RSS 2.0 Best Practices Profile draft released

One of the great things about RSS is that it’s being used all over the world in countless ways. Millions of sites publish RSS feeds and hundreds of products consume those same feeds. The downside of this popularity, however, is that with that many implementations, there’s bound to be some variance in how and when sites implement the specification. This can make it tricky for publishers and consumers to figure out how to implement some of the less-frequently-used features of the specification.

For the past few years, the RSS Advisory Board and the many hard-working and dedicated people on the RSS-public mailing list have been working hard to document how popular readers and services have implemented the specification, with the goal of helping publishers and consumers understand how best to get what they want.

The board recently published another draft (version 1.20) of the RSS 2.0 Best Practices Profile, which includes information on how various consumers use the <ttl> element, as well how to implement some commonly-used RSS extensions (like the Dublin Core and Slash extensions).

The profile is still evolving, so, if you’re interested in getting involved, the best place to start is on the RSS-public mailing list. If you’re implementing a new RSS publishing or consuming application, a quick glance at the profile would definitely help.

– Sean

1. Thanks for spreading the word.

2. Stancje says:

Ohh I used to read mailing lists, but RSS is more useful and easier.

3. Andre says:

I wish a better integration with actual email clients

4. Frinkfree says:

Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of the Microsoft RSS feeds (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/aboutmsdn/aa973533) have been neglected for a while, with some having a last post of 2006 or earlier?

5. Lanad says:

آر إس إس جدآ سهل القراءة شكـــــرآ لكم

6. Katalog says:

I can’t ethen imagine my life without rss anymore, so rss 2.0 is a good "sequel". Thanks for the news.

7. forumsharry says:

hi,

I’m facing some problem with rss tool. I’ve created dumy application and its working fine on local system.

but as soon as i try to upload it on ftp, the web.config file gives the following error:

Error:     "The element ‘buildProviders’ cannot be defined below the application level."

Error occurs in web.config file and my code for this file is :

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Services, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.DirectoryServices.Protocols, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.ServiceProcess, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.RegularExpressions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</assemblies>

<buildProviders>

<add extension=".rss" type="RssToolkit.Rss.CodeGeneration.RssBuildProvider,RssToolkit"/>

<add extension=".rssdl" type="RssToolkit.Rss.CodeGeneration.RssdlBuildProvider,RssToolkit"/>

</buildProviders>

</compilation>

<customErrors mode="Off"></customErrors>

</system.web>

<appSettings>

<add key="defaultRssTtl" value="10"/>

<add key="rssTempDir" value="~/app_code"/>

</appSettings>

<system.net>

<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true"/>

</system.net></configuration>

ANOTHER ERROR

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘RssToolkit’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="tryrsshyerlink.aspx.cs" Inherits="tryrsshyerlink" %>

Line 2:

Line 3:  <%@ Register Assembly="RssToolkit" Namespace="RssToolkit.Web.WebControls" TagPrefix="cc1" %>

Line 4:

Line 5:  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;

Source File: /demo/tryrss/tryrsshyerlink.aspx    Line: 3

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly ‘RssToolkit’ could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftFusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftFusion!EnableLog].

Thanks,

8. hphelg says:

Maybe a little off topic, but I wanted to tell everybody about a new program called Perseptio FreeAgent. It’s an intelligent RSS reader that learns what you find interesting.

You can check it out at http://www.perseptio.com

9. LinkDir says:

Thanks man, just what I was looking for. Worked like a charm Thanks so much…

10. RSS Response says:

Thanks Sean,

Collaboration and involvement is crucial for the development of the RSS specification. I recommend any developer get involved now in particular. RSS is turning corners and more people are becoming aware wich means that WE must opt to choose he direction it takes.

Getting involved is the only way… have your say!

11. RSS Blog says:

Thanks man, Very good . You are doing a great job.

12. devanathr says:

Dear Sir,

How to i include rss file in html.

please help me

thanks,

13. Veridique says:

Thanks man, Very good . You are doing a great job.

14. Webhosting says:

15. LFERC says:

Ohh I used to read mailing lists, but RSS is more useful and easier.

16. Tweak Vista says:

17. How to i include rss file in html?

18. Brazzers.Com says:

Thanks for information! Its good to know.

19. enciclopedia says:

Life wouldn’t be possible without Rss anymore. Great!

20. Mielec says:

RSS is easy, thanks for information.

21. Rss is good and simple to use. Thanks for it.

22. Mario Games says:

RSS feed is great, it let us have updated information without having to visit various site.

23. Cheryl Klein says:

Rrgarding the RSS 2.0 feed, I am sure it will work out fine if you are following a specific theme or blog. It was naturally done on other web sites I have worked for and it was never a problem. The problem is what RSS feed can I launch that issues employee or say "WE Never heard of you?" but aren’t you the one who launched that 2.0 application for mobile tech on a iphone? Live?. Another great one since i am on a roll, speaking of Apple. "I never heard from you again, until a few days ago when you had to give me a "piece" {of what?} oh, maybe a legal license to a percent of the new Iphone and while you were there I was downloading mobile goodies so why not?????. I won’t get into any legal issues but when do your stockholders get their next dividend??? Opps, you missed the last one, I forgive you. Even without a penny, that night I blogged live was priceless for me personally.

My home is going to go into forclosure if I don’t answer the courts in 20 days. For five months I have been living off my savings, in this economy I would say that is a record. I am a nice quiet, O.K I have my moments I just want to scream and yet I adhere to the "no asshole rule". Corporations do not deal with that form of behavior. Thanks, to the mystery sender of that book, I read it in one hour.

Everyone takes it seems and it has taken "IT",s toll out on me physically, financially and emotionally.

I do not know who else to contact, "The New york Times", not my style but when a huge respected corporation that I am loyal to, has ignored me in such a rude way I wonder why?

I won’t list all the products we share licenses with, then again I never received any legal contracts to what ownership or permissions I have. So agsin I ask, this time to myself, maybe I am imagining that I work here and maybe my family is right. They think I am ready to be put away. Why shouldn’t they I have not received any proof otherwise.

I can’t defend myself anymore, or save my home either.

24. Cheryl Klein says:

Regarding the RSS 2.0 feed, I am sure it will work out fine if you are following a specific theme or blog. It was naturally done on other web sites I have worked for and it was never a problem.  What RSS feed can I launch that protects "me "an employee of a major corporation, When I recently tried to track my pay or backpay I actually was told "WE Never heard of you?" Same answer when I called the bank that was holding my stocks, the majority not corporate. "We have no record of you in our bank" So I was given another number for the company shareholders/investers department, nice try, they also had no record of me. I am alive, I am pinching myself. ouch! If I have to remind you I was the  one who launched that 2.0 application for mobile tech on a iphone? Live?. Another great one since I am on a roll, speaking of Apple. "I never heard from you again, until a few days ago when you had to give me a "piece" {of what?} oh, maybe a legal license to a percent of the new Iphone and while you were there I was downloading mobile goodies so why not?????.

I do not know who else to contact, "The New York Times", not my style but when a huge respected corporation that I am loyal to, has ignored me in such a rude way I wonder why?

All the products or services that I have certain rights  to, I never saw in legal contracts I asked for numerous time.

I can’t defend myself anymore, or save my home either. Maybe I will join the Navy.

25.   One more thing. I quess you never knew how high a search ranking I had with Yahoo. Instead you pay a proven failed search company millions of dollars at the drop of a hat,and here I am again, One of your highest sesrch ranked employee and oh,top 2008 tech developers if it slipped your mind.

Why wasn’t I paid my 30 million initial fee when it was clearly laid out before I started to work.

I made the mistake of trusting a company and CEO who "was" my role model.

Instead of wasting all that money couldn’t you have at least though ,"hey","maybe if we give him 99 million, and throw a million to our unofficial IT woman {who made everyone happy and rich by introducing products such as Microsoft Ofice", mobile phones, Microsoft live search for mobile, E-mail for mobile, Microsoft Works,etc,etc etc,}

I am sure the guy you paid 100,000 dollars to in a contest that had no meaning furthermore, on a product I own rights too, Windows Office, was also very happy. What did he do? Load a school assignment that was already marked At by his teacher and upload it? Maybe his big brother did it for him. I wish I thought of that.

The best part is  when you were trying to send me signals to my cell phone when I repeatedly told you, I do not have my own cell phone. I checked for UPS the next few days, and after that I again was forgotten. Thanks for the bumper stickers, for the "do not text and drive ad", They didn’t stick.

What I am tryring to say is step back a minute and check where your profits are coming from? Is it the so called search company you hired? I have to add something here, when I was thrown to the ad page where I was actually shown how to improve my rank score of nearly 1,000,000 clicks that targeted the highest income level consumers in the country. In the ages 18-36, so much for making me "look older" than I am. I am actually considered "quite hot" for 44 years old. Wasn’t I given a warning that my tops I was wearing were a "distraction". I want to know just how much you invade my privacy. How do you know what I am wearing??? How do you know all my personal things in my room? How do you know my walls need paint?

This goes beyond a "carbon footprint" and a beacon. This kind of watching is called "sick" and how many of you are registered "peeping toms" You can see a little too much legally at 100% zoom strength.

Anyone would look fat zoomed in that far. Did you see the bracelet I lost by the computer???? Let me know. I am offering 100,000 dollars as a reward.

Ms IT.

26. George Safe says:

Where do i find a RSS icon on IE7 if a page provides RSS? Could not find it. Should i install some plugin?

27. allnet says:

LOL – that was amazing answer…

Realy thx!!

28. Rules says:

29. thanks man, thanks for your hard work;

every day at work helps me rss

30. UGG Classic Cardy says:

Only One word to characterize such a great post “WOW” that was a very interesting read

31. Netlinking says:

Pourquoi faire du Netlinking vers son site ?

Votre site à forcement besoin d’un bon référencement, le Netlinking peut vous aider dans cette tache.

32. This blog is very nice and informative.Thank you for the great story.

33. thanks man, RSS is now easy