This is the first publication starting a series of blogs about High Availability of SAP NetWeaver in
virtualized environments running on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V.
Part 1 gives an introduction and a brief overview (see attached document):
– Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V
– Basic WS2012 Hyper-V HA Scenarios
1. Partial : virtualizing application servers / dialog instances only and keeping the database
as well as message server and ERS on bare-metal. This is the easiest way to start
with virtualization in a SAP landscape. No specific HA configuration is needed for
application servers / dialog instances. It’s handled by redundancy. One just has to
make sure that there are enough of them running on different physical servers.
2. Low : rely on storage only (e.g. RAID ) / backup
3. Medium : accept downtime due to HA only on host level
4. High : HA on host level + application level inside VMs
5. Ultra : HA across data centers or fire safety zones
6. Ultra+ : business continuity -> adding disaster recovery in 3rd remote DC
More blogs with technical implementation details regarding specific HA scenarios will follow in the future.