If you’re upgrading from Beta 1 (or a CTP) to Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005, you have to be careful to remove all of the previous build before installing Beta 2. This note came around and I thought I’d forward it along.
If you have installed previous versions of Visual Studio 2005, such as Beta 1 or Community Technical Preview (CTP) builds, the following steps must be followed in order to uninstall the pre-Beta 2 components before installing Visual Studio 2005 Beta2.
1. Go to the Control Panel and launch Add/Remove Programs
2. Remove “Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition”
3. Remove “Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools Express Edition”
4. Remove “Microsoft SQL Native Client”
5. Remove “Microsoft MSDN Express Library 2005 Beta”
6. Remove all Microsoft Visual Studio Express Editions (such as Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta)
7. Remove “Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package 2.0 Beta”
8. Remove “Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Beta”
You may now begin installing Beta 2 of the Express product or products you wish to use. If you have problems, please visit the Visual Studio Express Forum and report your specific issue.