Automatically fix Windows Live Photo Gallery problems

With this Microsoft fixit

microsoft fixit

Automatically diagnose and repair problems when showing photos and slideshows with Windows Photo Gallery and Screensaver. Find other automated solutions

What it fixes…
  • System performance is slow when viewing a multipage TIFF file
  • Can’t preview pictures in Windows Photo Gallery
  • Windows Photo Gallery print picture preview color is reversed
  • Pictures not showing when starting a slide show in Windows Photo Gallery for Windows Vista
  • Windows Live Photo Gallery album download no longer works after upgrade from Vista to Windows 7
  • Windows Live Photo Gallery stops responding or will not start
  • Image in Windows Photo Gallery is yellow on a Windows Vista-based computer
  • Photos screensaver not working
  • Choppy image transitions when viewing images using the Slide Show screensaver

Get more help for Windows Live and Windows Live Photo Gallery

Rob

1. Photo repair says:

I agree with your point of view of this article. This is a good article. Very timely given us so much useful information. Thank you!

2. Photo fix says:

I was very happy to have found this site. I wanted to thank you for this excellent post. I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post in the future

3. Patricia says:

•Windows Live Photo Gallery album download no longer works after upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

4. robmar says:

Hi Patricia – are you seeing any specific error message?

rob

5. Mark says:

Can't batch resize photos in Windows Gallery.  Huh?  Look on web, says, "select all, select resize".  No select resize.

6. robmar says:

Mark – any more detail about what you are running?

7. Rae says:

Screen saver causing problems by either not linking to my own photo files – so I have to use windows live gallery as default (from my own files I get a black screen with a traveling message 'an error is preventing pictures showing'.   When it works Windows live has stopped showing full page pictures, or defaults to its own 'web pictures'.  It is just a complete muddled mess – but a couple of months ago was working perfectly – from my own files!  Help!

8. Henry says:

automated Microsoft 'fix it' doesn't fix it

Whenever I preview a picture in the gallery I can't select or view it. It doesn't come up. I just get a message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" no error code or number. Valuable photos I can't do anything with now -?

9. rhenry-lob@Hotmail.com says:

why does photo gallery automatically create multiple images

10. robmar says:

Hi rhenry – I don't think it should

any more details

rob

11. Donna C says:

I have been searching for days for help.  I can no longer email pictures from Windows Live Phone Gallery, nor can I upload pictures to Craigslist.  No problems uploading to Facebook, etc.

Help

12. Mike says:

This doesn't work in Windows 8.  The solution is really simple though.  Open Windows Explorer (Windows key + E).  Right click on "Libraries" on the left hand side of the screen, and click "Restore Default Libraries". Why this works I don't know but it works.

13. Anna Daugherty says:

Both my Windows Photo Gallery and Live Photo Gallery are showing the message: "an error is preventing pictures showing". I tried using Fix-it, but the slide show still doesn't work in either program.

14. gilbert cull says:

windows live photo gallery has stopped connecting with my computer i.e. it will not print an e-mail

15. Connor Macleod says:

This tool didn't fix my Windows Live Essentials screensaver problem. When trying to preview/run the Photo Gallery screensaver, my screen gets black and remains that way until I press any key or move the mouse to exit the screensaver. I downloaded this Microsoft Fixit tool, ran it and it indeed found 1 error related to the screensaver issue and then it executed and stated that the problem was "fixed"… but the problem still remains, black screen for the Photo Gallery screensaver (all other screensavers work just fine). I really like the effects that this Photo Gallery screensaver has, like pan and zoom and fade, and I hope I won't need to reinstall my OS just to fix it. Btw, my OS is Windows 8 x64.