Feeds not updating?

We’ve received some reports of users noticing that their feeds subscription stop updating after upgrades. Our investigations show that these tend to occur after upgrades from one pre-release build of Windows Vista to another version.

If you’re encountering this issue, first make sure that the feed URL is still valid by manually updating the feed (press F5 while viewing the feed in IE7). If no error shows up, then the following steps might help diagnose and fix the issue. Please let me know if they help/not help.

Note: The following steps are *not* addressing Outlook 2007’s RSS support. If you are having issues with feeds in Outlook please refer to the Outlook blog.

Actions

1. Check if Task Scheduler is running

sc queryex schedule

Look at the “STATE:” line, it should read “4 RUNNING” if it’s not running, then start it

sc start schedule

2. Check if RSS Download Engine is running

reg query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Feeds /v SyncStatus

Look at the “Status” line, it should read “0x01” or “0x1“. If it isn’t enabled, then enable it

msfeedssync enable

3. Check if task is corrupted

schtasks /query | findstr /i “user_feed”

Look for

ERROR: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.

ERROR: Task cannot be loaded: User_Feed_Synchronization-{..

If corrupted, then delete and re-create the task

msfeedssync disable

msfeedssync enable

If your feeds are still not updating in the background after following these steps (you’ll have to wait for the download interval to pass to make sure), please send us an email at teamrss[at]microsoft.com.

– Walter vonKoch

Program Manager

[4/2/2007] Updated step #2 that “0x01” and “0x1” are possible values. This are the same in this context.

[10/12/2007] Inserted a note that this post does *not* help with Outlook 2007, this post is focused on the Windows RSS Platform and applications built on top of the platform, for example: Internet Explorer 7, Vista Sidebar Feed Gadget, …

1. Hi,

Can you tell me why my feeds folders doesn’t auto-close while changing from a feed to another feed (in another folder) ?

This behavior happens on Windows Vista Ultimate (UAC ON), not on XP Pro. (BTW, another problem resolved by itself : folders title wasn’t bold when unread feeds inside was)

I usually have 160+ feeds in a bunch of folders and sub-folders and a little vbs i wrote to mark all feeds as read when needed.

(recursively explore all feeds and folders with a Microsoft.FeedsManager object)

TIA

2. DouglasH says:

Have the issue where folder title or feed title will not unbold although shows all read.

also recently am not able to subscribe to feeds will get error subscribing to feed  error.

is there anyway to update the store for feeds?? or run error correction as can be done in mail. ??

Running about 200 feeds

3. nathanscott says:

I had this issue in XP and I tried the above steps, but unfortunately it didn’t help.

However, I deleted the feeds folder and now it works properly (I’m sure I could’ve just deleted the FeedsStore file alone to fix the problem).

Jean-Marc, (if you haven’t already figured this out) just go to advanced settings and you’ll see an option that says "close unused folders in History and Favorites" (which should really include "Feeds", eh?)

4. Thanks Nathanscott,

Just the checkbox i searched for !

5. errors says:

I get these errors:

TaskName                             Next Run Time            Status

==================================== ======================== ===============

User_Feed_Synchronization-{DC1FF25F- 04:10:00, 17/01/2007     Could not start

User_Feed_Synchronization-{DC1FF25F- 04:10:00, 17/01/2007     Could not start

6. EL-DJOUHEUR says:

HI MY FEEDS HIS GOINE CAN U HALP M FOR THATS PROBLEM BECOUSE MY MSN HIS DASNT OPEN

7. Joris says:

So actually i tried the opposite: disable the feedssync.

So i did C:>msfeedssync disable

And verified C:>reg query HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftFeeds /v SyncStatus

Which confirms it to be off

KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftFeeds

SyncStatus  REG_DWORD       0x0

However, after an hour and a half, i am still receiving events….(default schedule is set to 15 minutes)

How long does it take fo the feeds engine to go and have a nap?

(XP Home SP2)

8. TMaster says:

Oops, I just commented about this over on IEBlog.

XP Home SP2 – affected by what appears to be the same issue. I can still update manually, so it’s not THAT bad, but still. Everything up to step 2 worked for me, however, I do not appear to have "schtasks" command – I suspect it might be Vista only? Anyway, I looked at my Scheduled tasks control panel applet (folder, actually), and can’t see a feed-related entry.

Any additional steps I should take to help you guys debug?

9. Christopher says:

I am still running RC2, but even since I installed it, the .mp3 enclosures on my podcast RSS feeds aren’t downloading with the error "(Download error – Blocked file type)" but I see no reason why these would be blocked.  I have tried what was mentioned on the blog but everything still checked out OK.  Thanks for any help.

10. Glen says:

I block outgoing, if I new what application to allow access for newsfeeds it would make life easier.

11. TMaster says:

Glen, I seem to recall msfeedssync.exe does that for me.

I’m not a Microsoft employee though – no warranties.

As for the Microsoft guys here – have you been able to figure out what’s been going on?

12. Govind says:

platform vista-

I want to find out where are my feeds stored, I deleted them from my outlook/ie but still some of the reappear in outlook engine. I just want a command line interface to removing the unwanted feed subscription or visual one through outlook/ie/simplefolder based design.

13. nathanscott says:

Govind, I’ve had the same problem you’ve had with Outlook, unfortunately I can’t explain how to remove them completely from Outlook, because I think they’re embedded in the main database file.

However, I can tell you how to disable them from syncing:

Either go to Tools -> Send/Receive -> Send/Receive Settings -> Define Send/Receive Groups… or just type Ctrl+Alt+S :)

Then hit the Edit button for whichever group you’re using (All Accounts is usually the only one), click on the RSS "Account" on the left, and uncheck the "Include RSS Feeds in the Send/Recieve group".

If you’re curious about where IE7 keeps the feeds, you can find them here:

For XP:

Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFeeds

For Vista:

Users%username%AppDataLocalMicrosoftFeeds

14. @Govind – Is your Outlook connected to Exchange and do you have other computers with Outlook that might still download RSS?

If that is so, you might want to double check that you have RSS turned off in all Outlook clients.

15. Walter [MSFT] says:

@Glen, TMaster is correct that msfeedssync.exe runs to download feeds in the background.

16. Walter [MSFT] says:

@TMaster – In the scheduled tasks control panel you need to enable viewing of hidden tasks. (Advanced | View Hidden Tasks)

Please take a look at %windir%schedlgu.txt to see what the Results are for User_Feed_… jobs executing.

17. Walter [MSFT] says:

@DouglasH – Please try to delete the FeedsStore.feedsdb-ms file in %userprofile%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFeeds

Then manually refresh a feed. Let us know if the feed and folder bolding works again.

18. Walter [MSFT] says:

@errors – can you also take a look at %windir%schedlgu.txt to see what the results are for the executions of User_Feed_… jobs?

19. TMaster says:

Thanks for the tip of viewing hidden tasks! I can see it now.

I looked at the .txt file, and no errors were reported as far as I can see – they all had a exit/return code of zero.

Then again, since the start of this log file, I haven’t seen any problems yet. This is probably due to my low current uptime, due to Windows updates and such.

Once I notice my feeds are no longer updating, I’ll try to remember this topic. Thanks!

20. Glen says:

Thanks TMaster and Walter, added msfeedssync.exe to outbound firewall rules and my news feed is now updating. It did not work straight away, may have started working after reboot.

Thanks Guys.

21. Doug Rhoten says:

I ran into a problem where the feeds were not being updated in Outlook 2007. Using the steps above everything checked out OK, but what was odd is that the feeds were being updated in IE7 but not Outlook.

Poking around I found that I had 120 feeds in IE7 while Outlook only showed 54 under tools – accounts – RSS feeds.

There are two things I have modified with the RSS Feeds in Outlook 2007.

1) I moved checking the RSS Feeds to a seperate Send/Receive group because * COUGH * COUGH * it appeared to be synchronous call and would render Outlook completely unusable while the feeds were being checked.

2) I moved each feed to another folder below RSS Feeds based on the category, and use search folders to display all the feeds from that Folder/Category in one view. So each feed is now located two folders down from RSS Feeds. Ie. RSS Feeds – Category – Feed.

I was actually able to resolve the problem, by going to and clicking on each individual feed folder in the Outlook navigation pane. Checking the count of feeds under the account tab showed 120.

A couple of questions

1) If a feed fails to refresh X number of times, does it get removed from the RSS Feed list in the accounts tab? I am behind a very restrive ISA server at work and wonder if after failing a couple of times it gets automatically (and silently) removed from the list.

2) Is there any log file that I can review to see if there are any feeds that have failed to refresh?

I will subscribe to the comments, but just in case my feeds break again you can ping me using my first name and the domain hai-q.com.

Doug

22. TMaster says:

My feeds are still updating, and it appears the problem no longer occurs. I’m not yet sure, however. I’d only dare to make that statement once I have a uptime of at least two weeks.

However, I did notice something that might’ve been able to explain the problem. In the past, one of my feeds (http://news.livejournal.com/data/rss) only updated right after visiting LiveJournal itself. I’m guessing this was some kind of cookie/expiration/authentication problem on their side. Ever since THIS feed started working again, I’m no longer seeing the problem. I hope this might point you in the right direction, though.

23. TMaster says:

They stopped updating last night. I can see one error in the log file, but it’s not in a user_feed*.job, but in a job that executes mobsync.exe. This isn’t too relevant, or is it? I backed up the log file just to be sure.

Apparently, the job file for feed syncing (user_feed_*.job) kept running even after the error occured, but then 2 hours and 36 minutes after the error entry, the job stops running, only giving exit codes of zero and no new errors. Once it stops, it STOPS, so it doesn’t even start again without exiting.

I followed the steps mentioned at the top of the page again, but as I said, I do not have the "schtasks" file or command.

I just tried this again, however:

msfeedssync disable

msfeedssync enable

and after waiting a while (for the job to run again), my feeds were updated again.

Hope this info helps!

24. Another issue might be IE7 not appearing to correctly implement the Syndication extension for both RSS 1.0 and Atom. Instead of dividing the updatePeriod by the updateFrequency IE7 appears to multiple the two values.

So when I looked at a feed which had <sy:updatePeriod>daily</sy:updatePeriod> and   <sy:updateFrequency>2</sy:updateFrequency> specified IE7 stated the default "update schedule" for this subscribed RSS 1.0 feed as 2880 minutes (2 days) instead of 720 minutes (12 hours).

25. Bill says:

Regarding the instructions at the top of this page,

Check if RSS Download Engine is running

reg query HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftFeeds /v SyncStatus

Look at the "Status" line, it should read "0x01". If it isn’t enabled, then enable it

msfeedssync enable

When I look at the status line it says "0X1"

What does that mean?  Also,

msfeedssync disable

msfeedssync enable

does not seem to change the status.

Thanks folks!

Best wishes,

Bill

26. Alan says:

Hi all,

I thought my feeds were not updating originally, until I realised I had them only updating once a day. I clicked on feed properties on the RSS page in IE to change this.

However something that annoys me about Vista RSS gadget, is that it rotates all the time, I would prefer it just to show the top 10 and have the top 10 fixed, I dont want to see 1-4 then 5-8 then 9-12, as I’ve probably already read them, just 1-10 and fixed.

Any ideas how to do that?

27. Susan Makarian, SDET [MSFT] says:

Sometimes feeds are not updating because  FeedsStore.feedsdb-ms file got corrupted.

In such cases you can try the following:

1. Close Internet Explorer.

2. Move FeedsStore.feedsdb-ms file to somewhere else on your local drive.

3. Back in IE, hit refresh so the file is recreated.

4. If things start working as expected,  delete the old FeedsStore.feedsdb-ms file.

28. Tom K says:

More clues….

I noticed that my IE7 will not automatically update…even after trying all the items in this blog. However, RSS in Outlook 2007 seems to be updating OK. My IE7 problem started weeks before Office 2007 was installed.. Are they conficting? I don’t think they are sharing the same db because I ended up with double entries in Outlook , after trying to deleting and recreating the feeds int IE7.

29. Werner says:

I have found that the schedule task return error and that results in the feed not updating.

in one case reseting the default task user did the trick in the other case i had to recreate the feed.

30. Alex says:

I added few feeds to my Outlook 2007 and went to a vacation soon after that. My Outlook was completely disconnected from everything for at least two weeks. After I returned to regular life I realized my feeds are no longer updated. I opened RSS feeds settings (Tools -> Account settings -> RSS Feeds) and found out that all feeds I added before vacation are gone. They are just not in the list of feeds. All feeds I added after vacation are in place.

Do those feeds expire if they are not updated or read in some time? Two weeks, perhaps? How can I disable this behavior if yes?

Best wishes,

Alex

31. Jim says:

I found two run times on this, one was for every 5 minutes, one was a one time. I deleted the one-time as it didn’t seem to have any effect. The 5 minute task had been set forward to a month in advance, which was caused by my setting the clock forward a while back to test some software. Check your 5 minute start date, make sure it’s current.

Also I was able to manually fire up the sync by running:

"C:WINDOWSsystem32msfeedssync.exe sync"

32. Jean-Marc says:

Hi, you can force a global feeds refresh with a :    msfeedssync forcesync

Bye

33. TMaster says:

Hey, thanks, Jean-Marc! That might make for a cool Quick Launch shortcut.

34. TMaster says:

Yup, the problem is here again. Apparently, Task Scheduler thinks the task is still running – the context menu offers an option to end the task. msfeedssync.exe is NOT in my process list, however. Renaming the FeedsStore.feedsdb-ms does NOT help (I assume there’s no need to actually move the file, if I’m wrong, feel free to correct me).

Need more info? Just ask. I’m still subscribed to the comments here, and it’s in my benefit to have a fix for this problem, even though I’ve seen much worse bugs.

35. Matt says:

I had the same problem as Jim:

Also I was able to manually fire up the sync by running:

"C:WINDOWSsystem32msfeedssync.exe sync"

But i went to Control Panle -> Scheduled Tasks -> Advanced -> View Hidden Tasks -> double click msfeedsyc. like he said and i went to {127CC62B-6CF0-41A5-8E17-FE9EEAFE0C84} and changed it from when idle to Daily. then i left {F897AA24-BDC3-11D1-B85B-00C04FB93981} how it was.I left MP Scheduled Scan alone as well then went to User_Feed_Synchronization-{3EE9E509-51C4-40C9-A7CD-ACB246D7C4D2} and went to the Schedule Tab and found two run times on this, So i deleted both because had the year 2011 on them and then added a new one for today and now my Feeds are updating like normal again and it only took like 1 second or less before i noticed that what i did fixed my Feed problem.

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 by the way too.

36. TMaster says:

For the record, my start time is in the past, but updates to 15 minutes in the future when I manually refresh all feeds. (And of course I have the other schedule, which runs every 5 minutes as of midnight.

Is Microsoft working on a fix? I’d love to know. By now, a lot of feedback and information has been given. :-)

37. Rob says:

I am having the RSS sync issue in Outlook 2007. I have tried everything on this page to no avail.

If anyone has any other ideas, I’d love to hear them!

Rob

38. Mikey says:

I’m having the RSS sync issue in Outlook 2007 as well.  I have tried everything too… nothing helps.

39. Alex M. says:

"I get these errors:

TaskName                             Next Run Time            Status

==================================== ======================== ===============

User_Feed_Synchronization-{DC1FF25F- 04:10:00, 17/01/2007     Could not start

User_Feed_Synchronization-{DC1FF25F- 04:10:00, 17/01/2007     Could not start "

I also get such errors? What’s wrong? Can you help?

40. Chris says:

Same issue as TMaster, Matt and Jim, with the same symptoms (two schedules, one in the future, both every five minutes, neither seems to do anything).

Anyone from MS care to comment?

41. Chris says:

I just discovered that this may be related to changing your computer name. See http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/06/09/100440.aspx

I haven’t gotten a workaround yet, but now that I think about it, I did change my computer name around the time the feeds died for me.

42. Chris says:

Ok, I really should have just done one post instead of three in the span of 5 minutes, but…

If you change your computer name, feeds updating will die. The cause is the "run as" field in the scheduled process (control panel -> scheduled tasks -> advanced -> view hidden tasks -> User_Feed_Synchronization)

No matter what I do, the run as field seems to want to revert to

old_computer_nameusername

Clearly this is no good since my old computer name isn’t valid anymore.

If I try to change it to

new_computer_nameusername

It reverts to the old name as soon as I press ok or apply.

If anyone finds a fix, please post a comment on this blog.

43. Chris says:

Ok, seems to be working now. Here’s what I did.

On the scheduled task, disable the checkbox "runonly if logged on", this allowed me to type in a password and change the computer name in a way that would stick.

At some point in this, the task scheduler service became disabled. I restarted it as per the instructions at the top.

I double checked the computer name in the scheduled task and it seems to have stuck.

I re-enabled the "runonly if logged on" checkbox.

Seems to work now.

Anyways, the problem seems to be caused by issues with changing your computer name and some inability to change the "run as" field in the scheduled task to reflect the new name.

44. Chris says:

Oh, and at some point in my ad-hoc procedure, I re-ran msfeedssync disable then msfeedssync enable, around the time that I renable the scheduler service. This seems to be what allowed the changed computer name to stick.

45. Chris says:

Oh, and if this works for other people, someone owes me a beer.

46. TMaster says:

Sorry, Chris, but it appears my problem has a different cause. The "run as" computer name was already correct, and I don’t remember changing it lately. Plus, feed syncing starts working again when I reboot. I’m thinking suspend-to-RAM may also be causing it for me – but I doubt that’d be the only cause of my problem.

47. Justin says:

Chris’s solution worked perfectly for me. I changed my computer name while at school because of their network, and that must have been when it stopped working. I changed the name back to the original and everything is working perfectly again.

Check up with me in about a year for that beer… Or I could always just give you the money now. 😉

48. Mike says:

My feeds were not updating & when I tried:

schtasks /query | findstr /i "user_feed"

I got:

User_Feed_Synchronization-{6F501CF9- 08:51:00, 5/30/2007      Could not start

I went to the Scheduler, showed hidden tasks, & it said it was unable to start the User_Feed_Synchronization. I went into the properties & changed the schedule. It prompted me for credentials & then ran properly. Subsequent changes to the schedule did not require me to re-enter credentials, so maybe the task just needed credentials in order to run.

49. Raghu says:

I occasionally have the problem with my feeds not updating. A guaranteed fix for me is to visit the website URL that I am subscribed to in IE7, exit the browser, and outlook 2007 will then refresh the feed and get any posts it should have gotten in recent days.

TMaster had a similar comment earlier in the thread – but no one else has noted the same workaround. please fix this soon MS….

50. David says:

It seems to close INSTANTLY. After I right-click and select refresh all, I see the msfeedssync.exe app run for only a second.

Here’s what I’m getting in my task scheduler log:

"User_Feed_Synchronization-{********-****-****-****-************}.job" (msfeedssync.exe)

Finished 6/3/2007 4:55:01 AM

Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1).

Please do help.

51. Bill G. says:

Whooohooo! Thanks Chris, I’ve been puzzling my head for a week now….all’s well again…I hope i could buy you that beer…

52. seed says:

Thanks Nathanscott,

Just the checkbox i searched for !

53. Chris says:

The IE7 seems not to update, also does the new XP have a repair program on the disk as I tried to repair some corrupt file and it instantly reinstalls.

54. LinkDir says:

Very good . You are doing a great job.

55. Anna says:

Well, firstly I have no idea if my issue applies. Feeds on my blog http://myonlyphoto.blogspot.com stopped working.

I have a feeling that my blog been marked as potential security risk. This is the message, if anyone tries to run rss feeds for my blog: Internet Explorer cannot display this feed, Internet Explorer does not support feeds with DTDs.

The only possible root cause is probably me the user. That one day, I went into to old posts and tried to fix them up, because of line spacing. And since I could not figure out what was going on, old posts probably been posted many times, as any updated posts will show up on top for rss feed.

If my blog been marked as security risk by Microsoft, can anyone tell me if this can be cleared. I contaced google but so far no reply.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Anna :)

56. Mick Russom says:

Feeds jammed at Sat Sept 1 for MSNBC feeds, did the checklist, checked everything.

Very frustrating, this same stuff has worked forever in firefox.

57. program says:

Just the checkbox i searched for !

58. Dalil says:

I just hope that this will lead to continued developments in RSS.

59. I am having this problem.  On IE, I see all the feeds with a zillion entries.  In Outlook 2007 I see nothing for quite some time.

I came here, but I"m not sure where I’m supposed to put those actions as described in the original post here.

Please advise.

60. gary keramidas says:

got this error:

User_Feed_Synchronization-{0578B29E- 09:57:00, 10/12/2007     Could not start

ran these:

msfeedssync disable

msfeedssync enable

then didn’t receive an error:

User_Feed_Synchronization-{0578B29E- 09:56:00, 10/12/2007

so hopefully it’s ok.

61. BelchSpeak says:

62. Heath says:

"Check if RSS Download Engine is running

reg query HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftFeeds /v SyncStatus

Look at the "Status" line, it should read "0x01" or "0x1". If it isn’t enabled, then enable it

msfeedssync enable"

I ran the reg query shown above and it showed "msfeedssync" as "enabled" (0x1).  However, on a whim, I disabled it (msfeedssync disable) then re-enabled it (msfeedssync enable) and now everything is updating fine.

It appears to be a hang-up somewhere/somehow.

So for those like me that searched forever to find a cure to this disease, mark all feeds as "read" then set the default update time to "15 minutes" and then try the following:

1.  Close any Browser windows.

2.  Click Start > Run then type "cmd" (without quotes) to get the command prompt up.

3.  type "msfeedssync disable" (without quotes)

4.  type "msfeedssync enable" (without quotes)

5.  Close the Command Prompt

Give your feeds plenty of time to update before freaking out and resist the temptation to manually update them to check if its working.

Hopefully it works for you as good as it works for me.  I was having issues and tried everything in the useless Microsoft Help Article first, but just wasted a lot of time.

Either way, here is the Microsoft Help Article for reference purposes, but I recommend doing the above first as its much quicker:

63. Rahimi says:

I’m trying to get my feeds to download from http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510075

I get the following error

Download error – Blocked file type

This is one of many sites I’m trying to get that give me the exact error.

64. fubo says:

I’m trying all the advices, but it still not work for me. In the "Run as" I find "company namemy name" that is the user I am logged in. If I try anything to change it, I was not able to do.

Could it be that I’m accessing Internet through a firewall?

65. Tweak Vista says:

66. Veridique says:

67. Kall says:

68. Max says:

Why is this so difficult to built within the gadget. Is it for Microsoft so logical to put the settings of a news feed in IE to get it work in a gadget?

For so far I know Vista is on the market for almost a year.

Shouldn’t it be fixed by now…??

69. GaryB says:

In IE 7, I found the feeds not updating. Everything checked out, but I found that hovering over a feed in the feed list did not show the last updated time.

So, I started a separate IE 7 window, and the status DID show up for each feed, and it started updating. Now, in the prior IE 7 window, it does show BOLD for all the feeds that were updated, but again, hovering does not show the last updated time.

It seems not showing the status and not doing the update are related. Just starting a new IE 7 window worked. But it’s annoying, still.

70. Maverick says:

We recently started having RSS feeds being setup in IE7 but not passing into Outlook 2007 SP1 on XP SP2 machines.  We are also running Exchange 2007 SP1.  This seems to work fine for an admin but anybody with a roaming profile has this issue.

71. jcasal says:

Step 3 fixed the issue. The task image was corrupted.

72. Why don’t the folders close when changing feeds. Shouldn’t it be automatic?

73. MarchOn says:

I need suggestions on hot to get I/E 7’s RSS Feeds to update automatically. I have Windows XP.  The feeds  update when I manually refresh one or all. I checked the properties/settings ( all are set for auto update and match are are in line with the properties of each particular feed . I  exported/imported the feeds and still no auto updates. My Feeds in Google Reader and NewsGator Online all update automatically. Thank you.

74. Brian K says:

Here’s the reason my feeds stopped updating: I had accidentally set my system date ahead a month (meant to change the hour for DST) so a bunch of feeds were marked with the incorrect date.

Brian

75. If my blog been marked as security risk by Microsoft, can anyone tell me if this can be cleared??

76. D says:

Rc2 refresh seems to break sync’ing after a resume..

77. trailrunner13 says:

This is probably not the right place to post this, but I’ve searched the net for a couple hours and haven’t seen anything like the problem I’m having with the Feed Headlines Sidebar Gadget.  The fly-out isn’t working properly most of the time when the Gadget is docked. I can click to make the fly-out actuate, but the headline link isn’t "clickable" and the scrollbars are frozen.  I can tell if a fly-out is locked up like this by the color: if it’s sort of a blueish / gray background, it’s frozen; if it’s a white background, good to go.  Very aggravating.  Sometimes the Gadget will start working properly if I drag it onto the Desktop,the push it back into the Sidebar.  More often than not, it will start flaking out again.  I have uninstalled / reinstalled the Gadget.  I have deleted if from the  Gallery, then reinstalled using the "Restore gadgets installed with Windows" button on the Sidebar Properties dialog.  No joy.  Help!

78. Eric Duncan says:

Excellent!  #1 and #2 was working, but I had to perform #3 – and now it works.

Thanks for nice post.

79. Great help on this.  My feeds quit working after a MS patch.  Now its working fine.

80. felgi says:

I am very thankful of reading this text but for me this code is little difficuld

81. piaqt says:

Same problem. msfeedssync disable /enable worked. BUT. I also get "task image corrupt or has been tampered with" errors for reminders.<username>.

schtasks /query | findstr /i "user_reminders"

returns

ERROR: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.

So what string do I prepend to disable to fix it?

82. Great article, keep up the good work

83. Calivita says:

well, that I found the article, because

are very important information.

Finally diagnose and fix the problem

84. rmercovich says:

Wow, thanks.  This fixed my problem with a corrupt User_Feed.  It was annoying that the feeds wouldn’t update, and the computer kept turning on to try and run the scheduled task.  Thanks for this fix!

85. Patrik says:

So, it’s december 2008 now and I still get the same bug in a week old fully updated Vista. This is… well… bad.

/p

86. Rob says:

Thanks for that, I had the

"ERROR: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.

ERROR: Task cannot be loaded: User_Feed_Synchronization-{.."

problems. Disabling and re-enabling the feed sorted it.

87. Disk4mat says:

1. Close IE

2. Open task manager and end the task: msfeedssync

3. Goto your Windows Temp folder and delete all the files that are named: ~DF*.TMP

4. Restart IE

The problem apparently happens when IE crashes and the temporary feed files dont get deleted from the temp folder. Normally when you exit IE these files are supposed to get removed.

88. Chuck says:

Wow, this has been going on ever since I got Vista in early 2007.  Still have to disable/enable msfeedssync.  I have an easier solution: Get a Mac.

89. Ake says:

Done all that and tried a thousand other solutions.

Feeds are not updating after sleep or shutdown.

One ease, hahaha, way to get’em started again is to manually run the task from taskscheduler. That gets them going again.

You shouldn’t have to do that

It’s about time you M$ guys take this seriously.

90. Ake says:

Done all that and tried a thousand other solutions.

Feeds are not updating after sleep or shutdown.

You shouldn’t have to do that

It’s about time you M$ guys take this seriously.

91. eaglesight says:

I tried the steps outlined here and it did not work. The only thing that ever repairs this for me is logging out and back in or rebooting. I have this happen on a Vista machine and on an XP Home machine.

92. Tech Uber Expert says:

Have had this problem since my Presario came out of the box.  Have performed all recommended steps several times.  I was hoping SP1 might have a cure so I went through that process and the RSS feeds are still not updating.

Ultimately this Vista process is simply a POS and that’s a term I rarely use out of respect for the folks that put in the time to develop useful stuff  like this.

I will look for other products from folks like Google and hopefully they will include their own RSS feed updating technology and I’ll get something I can actually use.

This isn’t the only problem I’ve had with Task  Scheduler related items in Vista and the TS seems to consistently fail on a variety of hardware platforms I’ve serviced.  Shame on you Microsoft for letting issues like this linger and push folks towards other operating systems that ultimately "just work".  FIX THIS NOW!

93. Tech Uber Expert says:

SP2 just showed up in my Update box today.  Among the reported fixes included is:

• Make your RSS feeds sidebar gadget work faster and better

I’m downloading and installing SP2 right now and will be monitoring the out-of-box Vista Sidebar RSS functionality very closely.  I should note that I will have to re-enable that functionality however, as I dumped the Vista sidebar gadget entirley in favor of a FREE, open source product called quite simply "Desktop Sidebar" and I have to say it’s NEAT, including some very handy system monitoring gadgets.  Depending on the outcome of SP2, it may very well be a permanent swap.  More to come…

94. Tech Uber Expert says:

Going back to the free replacement product.  The default settings for the out of box Vista RSS sidebar gadget DO NOT WORK.  The RSS feed just dies after about 12 hours and never wakes up again.  I did find a workaround but it’s a security nightmare and I highly recommend you do NOT use it.  If you select the properties of the hidden RSS feed update task in the Task Scheduler, you can choose to have the feed update whether the user is logged in or not.  You must supply your user ID and password in order for this to function (at least with Vista Home Ultimate, the setting for Do Not Store Password is greyed out and cannot be selected) and then it appears the task continues to function.  So the problem seems to be related to laptop screensaver/sleep/hibernation functions and unless you tell the process to wake up the entire machine and run…it never recovers once you bring the machine to life again.  I’m talking about a full day of uninterrupted operation after coming up from sleep.  The feed just dies.  Anyway, SP2 a step closer as with SP1 even the workaround I found didn’t work, but storing your password for a scheduled task is about at smart as posting it on the lid with a yellow sticky.  Another MS miss.

95. king6 says:

Same problem feeds wont update, I try the enable and disable and still receive the "ERROR: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with" message. I have a better chance of finding Hoffa than finding a solution to this problem. I also hate the fact that you have to search for answers in forums and can not contact MS directly for a solution.

96. geoffiles says:

It’s all working smoothly for me, no problems since the original outage.

97. Pete says:

Im using IEAK 7 to customize IE 7 on our vista image.

When installing the customize IE 7 settings package on  a new system, the RSS side bar stops working and shows the error message "The Internet Explorer Feedstore is unavailable". If I go into IE and load the RSS feed, then select the RSS feed in the side bar gadget, the feed will then work.

Is there a way to fix this? This happens for every new profile created on the system.

98. dillon says:

my computer just got it so tell me why microsoft is not updating i need to know cause nothing on the computer is not working

99. Max says:

Performed Actions 1, 2 & 3…all OK but feeds still broken since update in Oct.  What to check now?

100. jujoba says:

same here (almost xmas now!) my feeds are about 24hrs late, and update works only manyally through ie

101. its really helpfull…thanks friends

102. Thejas says:

Woww…… Gud post. Now I have solved my problem which I was facing since 1 year.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

103. Carter says:

I am using IE8.  I was viewing RuneScape.com feeds, and they just stopped working.  The feed works, but when you click on it, it turns gray. I have to use the feed in google reader now :(

104. mcleenka says:

I don't know :

1. How to check if Task Scheduler is running

sc queryex schedule doen't mean anything thing to me I need the step by step

Look at the "STATE:" line, it should read "4 RUNNING" if it's not running, then start it

sc start schedule

2. how to check if RSS Download Engine is running

reg query HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftFeeds /v SyncStatus – doen't mean anything thing to me I need the step by step

Look at the "Status" line, it should read "0x01" or "0x1". If it isn't enabled, then enable it

msfeedssync enable

3.same – Check if task is corrupted – schtasks /query | findstr /i "user_feed"

Look for

ERROR: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.

ERROR: Task cannot be loaded: User_Feed_Synchronization-{..

If corrupted, then delete and re-create the task