain Bug Life cycle

2. What is integration testing and regression testing

3. What is verification and validation

4. How does winrunner recognizes the project which is in custom build

5. What is expert view and tree view

6. How does QTP identifies the project

7. What is the difference between Winrunner and QTP

8. What is Test Director and which version of test director your are using in your project

9. What is a  test plans

10. what are the contents  present in a test plan

11. What is the risk of testing a project

SEMANTIC SPACE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. What is configuration Management

2. What is change management

3. What are Severity and priority levels

4. What is Data integrity and Data validity

5. What are the browsers available and explain their versions

6. Is it possible that Quality variates project to project

7. What are GUI Map files and explain their Contents

8. What is Data base check point and why we go for that

9. What is the difference between the  Client server application and a Web application

10.  Does Winrunner Supports Web applications

11. What is process Management

12. What is an Error, Defect, Bug

13. What is Quality

14. Which version of Winrunner you are using

15. What is Build Verification and why we go for it

16. What is Defect density

17. What is Integration testing

18. What is Static testing and types of Static testing

19. What is Validation testing

20. what is Data driven testing and why we go for data driven testing

21. what is the definition of Testing

22. What is Sanitation Testing

TESTING INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (SECOND ROUND)

1. What are joins and subjoins in the data bases

2. what is data driven testing

3. what is verification and validation

4. What is Quality Assurance (QA)  and Quality Control (QC)

5. Is Verification is related to QA and Validation is related to QC ?

6. which type of model you follow  basically in your project

7. what is a use case

8. How to test a Bike

9. how to test a Lift (Elevator).

10. which configuration Management tool do you use

11. which Bug tracking tool do you use

12. explain Bug life cycle

13. what is Regression testing

14. what is ALPHA testing ans BETA testing

15. What types of testings comes under Non functional testing

16. what is TEST DIRECTOR

17. what is CMM and CMM i

18. whar are Expressions in Winrunner

19. What is a Compile module

20. Is it Necessary to open the tool first or the application first

21. after  getting a bug what will you do

22. if you add a new object or a new module for the existing application then how will you test the application

23. which Defect tracking tool do you use

24. what is change management

25. What is smoke Testing

26. what is sanity testing

27. A application is given to you but  the requirements and functionalities are missing what will you do to start the testing

28. which  testing documents will be received by the client

3. what is system testing

4. what is data driven testing

5. what is functionality testing

6. if requirements are given to you then how do you write the test cases for it

Account number =

Ok       cancel

For above given form the valid account number starts from 1 to 1000  so is it necessary to input the 1,2,3

….998,999,1000 test cases to check the conditions of valid account numbers I,e  is it compulsory to write 1000 test cases for the above form

STAG SOFTWARE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

12. what is base line document

13. what is  Test Life Cycle

14. what is regression testing and retesting

15. what is a BUG LIFE CYCLE

16. what is a Bug

17. what are defects

18. what is functionality testing and system testing.

19. a project has to be released in one day but the testing people got that project from the developers

half of the day before so what they have to do to  complete the testing process.

20 what are severity level and priority levels

AZTEC SOFTWARE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. What is BVA and ECP

2. Which version of WINRUNNER and QTP you are using in the project

3. What is the use of Recovery manager in QTP

4. What is retesting and regression testing

5. Write the SQL queries for the following EMP table  to select the employee id and his details from emp table

6. For example: employee dept and employee id and employee name and employee salary

7. what is a sub and what is a driver

8. What are your roles and responsibilities in  your project

9. Does BVA is equivalent to ECP

10. If you find a bug what will you do

TESTING  INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

Choose the correct answer

1.Testing work starts once

a)once requirements are complete

b)once test cases are complete

c)once coding is complete

d)Beginning of the requirement

2.For White box testing ;

A)The tester is completely unconcerned about the internal behaviour of the program

B) the tester is concerned with finding the circumstances in which the program does not behave according to code standards

C) Test data is derived from market requirements

3.stress testing is a measure of one of the following

a) applilcation response time

b) concurrent load on application can handle

c) transaction per minute that can be handled

d) virtual load at which the system will fail

4.Susan reviews a QA test plan prepared by her counterpart and gives her comments. It’s a part of

a)Quality control

b)Quality Assurance

c)Both

d)none

5.user acceptance testing means ;

a)testing performed on a single stand alone module

b)testing after changes have been made to ensure that no unwanted changes were introduced

c)testing to ensure that system meets the needs of the organization and the end user

6.Software Quality Metrics will help you to

A) Keep account on the software quality of an application

B) Analyze and improve the deficiencies of the application

C) Both of the above

D) None of the above

7) Regression Testing:

a) Tests how well the program runs with Adverse data

b) Tests program input branches

c) Selective retesting to verify modifications have not cause adverse effects

d) Testing data during requirements phase

8)Application that has GUI must be tested for usability

a) For any kind of UI applications

b) More necessary for Web- based applications

c) Only if the user is going to use the UI

d) Only if the user pays for it

9) the program according requirements expects the uppercase letters from A to Z .analyse the following inputs and choose one that can cause the failure with greater probability.

a) @, [

b) 1,0

c) B, W

d) [,]

10)A system test that forces the software to fail in a variety of ways and verifies that software is able to continue execution without interruption. This definition is nearest to;

a) Recovery testing

b) Stress Testing

c) Both of the above

e) None of the above

11)Automated testing is necessary when

a) testing has to be done  very quickly

b) number of resources are very less

c) most of the test cases are similar in nature

d) all of the above

12) which of the following tests is performed early in a software testing process

a)Monkey testing

b)Unit testing

c)System testing

d)None of the above

13)The testing technique that requires devising test cases to demonstrate that each program function is operational is called

a) Black box testing

b) Glass-box testing

c) Grey-Box testing

d) White-Box Testing

14) What UML diagram is useful for black box testing

a) Class diagram

b) Object diagram

c) Use case diagram

d) Sequence diagram

15) What kind of tools would you suggest to use the automation of regression tests

a) Capture and play back

b) Static analysis

c) Simulators

e) Debugging tools

Basics of Winrunner

1. In analog mode of recording the maximum value of X in (X, Y)

a) the height of the screen, in Pixels, minus one.

b) The height of the screen, in Pixels

c) The width of the screen

d) The width  of the screen, in Pixels

2.During play back, you accidentally hit “pause’

a) Execution stops and you need to start from the beginning of the TSL again

b) Executions stops and you can start off   execution again from where you had stopped, all variables

Have to be redefined

c) Execution stops and you can start off execution again from where you had stopped, all variables will still remain  initialized

e) You need to restart win runner to execute again

3) To start recording on a Web based application using win runner and IE ; What of these is the best practice

a) You have to shut down all Open IE sessions, open the application and then open win runner

b) You have to shut down all Open IE sessions, open win runner and then open the application

c) Open application and then open win runner

d) Open win runner and then open the application

4)the types of variable declarations found in a TSL function are

a)Static and Public

b)auto, static and public

c)auto ,static and extern

d)need not be declared

e)C&D

5)You have executed a tl_step function in TSL for a context sensitve case . if thecondition fails]

a)winrunner report shows the whole Run as failed

b)winrunner report shows only that step has failed

c)winrunner report ignores the failure

d)None of the above

6) Which of this is true

a)You always require a GUI file to play a context –sensitive script

b)you always require  a GUI file to play an analog script

c)Not necessary to have GUI file at all

d)a&b

e)none of the above

7) which of the following describes the window http://www.india.com  in regularized form

a)”!.India

b)”!.*India

c)”!India

e) all of the above

f) none of the above

TESTING INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. Explain Classical water fall model

2. Integration testing is conducted by developers or testers

3. an application is given how do you test  for example the money deposited in account no.2 should be transferred to Account no.1

Account no: 1

Account no: 2

Ok        Cancel

4. what is V model

5. What is BUG life cycle

6. What is alpha testing and beta alpha testing

7. What is verification testing and validation testing

8. What are ISO and CMM standards levels

9. Which  should be given more preference I.e. severity or priority ?

10. How to use the test director in your project

11. What is use of recovery manager in QTP

12. What are the add ins in QTP

13. What are expressions in QTP

14. if the developers are not convinced with your bug in this case what will you do

15. if the developers are developing the application then what is the  job assigned to the  testers

16. What is system testing

17. What is smoke testing

18. What is sanity testing

19. What is sanitation testing

41. venkatesalu says:

Hi, I am venky. I would like to know some sites regarding Manual testing tat will guide me. I wish to know sites that allowsme to practice Manual testing with samples and other stuff.

42. Amit says:

Hi,

I am new to testing, could you please tell me how is a manual testing done in a real life situation,starting from initiation to execution.Also how is a test case run/tested manually.

Thanks.

43. Came through the google search, Found this article, and it’s nice. Probably a better insight for people who are still confused about whether to go for automation or not for particular testing tasks or modules.

44. Sarah says:

I do manual testing on Web based applicatons and I want to change the format of the test scripts that the company has used in the past.  TDo you know of a resource I could use to see different types of formats?  We also just started Agile developing.

thanks much

45. Dhatchayini says:

can u tellme which is going to rule in future? Manual testing r Automation Testing

46. Feroz Khan says:

I have two question to ask and as always your help will be greatly appreciated.

How do you answer this question if you were me as I am totally new to testing feild

Q1- Can you explain your experience with writing test scripts from scratch using automation tools such as Silktest, Winrunner, Test Director, SilkPerformer, homegrown, etc).

Q2- Can you explain your experience with, and philosophy about, creating an architecture/harness for automated tests. What was the hardest thing about implementing it?

47. Ram Potula says:

Excellent job, very useful information. Thank you.

48. shivappa says:

Dear Sir/madam,

Sub: Application for suitable post (Master of computer applications)

Having come to understand that there is an opportunity for a Post-graduation in MCA, in your esteemed organization, I offer myself as a candidate for the same. I request you to consider my application favorably.

I have enclosed my Resume that will be helpful to you to know my educational details. I shall produce the certificates of all qualifications mentioned therein when I am called for an interview.

I promise to discharge my duties, when appointed, to the best of my abilities.

Thanking you.

Yours faithfully,

Shivappa.Seemikeri

Cell No:9880058464

Enclr:Resume

49. sateesh varma says:

Hi! Madam

I’m sateesh new to testing field. I want more information about manual testing plz send manual testing notes thanks madam

50. tahir says:

Hi,

please let me some manual testing tips.

if anybody has Manual testing notes or questioning answering in details plz send me on my mail id tahir@sebiz.net or send me URL

Thanx ‘n’ regards,

Tahir AHmad

51. sree says:

Hi Sara,

your information is very clear and intresting. I am new to this field and I would like to know more details about Manual and Automated testing. If you or any one  have  notes about both Manual and Automated testing, please provide me. That should be very helpful to me and would be great.

My emai id : srireddys@gmail.com.

Thanks & regards,

Sree

52. sree says:

No Problem

53. Shivani says:

Hi, Ms. Sara

Thanks for this guidance, i am new to this feild,i really appreciate your notes.Please provide some more information if possible on Software Testing.

Regards

Shivani

54. Sheetal says:

Hi Sara & All,

Its really great to know how u all are asking &  sharing ur questions on the Board. From now onward I also want to become the part of the family.

Regards,

Sheetal

55. Raj kumar says:

Hi, Ms. Sara ,

I’m raj kumar have a 1 years  in testing field. I want more information about manual as well as Automation  testing plz send manual and Automation testing notes. and also sand me latetest Question for QTP and Load Runner and  Guide me . My Mail ID-

rajkumar.saw@gmail.com

Thanks and regards,

Raj kumar

56. Ankur says:

Hi,

Need notes on software testing. Further if i cud get some scripts that automate testing. I am new to this so if u cud help me.

57. Manav says:

Hi, Ms. Sara,

A great article. Well incase if u have notes on Software Testing and Samples of Automation Script. I would like to receive one. They will really help me to further understand and enhance my knowledge. Also using them i can enhance my skills. Please guide and help me…

Thanking You,

Manav

emailid: ankurjain_ojsb@rediffmail.com

58. KY Sundar rao says:

Dear sarah Madam,

I am Sundar. I would like to know some sites regarding to practice Manual testing with samples and other stuff.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Sundar.

59. Srinivasan says:

hi sara

its clear now of automated and manual testing,

can u tell what role Unix shell,perl scripts in testing

and what are the prospects of the above

regards

srinivasan

60. vasanthbabu says:

Hi, Ms. Sara ,

hello sarafords,

Its really very interesting to go on reading ur views and suggestion for the Others Querys and i am very much impressed with the software testing and i had  joined the software testing course recently and i dont know abt anything but i have an interest to get good knowledge in testing field and i develop myself but there is no guidence for me until i seen ur website and i dont worry now since u r now with me So please help me mam and I want know how to test in manaul give explain and please send some test case which you have applied for any object like combo box;list box;edit text field and I am very impressed about manual and automation .Can you explain detailed explanation regarding the live environment in companies and Can you send  some good tutorials on winrunner..and Especially i  am  very new to the testing  enviornment  specially manual  , what are the intiatiives  need to be taken  to  make myself perfect on manual testing, and can you please list out the websites  which quote examples of manual testing and i would like to know some sites regarding to practice Manual testing with samples and other stuff

61. Hi! Madam

I’m Praveen Kumar.N new to testing field. I want more information about manual testing plz send manual testing notes thanks madam .This is my mail id:

navathi_0522@yahoo.com

17. What is Integration testing

18. What is Static testing and types of Static testing

19. What is Validation testing

20. what is Data driven testing and why we go for data driven testing

21. what is the definition of Testing

22. What is Sanitation Testing

TESTING INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (SECOND ROUND)

1. What are joins and subjoins in the data bases

2. what is data driven testing

3. what is verification and validation

4. What is Quality Assurance (QA)  and Quality Control (QC)

5. Is Verification is related to QA and Validation is related to QC ?

6. which type of model you follow  basically in your project

7. what is a use case

8. How to test a Bike

9. how to test a Lift (Elevator).

10. which configuration Management tool do you use

12. what is base line document

13. what is  Test Life Cycle

14. what is regression testing and retesting

15. what is a BUG LIFE CYCLE

16. what is a Bug

17. what are defects

18. what is functionality testing and system testing.

20 what are severity level and priority levels

Ok        Cancel

4. what is V model

5. What is BUG life cycle

6. What is alpha testing and beta alpha testing

7. What is verification testing and validation testing

8. What are ISO and CMM standards levels

9. Which  should be given more preference I.e. severity or priority ?

10. How to use the test director in your project

11. What is use of recovery manager in QTP

12. What are the add ins in QTP

13. What are expressions in QTP

16. What is system testing

17. What is smoke testing

18. What is sanity testing

19. What is sanitation testing

64. Iqbal Shaikh says:

Respected Madem,
    I am iqbal i have visited this site it is great, it really helps people specially the freshears. I am really thankfull to you for providing this material. I have some questions of which i am not getting proper answers, can i get it form you. I yes please send me a mail i will let you know the questions.
    Thank You.