FIX: VB6 IDE Scrolling using the MouseWheel

I’m sure most of you are aware of the frustrations of trying to get your mouse wheel to work in the VB6 IDE.  The last word on this was that Intellipoint 4.12 was the only way to get this to work properly.  It has been broken in Intellipoint 5.0 (and 4.9).  There is a KB article in the works that discusses this behavior.  When available the article should be located at:

Q837910 Mouse wheel events do not work on Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 IDE –

For most of us using Intellipont 4.12 is certainly an option.  For those of us using IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 (and other similar fancy hardware) we like to have all of our hardware features and would gladly sacrifice the VB6 IDE wheel scrolling to use our entire feature set in all other applications.  While this is a correct statement unto itself, it is also untrue.  The proverbial:  “I want my cake and eat it too!”

I finally got frustrated with this whole spiel and wrote an add-in for the VB6 IDE that makes the mouse wheel work within the development environment.  I’ve contacted the content management folks and have sent them the add-in.  They are going to amend the KB article and provide a link where everyone can download the add-in.

Happy Scrolling!

…is there anything else I can fix?

FYI – Visual Studio Service Pack 6 is available!!!

1. Etienne says:

I Actually use freewheel a little product written by an ethusiast it works great here is the URL:

2. Munish Gupta says:

I don’t know when that article is going to be there. How about you provide a link now?

3. robgruen says:

Unfortunately as I mention above I don’t have a place to host the file therefore there is no link to download the add-in. If you provide me your e-mail address I maybe able to e-mail it to you.

4. Robert Gruen says:

Hey everyone, the kb article above is now published!

5. Steve says:

I couldn’t find the link to your add-in in the QArticle.

I wonder why this issue wasn’t fixed in SP6 given it has been around a long time.

Etienne, Freewheel is a great and I like it’s extra features. Thanks.

6. Mike says:

The referenced article, Q837910, does not mention any add-ins. Rather, it just suggests to downgrade your Intellipoint software.

7. Robert Gruen says:

Hey folks,

I see that the KB article has yet to be updated. I’ve checked with the content folks and they are going to updated it. I wasn’t given a ETA on when it would be done but it was "soon." Please bear with them!

8. Robert Gruen says:

Just checked on the KB article. It looks like the fix has been posted but there is an error on the workaround section.

On step 3 of the work around it says to register the addin using "regsvr" this needs to be "regsvr32". I contacted the content folks yet again and they will get the KB article changed.

I just wanted to give a heads up on that!

9. nOuSE says:

Is this fix included in SP6?

10. Robert Gruen says:

No, this FIX is not part of SP6. This add-in was a side project on my own and was not sponsored hence it not being included within SP6.

11. nOuSE says:

Yeah I realised that after installing SP6 :(.

Your fix works great. Thanks.

12. Munish Gupta says:

The article is now updated! Works perfectly. Thanks a ton Rob.

13. Edward says:

It’s mostly working fine, until I try to use the code window devider to view two parts of the same code file at once.

Using the scroll wheel now scrolls both the top and bottom panes at the same time.

Thanks anyway

Really useful to use with the Bluetooth Mouse

14. Robert Gruen says:

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately without modifying the IDE itself there’s no way to get the split code window to work with the mouse wheel.

Since most people don’t use this functionality (or even know of it’s existance) I was hoping it would go unoticed! 🙂

15. Erik says:

Works great. Thanks for the fix.

16. Sven Jönsson says:

Thanks for this fix!

It has been annoying for a long time not to be able to scroll with the mouse wheel!

I found a way to get the split code window to scroll only one window.

In IsVerticalScrollBar I added this to the test:

wi.rcWindow.Top < YPos And _

wi.rcWindow.Bottom > YPos

During my tests I discovered that VB6 crashes if I in the Ad-In manager uncheck Loaded and Clicks OK. Is this a problem in VB6 or in the Mouse Fix?