UK Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer Starts Tomorrow

Windows 7

Just a reminder that if you have forgotten for UK customers the Windows 7 pre order program starts tomorrow 15th July, in fact we plan to have the site available shortly after midnight tonight (fingers crossed) so you can place your orders as early as possible.

You will be able to order Windows 7 in time to to get it for the October 22nd release at a special price of Windows 7 Home Premium E for £49.99** or Windows 7 Professional E for £99.99*

Read more about the offer at Microsoft Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer

* Estimated retail price, only available until August 9th 2009 or until stock runs out

Rob

Technorati Tags:

1. I apologise for my ignorance of all things to do with computers. Despite being on a pension this is my 1st pc and I am still trying to learn. ( Technology seems to be passing me by).

If I preorder Windows 7E online would I receive a download when it is released or an actual disc, which I would receive from a shop?

I apologise if it seems a stupid question but I am not to proud to show my ignorance if I can learn.

Kind regards,

Stephen Dedman.

2. robmar says:

Hi Stephen

If you order from the Microsoft Store you will have the option for either download or disc.

I am not 100% sure about the retailers but suspect would be a disc and not a download

hope that helps

Rob

3. Jeff Mann says:

Hi Rob,

One if the Windows 7 Pre-order system requirements state that "Must be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems"… does this mean that this version cannot be used as a ‘fresh’ install of windows on an system built pc with a brand new hard drive installed with no OS?

Therefore, is this pre-order more of an upgrade than seen as a stand alone full version?

Kind Regards,

Jeff

4. robmar says:

Jeff – where did you read that about genuine version?

5. Dave says:

It’s only for the upgrade version that the pre-order price is reduced to £49.99. You can still pre-order the full version at standard price though I think.

The upgrade package doesn’t allow straight upgrade from XP anyhow. You have to install a fresh copy of windows 7 from the upgrade disk. I believe it will ask for your XP CD and product key during install.

6. Jeff Mann says:

Rob,

Please see this url –

and look at ‘How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?’

Kind Rregards,

Jeff

7. robmar says:

Jeff – sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees, I have been looking at that page for a couple of weeks!!!

I think Dave has provided the correct answer

Are you staying up to make sure you get get a copy reserved?

Rob

8. Dave says:

I’m staying up to get my copy. I wonder if it’ll be discounted on Amazon? Doubt it but it’s worth a try.

I was just reading Jeff’s link. Microsoft are very discouraging about upgrading from XP but I think it’s because people who know little about computers may just buy it for a 9 year old XP machine and find it won’t work.

You apparently have to do a clean install of the E version anyway, maybe something to do with having no built in web browser. I always prefer clean installs anyway. I was going to re-install RC1 at some point but I can just wait now.

Dave

9. robmar says:

Hi Dave – Well the UK site will be going live soon, not sure how soon after that Amazon will be live to take orders.  I am hoping all the retailers will switch on there ordering at 12 midnight.  Fingers crossed

Kind of agree with what you are saying, and I don’t want to get into the politics of E.

For some clean installs work well but for non technicals it isn’t quite so straight forward

10. Jeff Mann says:

Rob,

I’m staying up too, less than 20mins to go!

I do hope there is an option on there to pre-order a stand alone full version of either home or pro e-edtions.

I’m most probably gonna buy through the Microsoft store as I’d like a CD-rom vesion.

Jeff

11. Phil says:

Well Minutes left and the MS website has just had a re-boot, still refreshing lots waiting to pre-order 😀

12. robmar says:

Jeff – Pre order speciall offers will be for Windows 7 Home Premium E and Windows 7 Professional E  (£49.99 and £99.99*  prices may vary etc)

Hi Phil – thats what we are working on right now 🙂

13. Dave says:

Good luck to you all with your purchasing! I hope it doesn’t take too long 🙂 can’t wait till october!

14. robmar says:

just to let you know we are having some last minute techy gremlins that we are goign through trying to get the site live

arrrgggh

rob

15. Dave says:

I noticed! Amazon just changed to say it’s going live 00:00 but it hasn’t yet. I guess it’ll have to wait for the MS site to get going.

16. Phil says:

Arrrrg, will have to just get another beer while waiting 😉

17. Dave says:

You can pre-order professional e on Play but not Home Premium e and I can’t get on anywhere else at the moment.

18. Jeff Mann says:

Well I decided to go through Amazon UK as the UK Microsoft store is having a nightmare of it’s own at the moment. And I saw that they’re selling the Win 7 Pro-E version for £10 less! Bargain!!!

And ‘apparantly’ according to their FAQ, this will not be an upgrade but the FULL retail version: See point 3

19. Phil says:

Play.com is now up and running for pre-orders, still waiting for the MS site (want to order direct from you)

Also Staples.co.uk has been up since just before 12 (tut tut)

20. Dave says:

Woooh play is giving pre-orders now. First site up. They get my custom.

21. robmar says:

damm you guys are too quick for me

22. Dave says:

Play says retail version as well. Can anyone confirm if this is the Full or upgrade that all of these sites. Amazon says that you can only get the full edition in the uk??

Also @ Jeff I saw that £10 cheaper one. It was the only one though and it was a marketplace seller. Did you buy that one? It’s gone and amazon is saying comeback later again now!

23. Phil says:

Just ordered of Ebuyer, £80 for pro version, only 240 remaining after I took my copy 😉

Glad thats sorted. Sorry to hear MS site having problems. Can’t believe the small volumes given to 3rd parties though, Home edition has run out of Ebuyer already

24. robmar says:

ok so the site is up but not all the retailer sites, not sure what is going on there

maybe they are coming on stream later today?

Rob

25. Dave says:

Damn Ebuyer all sold out and it was £5 cheaper.

It seems a few folk are complaining already. Why is it more expensive in England blah blah blah. It would apear thanks to the EU we get a full retail version with a few bits of software taken out, for not that much more 🙂

26. robmar says:

right off to bed – hope everyone got the copy that they wanted

if not I would check back tomorrow am as I am expecting the other retailers and msstore to have there site sup and running

cheers and thanks for keeping me going and knowing that there are people out there who wanted this offer

any questions post here or email me at robmar@microsoft.com or tweet me at http://twitter.com/robmargel

Rob

27. robmar says:

one last thing Amazon may be live for home premium

try this links

home premium E = http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002DUCMT2/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

28. Jon says:

Amazon UK is just brilliant.

£89.97 for Pro