Yow. I went on vacation at the end of July and since then haven't posted on my weblog. Not that I've been busy, but...
Anyway, here in VC++ testing we just finished phase one of our Beta 2 AppWeek. AppWeek is where we take a week (actually, this time it will end up being two weeks, separated by a few weeks in between) and attempt to write applications not related to our normal product testing. The idea is that we will range across the breadth of the product trying to do something rather than focusing on just the component we work on in our normal day to day activity.
The application that I wrote was a DLL that implemented an about box. It could be used by either a native application or a managed application and it would detect which type of .exe it was being used in. If it was being used in a managed application, the about box would be a Windows Forms dialog and if it was a native application it would be an MFC dialog. This was a pretty interesting scenario and I ended up finding 9 bugs last week which is way above my average (Hey, I'm a lead, not a real tester...).
I got the basic functionality working but still need to polish things up. That will happen in phase 2 in a few weeks.