Sandcastle Source Code published in Codeplex

I am very pleased to announce the availability of the Sandcastle project with source code at The source code can be downloaded from the Releases tab at and also from the Source code tab at

Last month I blogged about the removal of Sandcastle project from Codeplex at and asked for your feedback. It is very clear from the emails I recieved from all of you and from various blogs that  publishing the source code is the right thing to do for the Sandcastle customers. I thank you for this thread and for all the great community efforts and support around Sandcastle and it’s adoption rates.

I also would like to thank Sam Ramji, Scott Stein and Sara Ford from Microsoft for being strong advocates of the open source community.

Thank you again for all for your patience.  Please feel free to contact me ( directly regarding any questions. Cheers.

1. If you are not familiar with Sandcastle , it is a tool which takes your source code XML comments and

2. blowdart says:

Well it’s a start; but a zip? Really? That kind of defeats part of the object. We can’t browse the source on-line, or look at what’s changed.

Is there a possibility of publishing it as actual source files? It’s easy enough to automate with the TFS command line tools; hint 😉

3. Garry Trinder says:

Sure and I can publish the source files in a seperate folder so that you can browse them online.

4. CCNetConfig says:

Sandcastle back on CodePlex with Source Code

5. My latest in a series of the weekly, or more often, summary of interesting links I come across related to Visual Studio. Greg Duncan posted a link to the DevExpress announcement of AgDataGrid Suite Beta 1 , available free of charge to Silverlight developers

6. Hosam Kamel says:

Sandcastle team has announced the pulpishing of SandCastle source code to CodePlex. Project Page at CodePlex

7. CoqBlog says:

Je vous en parlais la dernière fois , le projet Sandcastle avait été mis en état non publié pour cause

8. WPF The decidedly badly named LoadingCircle WPF Control Pt 1 [Via: Chris Skardon ] Link Collections…

9. SelormeyPaul says:

>>Anand: …I can publish the source files in a seperate

Just simply delete the source from the source control, since it already available for download and have a peace of mind.

Best regards,

10. The Sandcastle project, Microsoft's tools to generate documentation from your well-documented code

11. Sathyaish Chakravarthy says:

Hi Anand,

I have 2 questions:

1) I understand that you use an earlier version of CCI Metadata to read IL metadata. Since Sandcastle does not need to look into the method body and only needs to read method signatures and the API or just the metadata of any assembly, why did you go to the trouble of using CCI metadata and why did you not simply use System.Reflection? I am guessing it is because of performance. System.Reflection is much slower than CCI metadata.

2) I am going to download and read the source but this will save me time. Do you at any time use the CodeDOM? Although I can't foresee any reason you would use it, since all you need to do is read code metadata and not construct code, but still, one can never be sure. I am interested because I am doing some research on CodeDOM and would like to learn about real world projects that are using it. If you do use CodeDOM, then in which particular scenario are you using it?