One of the most frequently used utilities in SharePoint (2007 as well as 2003) is STSADM.
Although highly improved in 2007, it maintains backward compatible with 2003 syntax.
As STSADM is a command line utility, and the command-line is somewhat limited compared to Windows GUI, especially when it comes to non-English usage, there is a room for GUIs like stsadmWin (STSADM for Windows).
How stsadmWin works?
stsadmWin reads a list of commands from an XML file (namely: operations.xml), and displays a combo with the operations, denoting mandatory and optional parameters, and linking to the utility’s help.
The above download includes an XML file with SharePoint 2003 operations.
An XML file for MOSS 2007 RTM is attached by the end of this post (in stsadmWin.zip ).
stsadmWin displays help for the selected operation in the 2003 version.
This feature is currently not available in the 2007 version.
To get more information on STSADM 2007 see:
* Run STSADM /? -or- STSADM –help <OPERATION>
To get a list of stsadm commands grouped by function – see Ian Morrish’s WSS Demo .
The list is updated to SP1 and even indicates if a command is unique to stsadm or if there is a Central Admin/SSP equivalent.
Unlike the 2003 version, STSADM in 2007 is extensible. Meaning: you may get newer commands (operations) available as you add components to your environment.
To generate an XML file that suites your environment – you can use the GetOperations utility (also attached by the end of this post – in stsadmWin.zip).
Note: it is advisable to backup existing XML before generating an updated version …
A note on the generated XML:
* A couple of operations may be generated with wrong syntax.
* The ones I currently know about are: osearch and profilechangelog.
* An updated syntax will be available in operationsUpdate.xml, which is referenced below.
* You will only need this update when you re-generate operations.xml. In this case – you have to update operations.xml with the content of operationsUpdate.xml .
* The operations.xml files that are referenced below – already include the correct syntax.
see the attachments – you may be on the main BLOG page.
stsadmWin 2007 is attached by the end of this document – in stsadmWin.zip .
Current version is v3.0 , which was last updated on Jan. 18, 2008.
If you do not
Clicking on this post title will get you to the page in which you will see the link to the download.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties. Use of included utilities are subject to the terms specified here.