Wow, Microsoft Acquires Wininternals.

PressPass just released the news that Microsoft has acquired Winternals. This is amazing. I’ve seen Mark Russinovich speak and he presented the data extremely eloquently. However, what impressed me even more was the tools provided at Sysinternals were always really “tight”. I mean that in every sense of the word. They were small, they were targeted, and they were flippin’ cool. Tight.

May Mark and Bryce Cogswell (who I know nothing about) continue to stay “tight” inside the firewall.

1. Leon Zandman says:

Yeah, I just read the news on Digg.com. Amazing Microsoft didn’t acquire them sooner. I always found it kinda funny that one of the leading Windows experts wasn’t working for Microsoft.

I hope their tools remain freely available and will be actively maintained. Maybe they could replace the Windows task manager with Process Explorer 🙂

2. AJ says:

Their tools have been invaluable to me.  I hope they stay free; I am a tightwad.

3. me says:

imagine the day when Rob resumes his lecture sessions on the why’s and how’s of the windows installer like in the early days of his blog…

4. Cronan says:

Great tools, used them for years, just debugged and resolved another nasty issue using filemon yesterday … these tools need to stay separate and tightly-focussed – be nice to see them as VS addins next release …

5. ringi says:

I don’t like this, if they find something like the Sony root kit next year will they be able to tell us about it?  Or will Sony just shut them up by saying it is Microsoft being anticompetitive?

The fact that Microsoft is now buying out all the best independent people (just look at what they did to DevelopMentor) means that is now a lot less trusted 3rd party sources for information on Windows C# etc.

6. AJ says:

In response to ringi:

I know quite a few people who work for Microsoft that tell me, and I am sure Rob will attest to this, that Microsoft encourages open communication and honesty.  The MSDN blogs are a testament to that fact as well.  There have been some pretty scathing remarks from some of the authors and Microsoft lets them stand unedited.  I am sure Mark and Bryce will continue to provide us with the great, insightful information that they always have.  I don’t think Microsoft wants to be the evil empire that tell Mark and Bryce what and  where to write.  On the contrary, I just think they want to attach their name to one of the most popular and widely used toolsets for developers and System Administrators.  My earlier remark was more sarcasm than anything else, but if they begin to charge for the toolsets, I will pay for them.  Like I said, they have been invaluable to me.  Microsoft would have to put a HEFTY tag on them to make it not worth it to me.

7. tchurch says:

These were very useful tools, but I think under microsoft they will cripple the tools and usefulness of them. Expect bulky addons and code bloat as the MS programmers try to "enhance" them and a loss of functionality to "comply" with the Windows do it all mentality. Nothing will remain "free" under microsoft.

8. Owen says:

I do hope they continue to stay "tight" and "free"!

their tools are invaluable for the install and integration specialist.

9. Richard Berg says:

tchurch, can you name an example of bloat in Microsoft’s other low-level development tools?  Which features from windbg should be cut in your opinion?  In what way is cl.exe no longer free?  What makes Verifier bulky?  Please be specific.