Day #8 - Fitbit Activity Dashboard
As part of my Power BI 12 Days of Dashboards series, day #8 showcases a customized Fitbit dashboard. This could easily be extended to build a dashboard for Garmin, Microsoft Band, or any other activity tracker that allows for data export.
Here is an example of the dashboard showing my yearly metrics. You can build this with your own Fitbit data by following the steps below.
The first step to creating this dashboard is to export your Fitbit stats from http://www.fitbit.com/.
- Navigate to http://www.fitbit.com/
- Click on “View Settings" (gear icon), then "Settings" on the top ribbon
- On the left, click on "Data Export"
- This next part is quite manual due to the Fitbit limitation of only allowing you to export 31 days at a time. Export your monthly stats for your desired time frame into a dedicated folder. This folder path will be the input parameter for the dashboard, so only place your exported .csv files in this path. I exported all 12 months in building this. TIP: Only select Activity in the data type selections.
Next, download the Power BI Template from here and continue with the following steps:
- Download and open the attached FitbitTemplate.pbit file and open it in Power BI Desktop
- A popup box appears asking for the full path of the folder of your exported .csv files from the above steps. Provide the full path to the folder on your computer and click the "Load" button in the bottom right. Leave the first parameter as it is, just fill in the second parameter containing the folder path.
Please leave a comment if you've enjoyed the dashboard or if you have any additional suggestions to improve it.
Sam Lester (MSFT)