powercfg –ENERGY – Windows 7 – Power Management Reports

Just read this useful command line utility built into Windows 7 for viewing a report about how your laptop is using energy.

Swiss IT Professional and TechNet Blog : Windows 7 – Power Management Reports

“Wondering why your battery life of your laptop is not as good as the manufacturers claim?

powercfg -ENERGY

You need to run this command from the command prompt with administrator privileges (Run as Administrator). This command will perform a 60 second analysis of the computer’s energy consumption and provide you with a report: (by default in the system32 folder): C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html

It lists the devices and drivers that hamper Sleep, or hinder that the full power saving features of your machine can not be utilized.

It also lists if your hardware is capable of S1, S2, S3 or S4 sleep modes”

powercfg - ENERGY

Looks like I have some things that I can look at to improve my battery life.

Update 28/05/2010 – some additional info and screenshots at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/

Rob

Technorati Tags: ,

1. iman says:

Any idea why I’m getting this error?

C:>powercfg -ENERGY

Invalid Parameters — try "/?" for help

There is no -ENERGY option whenI try /? for help. I am running a command prompt as Administrator on a Thinkpad with Vista SP1.

2. robmar says:

Hi Ian – I believe it is Windows 7 only

Rob

3. Varun says:

Got that error as well on Win 7.

I copy pasted command form this page.

Then manualy entered in small caps,thenit worked.

4. braikejak says:

Great article: will definitely visit again.

5. robmar says:

Hi Varum – I tried in my version build 7100 English

Where you running a non english installation by any chance?

Feel free to email me via the links at the top of the page and I can see if I can help

Rob

6. hyperbomb says:

To use this built-in command:

1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Startmenu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".

7. Noah says:

I can’t open the energy-report.html file.  Firefox says "file not found", and IE can’t open it either.  I can navigate to the file in windows explorer, but cannot open the file with a web browser.  Any ideas?

8. Noah says:

Nevermind, all I had to do was move the file out of the system32 directory and then I could open it.

9. Hugo Vandenbroele says:

I received the message tath it was enable to perform…I run it as administrator.

10. windoosxp says:

Thanks Noah.

I could not read it either.

Just move it to the desktop and open.

11. JHC says:

I can not open the file.  Have tried to copy/move/rename and it won’t let me do anything.  Any ideas?

12. open says:

how do i open the html report?

13. robmar says:

Hi JHC/Open

can yu send me the fil and then i can check it is ok

rob

14. Aaron says:

when i put this into my command prompt it tells me the energy command must be done by an administrator and must be executed by a higher command prompt. any idea why? a am logged in as an administrator. am i doing something wrong?

15. robmar says:

Hi Aaron – even if you are logged on as an admin you still need to run this command from the command prompt with administrator privileges (Run as Administrator).

16. cioran says:

I am hahing energy efficiency problems, I folow the instructions on how to check on them using the command promp and I found 8 errors, and 9 warnings but the problem now is that I don’t know how to solv them. How do I identify the spesific errors and warnings and how do I macke the necesary adjustment to fix them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17. robmar says:

Cioran – can you post the info anywhere

18. cioran says:

rodmar – the command promp part I’m able to do, the problem that I am facing is that when I try to view the info. at C:Windowssystem32energy-report.html the info. does not show in the in the brouser so I’m not able to effectively diagnose and solve the problems in my pc.Is there other way to view the energy managment report?

19. robmar says:

ok couple of things

1. change file extension to htm (in case you have no association with .html)

2. associate .html extension with your browser

3. try open file up from Word

failing that email it to me at robmar@microsoft.com

rob

20. Monteverde says:

I too could not open C:Windowssystem32energy-report.html

with neither Firefox, Internet Explorer nor Google Chrome. Copied the report to My Documents & it then opened fine.

Start > search: energy-report.html > right click > Open File Location > copy to your folder, Open the copy in your browser.

21. Lowwall Sarino says:

Could you tell me how this user mode application can get USB port state about suspend

22. Striff says:

Windows 7 Pro,, I too was getting Invalid Parameters when running this command…

Solution run it with /switch…

ie powercfg /ENERGY

THis worked for me

23. Stryder says:

Hi.  I am having similar problems to what every else on this thread is complaining about.  Watching video or listening to music (but no mouse movement) will shut the HDD down after 20 minutes, despite changing power settings.

I have the energy-report file ready to download, if you can help.

24. Sky says:

Hello Every One , how are you.can any one give me favor how to correct the Error on my laptop battery problem , my laptop battery is 2 year old.

kindly tell me you can also contact me at

aamir.sky@gmail.com

@window 7 R2  ——->

C:Windowssystem32>powercfg -ENERGY

Enabling tracing for 60 seconds…

Observing system behavior…

Analyzing trace data…

Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

27 Errors

24 Warnings

12 Informational

————-

25. lowwall sarino says:

Whe usb device is in the suspend state, what method does "powercfg -energy" use to get the suspend information? This issue is based on the device's vendor driver do nothing in this case.

26. lowwall says:

In Win 7 platform, i  can use "powercfg -energy" to get use device's power state

When the usb device is in the suspend state.  The device vendor's driver do noting in this case, but "powercfg -energy" can inderstand

the device is suspend . It is amazing!!! anyone can tell me how this command do that   ????

27. lowwall says:

28. Beetje says:

Got problem with sleep mode Windows 7. Anytime my computer is in sleep mode and it tries to wake up then the fout begins. My monitor turns into blue screen. Is there any way to solve this problem???

29. robmar says:

Beetje – can you confirm you have all your updates up to date/  also what antivirus sw are you running

rob

30. vimal says:

i cant open my energy report………..can anyone help????/

31. tranhoa1991gl@gmail.com says:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:Windowssystem32>powercfg -ENERGY

Enabling tracing for 60 seconds…

Observing system behavior…

Analyzing trace data…

Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

6 Errors

6 Warnings

17 Informational

See C:Windowssystem32energy-report.html for more details.

C:Windowssystem32>

32. Alyssa says:

Mine says 4 Errors 16 Warnings and 14 Informational; how do I fix it?

33. owen says:

hi…on my power eff.diagnostic report the following warning appears:

"Battery:Last Full Charge (%)

The battery stored less than 50% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.

Battery ID 0000000341G71C000AH210

Design Capacity 47520

Last Full Charge 19893

Last Full Charge (%) 41

i'd appreciate it much if you can help me address this so i can maximize my new battery on my toshiba tecra m11…

thanks a lot!

34. Willem says:

Hi,

When my laptop goes to turn off display mode it will not come out of this mode. Usually I can enter my password and my screen comes back on, but recently the screen stays only on the standard windows background without giving me the possibility to enter a password so that i can continu my work.

I am using Win7 and have updated all windows updates. Any idea where I should look to tweak?

Thanks in advance