SharePoint 2010 – Editing user profiles displays error for some properties


I have seen a couple of issues where users are attempting to edit their profiles and report the following error:


"There was a problem retrieving data for this field. Updating values in this field is disabled temporarily. You can still update values in other fields".




clip_image002


 



What might seem odd is that it doesn’t affect all properties but only a few. Some built-in properties are enabled to utilize the Managed Metadata Service Application. That is, when you edit one of these particular properties, you will notice a term set field available.


For Example: The Proxy addresses property:


clip_image004


 


Cause # 1:


Properties containing these fields are linked to the Managed Metadata Service Application. These particular properties require a healthy Managed Metadata Service Application\Service Connection as well as associated (service instance) to be started.


For Example: Central Administrator\System Settings\Manage services on server 


clip_image005


When a Managed Metadata Service Application is unhealthy or the associated service instance is stopped, you will run into these errors on OOB properties that are enabled to utilize Managed Metadata Service


 


Cause # 2:


The Managed Metadata Service Connection is missing from the associated proxy group . I would verify this by going into Central Administrator\Application Management\Manage Web Applications. Select corresponding web application and hit the Service Connections button from the ribbon.


 


Note:  This error could also throw on custom properties if they were created with a term set field.


Comments (3)

  1. haupt says:

    This happens if you script your installation (as I did to get the database names the way I want them).

    Your Managed Metadata Service Application can still be running and sound, but the User Profile fields are not connected to any Term Sets. But creating Term Sets (and terms) and associating the Profile Fields with the Term Sets doesn't fix the problem. Any Clues?

  2. haupt says:

    Turned out that either I missed a PowerShell command or that the PowerShell command doesn't do everything needed. I (re-)created the Managed Metadata Service using CA and now it works like a charm.

    I tried to use:

    New-SPMetadataServiceApplication  -Name $serviceName `

    -ApplicationPool $appPool `

    -DatabaseName $databaseName `

    -DatabaseServer $databaseServer

    New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name $proxyName `

    -uri (Get-SPServiceApplication -Name $serviceName).Uri

    but this is not enough.

  3. Lavina says:

    Also note, If you have created another Managed Metadata Service Application(which has the termsets you have associated with custom user properties in User Profile Service)only Managed Metadata Service Connection property for that service is set to "This service application is the default storage location for Keywords". This should be unchecked d from the Default Managed Metadata Service Connection property.

Skip to main content