Microsoft Out-of-Band Security Update for Internet Explorer – January 2010 (MS01-002, KB 978207)

Just in case you hadn’t seen the latest advise and how to get the update

Microsoft Out-of-Band Security Update for Internet Explorer – January 2010

On January 21, 2010 Microsoft released an out-of-band security update for all supported versions of Internet Explorer on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

See the latest security update bulletin for more information

• Security Bulletin MS01-002 – addresses vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer (KB 978207)”

• You are likely to get this automatically via Windows Update (if it is turned on), or you can get it directly from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21129

Rob

Technorati Tags: ,

1. I thank for sharing of the useful information about the security updates. <a href="http://dexterepisode.net">dexter episode</a>

2. Tim Barry says:

This update caused my wireless connection the internet to stop working. Uninstalled the update and internet fired right up.

Is there some settings I need to change to stop this from happening/

3. Rob Margel says:

Hi Tim – sorry to hear about your issues

there should be free support for all security updates  see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978207

what OS and version of IE are you running and did you get the update from Windows update?

Rob

4. Tim says:

Rob i did get the update from auto Windows update. I am running IE 8 and vista. I have a wireless router and it shows that connection is OK. I am getting email so I know my hardware is working.I am guessing that there is some setting I need to change in the software but I am not finding any resolutions so far.

5. Rob Margel says:

Hi Tim – to be honest I am not aware of anything that shojld have effected you this way.

all i can suggest is the free Microsoft support for the updates mentioned in my comment above.

Rob

6. fad says:

(WinXP Pro SP3 French – Uptodate with Windows Update)

What I would like to know is why this update made my access to a sharepoint site (extranet) really really REALLY slow… The one on the intranet was behaving normally.

I spent a day figuring out what had happened!

I first suspected my Internet connection, then my network parameters, then I tried some of the fixes I found on the Internet (registering atxprxy.dll)

I finally tried to access the site using FireFox, and the speed was normal. So I reinstalled IE8 – and the problem was solved.

When I updated using Windows update (only 2 updates) – the problem was back. That’s when I tried to remove 978207 – and the speed is ok again.

Does anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks.

7. Rob Margel says:

Hi Fad – sorry about your problems with this release.  I do not have much help I can give on this specific issue as it is not one I have heard of before.

May be worth getting some free support from your local Microsoft office

Rob