This Thanksgiving, I went home to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for the first time in three years (since joining Microsoft). Of course, I had to stay a couple of nights in New Orleans to begin the trip. Being back in the Quarter made me think of this list:
How do you spot a New Orleans native in the French Quarter who hasn’t been home in a while?
- You hear them say, “I haven’t been back to the Quarter in years.” (especially for those who still live in N.O.)
- They get emotional when asking for a “Sweet Tea and a Shrimp Poboy Dressed.”
- They refuse mardi gras beads because they don’t want to get their shirts dirty.
- Nothing on Bourbon St. after dark shocks them. Nothing.
- They do their gift shopping in the Flea Market, except for the mardi gras beads.
- They drink at Pat O’Brian’s at noontime in the air conditioning (in November)
- They wonder if the Saints have won a game yet.