A DevCenter account is required in order to submit both free and paid apps to the Windows Store and Windows Phone. You can create a DevCenter account for free using your DreamSpark account in just four simple steps. From the screenshots, it might look intimidating, but it’s really simple and easy and won’t take more than 5 minutes. If you would like to have a DreamSpark account, you must contact your Computer Science department or local Microsoft Student Partners (MSP).
Step 1: Order “DreamSpark.com verification code to get free access to Microsoft Windows Store” from your DreamSpark account.
This is how it’s done:
- Log in to your DreamSpark Account
- Select “Other” from categories and click on “DreamSpark.com verification code to get free access to Microsoft Windows Store” to order
- Add to Cart > Check Out > Proceed with Order
Next you will get the order receipt where you will find the verification code (see picture below)
Step 2: Create Account in DreamSpark for Students and Map your Accounts
- · Go to www.dreamspark.com
- · Click on Students and then on “Create Account”
Fill up the required account information and click on “Continue to verify.” Next you will see the following page, select “I was issued a verification code” and enter the verification code you ordered earlier from your DreamSpark Account and then click on the “verify” button.
Next you will see the following page which says that your academic status has been successfully verified. At the bottom of that page you will find an option to Map your Accounts.
Clicking on “Map Your Accounts” will lead you to Microsoft sign in page. Once you sign in by entering your Microsoft Account (live/Hotmail/outlook) and password, you will receive a message saying that your account has been successfully mapped. Click on “Continue.”
Step 3: Get Your Registration Code
Again go to students > app development > Windows Phone 8 Learn More. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you will navigate to. Under “Publish your app” you will find the option “Get your registration code” in red. Click on it.
Next you will see the following page, click on “Get code now.”
This is your registration code (see picture below)
Step 4: Create DevCenter Account
- Go to https://dev.windowsphone.com
- Sign in using your Microsoft Account and password
- Go to Dashboard, where you will be asked to “Register as an app developer”, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Accept and continue.”
- Next you will be prompt to either enter the last 4 digits of your phone number or your alternate email address, so that Microsoft can send you a security code over either mail or text (SMS).
- Enter the security code you received via email/text (SMS).
- Next you need to select your country. You cannot change the country and account type later on.
- Select an account type. There are two types of Accounts – Individual and Company. As you are using DreamSpark Code to open DecCenter Account, you should select individual as your account type.
- Then fill up the Developer Account Information and click “Next.” Note: Do not use comma while entering address.
- Read the Agreement that will come next and check the box that says “I accept the terms and conditions of the App Developer Agreement”. Then click on “Next.”
- Next you will navigate to Payment Option. Select “Use a token” and enter the registration code you acquired in step 3 and click “Next.”
Go through the Purchase Summary, if everything looks fine go ahead and click “Purchase”, otherwise click “Back” and edit. You are done! If you are planning to submit free apps, just click “Done”. But if you want to submit paid apps too, you need to set up your payment account and tax profile. Note: You can set up or edit your payment account and tax profile later from your Dashboard.
Congratulations! you now have DevCenter account. You will also find DevCenter for Windows Store in the Dashboard of your Windows Phone DevCenter and vice versa.
Article courtesy: Anika Sayara