Thank you Tennessee for making me proud to come from a state rumored to have removed fractions from high school curriculum

Last night, MSNBC reported on a Tennessee protest about a disabled man who was forced to crawl up the courthouse stairs for his court appearence, because the courthouse did not have a ramp or elevator.  When the man refused to crawl up the stairs for his second court appearance, the judge had him arrested for failure to appear in court.

Tennessee, you make me proud to come from a state rumored to have removed the study of fractions from high schools, because they are too confusing for students.

But wait! The story continues…

One protester, a woman who had both legs amputated, crawled up stairs of a high court until police threatened to have her arrested.  Let’s think about this for a second.  Are they going to have to arrest her again when she fails to appear in court because she’s protesting that there isn’t any accessible access to the courthouse?

BTW, didn’t we just land a vehicle on Mars?

Tennessee should check their retirement age again, or they could soon be looking for that ramp or elevator in upcoming years.

References

High Court Hears Disable Rights Case

High Court Hears Polk Disability Case

In protest – east tennessee woman takes her case to steps of high court

1. J.P. says:

Well put…..and thats completely rediculous….

Just remember that not all of your friends from Tennessee are that way…;)

2. SBC says:

it’s good to remember that each citizen is a citizen of two "countries" – the US and the state that they reside in (TN in this case). Each with its constitution, checks & balances to protect the citizens and their rights.

3. Wallym says:

I live in TN and I have tons of funny TN stories. All I can say is that there are a bunch of people here that cut off their nose to spite their face.

Wally

4. sara ford says:

No worries J.P. We southern folks with our Sweet Tea and our Mardi Gras holidays have to stick together. Man, i really miss those Mardi Gras Holidays.

5. sara ford says:

Hi SBC,

You’re absolutely right. For me, this case is a perfect example of the "letter of the law" versus the "spirit of the law." It’s really about people taking responsibility for their actions, for their citizens, and so forth. I could care less whether it is unconstitutional for the supreme court to force TN to adhere to ADA. What bothers me is that TN won’t do "the right thing". This isn’t one of those city disputes whether to raise taxes or how often the garbage gets picked up. It’s about doing the right thing, whether or not it is a law. At the end of the day, it’s those TN lawmakers who have to go to sleep at night. Just like i have to go to sleep at night knowing i’m doing "the right thing" making my product accessible.

Thanks!

6. sara ford says:

Hi Wallym,

your comment reminds me of how i wrote a short story in high school about my family at thanksgiving time. It won 3rd place in the state of mississippi for fiction. (that’s "fiction") Although no one in my family did anything to their noses, there are still the L-shape holes in the 2nd floor bedroom (my bedroom) where my uncle drilled to change the 1st floor ceiling fan light bulb. It’s too bad that he didn’t measure first where he should start drilling. =) Yeah, pretty unbelievable.

7. bliz says:

Aah. Reading about this makes me proud to be from Tennessee.

Uh, no. Strike that. I’m not from Tennessee at all.

Nope.

Well…. shucks. Yep. Now where did I put the keys to my pickup truck?

8. Read a little bit down the page:

"If any or all of the stories in this section caused your internal clue phone to ring, we hope you didn’t let the answering machine take the call. That niggling little voice of common sense whispering to you in the background was right — there was something wrong with what you read.

You’ve just had an enounter with False Authority Syndrome.

Everything in this section is a spoof. Mister Ed was no more a zebra than the origin of the nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence had anything to do with pirates on a recruiting drive. As for Mississippi’s doing away with teaching fractions and decimals in its school systems because kids find them too hard to master, that’s no more true than Kentucky’s imposing a licensing fee on uses of its name, Edgar Rice Burroughs naming his celebrated apeman after the city he lived in (other way around, actually), George Bernard Shaw penning a poorly-attended play called Closed For Remodeling, passengers on the Titanic viewing a 1912 silent version of The Poseidon Adventure while their doomed ship was sinking out from under them, or the design of California’s flag being the result of "pear" being taken for "bear."