Troubleshoot problems when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program in Windows (KB2438651)

Just highlighting this kb (2438651) that has been updated recently.

If you receive any of the following error messages

• The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
  • Windows Installer Service couldn’t be started.
  • Could not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied.

Then KB2438651 (How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer) may be of use to you.

Technorati Tags: ,

1. Steve; says:

Please can you help me download the latest Adobe flash player to Windows Vista Home Premium. I get lots of download offers but every time I try the program goes through its steps, says it has downloaded but it hasn't.

Thanks, Steve.

2. robmar says:

Steve – are you getting any error messages at all

you may want to check this guide from adobe…/tn_19166.html

3. Steve says:

Thanks for the reply. Not getting error messages.Checked out site you suggested. Tried to download manually. No success. I am running a 32- bit system with an Intel R 2140@ 1.6 GHz processor and 1.00GB RAM. Is this a problem?Do I have to also uninstall Adobe reader and AIR as well before trying again?

Thanks, Steve.

4. robmar says:

Wouldn't have thought that was a problem

you could try uninstalling those, but I am not 100% sure.

Can you go back to a restore point to a time when your PC was working 100%

feel free to email me at to try and sort this out

5. Scott w Horton says:

i`m trying to uninstall a game "blasterball 3" and i keep getting a notice "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way " . its not working so i need to uninstall to reinstall but i can`t

6. robmar says:

Hi Scott – don't know much about that program

have you tried…/forums.aspx

7. Computer service says:

You have made a perfect article… Thank you!!!

8. margaret rees says:

I have b een trying to uninstall free ride games