Visual Studio Toolbox: Getting Started with Xamarin

In this episode, I welcome James Montemagno back to the show to talk about how you can get started developing with Xamarin. James shows exactly what you need to get started building mobile apps with Xamarin including the hardware required and software you need to install. He then shows how to leverage your existing .NET and C# skills to create iOS, Android and Windows mobile apps in Visual Studio with Xamarin. He also shows how to reuse existing .NET libraries and share business logic across apps.

Resources:

• Get Started
  • Visual Studio Dev Essentials
  • James on Twitter
  • James on GitHub
  • James’s Surface Book Setup Guide
  • Comments (9)

1. Victor says:

Nice video, thanks!

2. Steve says:

Very helpful info. Thanks James for the concise presentation.

3. Brandon says:

Can’t wait for this merge with Xamarin! I don’t want to have to buy a Mac or Xcode for that matter in order to develop iOS apps.

1. Brandon, you will still need to buy a Mac (or use a hosted Mac build service like Mac in the Cloud) in order to build iOS apps. That remains a requirement. On the bright side, Xcode is free. 🙂

1. Traceman says:

Robert,
          Thank you for sharing the information regarding solutions for those of us that do not have nor intend to procure any MAC machines

4. Lorenzo Jimenez says:

Great video. Kudos.

5. Tracy Verlin says:

I know this video has to have excellent content. I was, unfortunately, interrupted numerous times during playback. I will see this in a bit or first thing tomorrow.

Thank you (Ahead of time) You are appreciated!

Regards,

Tracy Verlin

6. Tracy Verlin says:

I was interrupted by family. I will have to see this in the AM, first thing too.

I do appreciate your time and effort.

Regards,

Tracy Verlin

7. Ryan Smith says:

Nice video.
      In the past I’ve had trouble getting a call like this to a server using TLS 1.2 to work. Can you describe the steps I would need to do to expand this demo to call using TLS 1.2?

Skip to main content