WinRes

WinRes is
a .Net SDK tool that localization specialists can use to localize Forms. It hosts
designers for the Form and components on it, and also a property grid, using which
you can localize a Form and save it to the appropriate culture. The MSDN link above
has general information about how to use this tool.

The cool thing about WinRes is that it can visually represent a Form based on just
the information contained in a resource file (.resx or .resources). It can bring up
a Form at design time and allow you to modify its localizable properties – all without
access to the source code. How does it do that? The resource file has information
in it about the Type of the components present on a Form. WinRes uses this information
to dynamically create those components and their designers. It then initializes the
(Localizable) properties on those components using the values serialized (I will probably
talk another day about how we do the serialization) into the resource file by Visual
Studio. Once the localizer has made the appropriate modifications, it serializes the
new set of property values into a culture specific resource file (like Form1.fr.resx
for French) that can be built into a satellite assembly. To learn more about Localization
in general, here are
some useful articles.

The ability to design and localize a Form visually without access to the source code
is nice, but there are currently some limitations to what WinRes can do. I have fielded
many questions about WinRes from both internal and external customers. I think documenting
the limitations of the WinRes and the common issues you might run into maybe of some
benefit. This blog is as good a place as any to do this, so here goes.

WinRes TroubleShooting

First of all, having a basic knowledge of the resource file format can be extremely
useful when you run into problems. Resource files can be either in XML (.resx) or
binary (.resources) format. The .resx format is more human-readable, so if you have
a .resources file that you wish to look at, use the ResGen tool
to convert it to a .resx. Now, open the .resx file in notepad. You will find the schema
definition and some other stuff in the header. That stuff is not so interesting, so
I won’t describe it here. The rest of the .resx file is made up of “data” nodes. Each
data node represents one localizable property in the dialog. Lets look at a couple
of data nodes in a simple resx file for a Form that contains a Button:

<data name=”button1.Size” type=”System.Drawing.Size, System.Drawing, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a”>
    <value>75, 23</value>
</data>

<data name=”button1.Text”>
    <value>button1</value>
</data>

The first node has the name “button1.Size”, so looks like it represents the Size property
of a component called button1. The type attribute represents, not surprisingly, the
full name of the Type of this property. The value node contains a string representation
of value of the Size property, which is in this case: (Width = 75, Height = 23). SImilarly,
the second node above represents the Text property on button1. There is no Type information,
so by default, this means that the property is of type String.

Okay, but what is button1? This information is conveyed by the following “special”
properties, prefixed with the “>>”:

<data name=”&gt;&gt;button1.ZOrder”>
    <value>0</value>
  </data>

Tags

1. Kunal shah says:

Hi Prabhu,

Though I am too late too read your article as its posted way back in 2003.

Any start is a good start in learning..

So read your article..Pretty good..Well collected material. And also quite different from what I have seen in few others.

Keep Posting Good Articles.

Regards

Kunal shah

kunalshah83@gmail.com

2. rprabhu says:

Thanks Kunal – glad you found it useful.

3. Veselin Barakov says:

Hi,

Why the type is stored in the resource file? It seems quite silly!

And now, if you have localized form in .Net 1.1 how you will open in .Net 2.0 Forms designer? You cannot.

Have you considered those issues? How do you suppose all the localized forms in 1.1 willbe migrated to 2.0? Manually?

Regards,

Veselin

4. rprabhu says:

You can open v1.1 localized forms in v2.0 form designer in VS. VS has a specialized type resolution implementation that will resolve the types correctly. Once you make a change to a form, the resx will automatically be updated to v2.0 references.

As for WinRes, it is recommended to use the same version of WinRes.exe as the .NET version you are targeting.

5. Larry Smith says:

Hi Prabhu,

Many thanks. I’ve been searching high and low for weeks trying to find info on how "Winres.exe" does its job as well as the special symbols used by the form designer (>>, $this, etc.). I need to replicate what "Winres.exe" does in my own code by converting a ".resx" file back to its form. Is there a simple way to do this using some existing class or can I safely read the ".resx" file and gather up all the form’s properties manually. If the latter, are the special symbols officially documented somewhere or otherwise dependable? Any links would be welcome. I assume I can just find all controls in the file in a WYSIWYG fashion (i.e., the form’s properties are always of the form ">>$this.PropertyName" possibly preceded with ">>" and all controls will ultimately have a ">>ControlName.Parent" property whose Value is "$this). Can you confirm this. Thanks very much.

6. rprabhu says:

Larry: You should be able to use the ResXResourceReader and ResXResourceWriter classes to process resx files. Regarding the special ‘>>’ properties, I don’t know if they are documented, but I think third party software already exists today that depend on it. I would recommend logging a bug in MSDN Product Feedback to request that they be documented (if not already).

7. Larry Smith says:

Hi Prabhu,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I don’t believe those symbols are documented after a painstaking search so will contact MSDN Product Feedback as you suggested. Thanks again.

8. Larry Smith says:

Hi Prabhu,

One other important question for you if you don’t mind. I just read your other blog entitled "How does the Windows Forms designer in Visual Studio load a Form" (currently at http://blogs.msdn.com/rprabhu/archive/2004/12/12/280823.aspx) and am now unsure if the approach I suggested earlier is correct. Note that I’m fairly new to .NET but otherwise a very experienced C/C++ developer (20+ years on MSFT platforms and very comfortable with C#). In a few sentences or less since I don’t want to take too much of your time (I can do the leg work), could you simply point me in the "right" direction for doing the following. I’m writing an Add-In that needs to pull out all *localized* forms in a solution and bundle them up so they can be displayed elsewhere (for viewing purposes only on machines without Visual Studio present). Is it appropriate to simply bundle up all localized (form-based) ".resx" files accordingly and ship them out. My app will then re-generate these forms based on this ".resx" info. Or should I be investigating "CodeDomProvider" and cousins as you discussed in the above link. Or should I be using reflection to find and gather up all forms in the solution. I’m really not sure which method (or hybrid thereof) would be recommended and some guidance would be greatly appreciated (I’ve done lots of research already). Also note that when "InitializeComponent()" is created in the IDE, it automatically sets certain other (non-localized) properties in-code such as "UseVisualStyleBackColor" on button controls. How would I then know to do this myself if, say, I simply re-generate the form using the bundled ".resx" files approach (akin to what "WinRes.exe" does). Again, your assistance would be greatly appreciated (I can’t find adequate info elsewhere after a painstaking search). Thanks again.

9. Larry Smith says:

Sorry Raghavendra, but I just realized I’ve been addressing you by your last name (mea culpa). My apologies :)

10. rprabhu says:

Larry: In general, I would say simply enumerating the resx files in the solution and using them should work. After all, WinRes too only has the resx files to work with, and does not have know about any other changes that might be in InitializeComponent. The theory is that any changes relevant to localization should be in the resx anyway, so other changes in code should not matter to localizers.

Note though that your resx parser tool will need access to the assemblies/types referenced in the resx, just like WinRes, in order to instantiate them.

Anyway, I must mention that I have moved to a different team in Microsoft around 8 months ago, so I am quite out of touch with this stuff. I am not sure who the current owner of WinRes is, but you could start by contacting Brad Abrams (blogs.msdn.com/brada), who might be able to point you to the right person.

11. Larry Smith says:

Ok, your comments make me more comfortable that at least I’m on a suitable path (it’s always reassuring to have someone on the inside help validate things). I’ll contact Brad Adams as suggested however just in case there’s a better way to do this now (a new class perhaps). Thanks for the feedback (appreciated).

12. Larry Smith says:

Hi Raghavendra,

Quick follow-up that perhaps you can help me with (though you’re on another team now however). I recently discovered that ".resx" files can’t be completely relied on to re-generate a form since not all information about all controls is captured. For instance, if a menu is attached to a dialog then the ".resx" file doesn’t capture any "parent" info for each menu item so you don’t know which item belongs to which menu. A similar situation exists for "DataGridView" controls where no (parent) info exists linking individual columns back to their "DataGridView" control. The bottom line is that you can’t reconstruct menus that may be attached to a form nor any "DataGridView" controls based on resx files alone (and perhaps other controls exist with the same problem). Therefore, AFAIK, the only way to completely capture a form at design-time is to parse "InitializeComponent()" itself. Is there anyway to do this presently (i.e., does a class exist to capture the same form info now wrapped in this function). Thanks for your help.

13. rprabhu says:

Larry: Yes, you are right. There are limitations to how much of the form you can reconstruct from a resx file. For localization purposes, this has not proved as much of a limitation, since localizers typically just like to look at the high level layout of the form, not specifics like menu items and tree view nodes. Also, the new ‘auto-layout’ features in VS 2005 obviate the need for doing detailed localization in terms of relayout.

You *could* parse InitializeComponent to better layout the form, but I think this would be pretty hard to get right (I would know, I used to own the parsing/generating of this code in VS :-))and isn’t really supported.

Not sure I understand your scenario, but if your forms are already compiled, why not reflect over their assemblies and actually instantiate them?

14. Larry Smith says:

Thanks for the feedback (sorry for the delay responding). Unfortunately, reflecting over the assemblies doesn’t appear to be viable since the programmer may have added additional code after the call to "InitializeComponent()". This code may not be runnable in the development environment (or is potentially unsafe to run there) so it can’t be relied on. Parsing "InitializeComponent()" isn’t viable either for the reasons you mentioned and a programmer would have to write their own language parser anyway (which isn’t feasible as you noted). The only way I can think of is to perhaps copy "InitializeComponent()" into a temporary ".cs" file on the fly (using some temporary class), and then I can compile and run it. This is unwieldy however (and incredibly ugly) but there doesn’t appear to be any other option. I think the situation is something that should be addressed by MSFT however even if relatively few developers actually require this functionality. It may be low priority but the programming model remains incomplete IMO. There’s simply no clean way to extract a complete form from a project but it should be relatively easy to add this functionality and I already made my own recommendations to product feedback several weeks ago (on the surface it should be doable with no backward compatibility issues). Anyway, unless you have any other last suggestions, thanks again for all your help (appreciated).

15. Yayu says:

Hi Rhagavendra,

You said "There are limitations to how much of the form you can reconstruct from a resx file. For localization purposes, this has not proved as much of a limitation, since localizers typically just like to look at the high level layout of the form, not specifics like menu items and tree view nodes". I am localizer and this is not 100% true, one localizer’s task is to ensure there is not duplicated HK in the localized assembly and using winres its very difficult to achieve this. For example, if you have a dialog with a couple of tabs or more when you clik on winres button check HK it will show as error duplications in strings located on different tabs, what its not real HK duplicate. This is a pain for us. Thanks.

16. rprabhu says:

Yayu: I think WinRes was designed to cover the basic and common localization scenarios. For more advanced stuff, there are good third party tools available as well.

That said, if you have any feedback or suggestions, please submit it through the MSDN Product Feedback page so it can be tracked properly (I am no longer working in this area).

Thanks!