In this episode, I am joined by Scott Klein, host of the Data Exposed and SQL Unplugged shows, for a whirlwind tour of some of the advancements in data technology that have appeared recently. We review data technologies and services covering both on-premises and the cloud.
- SQL Server 2016 [03:30] -> Some of the exciting new features in SQL Server 2016 include StretchDB (stretch your on-premises cold data transparently and securely to the cloud), Polybase (access and combine both relational and non-relational data all from within SQL Server), Always Encrypted (enables clients to encrypt sensitive data inside client applications without ever revealing the encryption keys to the database engine), R Services (a platform for developing and deploying intelligent applications using the powerful R language), and operational analytics (run both analytics and OLTP workloads in the same database).
- Cloud [13:00] -> Focusing on the cloud, Scott discusses many of the Azure services that focus on data starting with SQL Database and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
- Analytics [15:15] -> Azure Cortana Intelligence suite of services, including Event Hub and IoT Hub (data ingress services), Stream Analytics (real-time event processing engine), Azure Data Factory (data integration and orchestration service), Azure Data Lake Store (hyper-scale repository for big data analytic workloads).
- U-SQL [20:10] -> A language that unifies the benefits of SQL with the expressive power of .NET for Azure Data Lake Analytics.
- Visual Studio plug-ins [22:00]: Visual Studio plug-ins for both Azure Data Factory and Azure Stream Analytics.