Adventures with SharePoint People Picker, Domain Migrations and Groups

I recently worked a customer issue, where the customer was going through a domain migration. The customer is running SharePoint 2010. (This works for both 2007 and 2013 as well) There are two forests, with users in both. Users from one of the domains were being moved to the domain in the other forest. As…


Can I upgrade from SharePoint 2007 directly to SharePoint 2013?

A lot of customers want to know if you can upgrade from SharePoint Server 2007/WSS 3.0 to SharePoint 2013. The answer to that question is not directly. You’ll have to upgrade your content and service applications(if required) through the process to get to 2010 and then to 2013. If you don’t want to do the…


Delete Sites with PowerShell

A customer recently needed some help deleting a bunch of sites of old sites in an environment that was no longer in use. They used STSADM enumsites to take an inventory of what was in the farm/web application. They used the greater than(>) symbol in the command line to send the output to a file. Enumsites happens…


Troubleshooting Large List Performance – SharePoint 2007

If you think you might be having issues with large lists in SharePoint 2007, there’s a good way to see if your WFEs are executing long running queries. Fire open ULS viewer, and filter on EventID 8sli. It will show you all list related queries that are taking more than 2 seconds. In each entry,…


AV Scanner Exclusions KB Updated

I just wanted to point out that the KB that details file/folder exclusions for local AV scanners has been updated. One important addition is the exclusion of the Blobcache folder for SharePoint. Review the KB to make sure you’re still in compliance.


Mount-SPContentDatabase Errors on 2nd and subsequent attempts of same database

A colleague recently ran into an issue when trying to test upgrade some content via the content DB approach. On the second attempt of attaching the same content db (after detaching it, deleting it from SQL, and copying in a new copy) they saw the following errors. I did some browsing around the web and…


URL Redirection Options

I spent some time recently looking at URL redirection options. With the upcoming potential for 2010 upgrades/migrations, there’s always someone who needs to change a URL. :)  I wanted to put together a number of options for folks who need the ability to do this. Here are  couple of links to other blogs and tools…


ULS CMS Errors

The CMS features that were rolled into SharePoint have their fair share of issues. Working with one of my recent customers, we found a number of errors in the ULS logs in their farm. The follow errors fit into the two following categories. Although these messages seem scary, they’re just informational in nature. If the…


PAL Thresholds for MOSS Crawling Performance

Over the last couple of months I’ve been helping my customer work through MOSS Crawling Performance issues. The sad part of this task is, there isn’t an easy way to do it, because there are so many moving parts and variables. A couple of months ago, some good blog posts were put up on the…


Excel Services SSO Configuration Issue

This post is about a case I worked on back in April, which was a real doozy, to say the least. My customer was trying to set up SSO for Excel Services. In short, they wanted to create a couple of shared data connections, that used one credential to access a data source. Different domain…