`I have really missed the Insert key on my Surface Pro 3 (SP3). In the process of searching for a key combination that replaced it, I learned that there wasn’t one. Scott Hanselman posted how to remap the Insert key using SharpKeys. This utility makes it really simple to make the change.
However, I was also curious about how to remap it by adding a value to the Windows Registry. After reading about this on the Softpanorama web site, I found that I simply had to do the following:
- Go to Start->Run (or press Win+R) and type in ‘regedit’ to open the registry editor.
- Navigate to:
Note: Keyboard Layout, not Keyboard Layouts!
- Go to Edit->New->Binary Value and name it ‘Scancode Map’
- Now double-click and edit the value to the following:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 52 E0 3a 00 00 00 00 00
Note that the 52 E0 represents the scan code for the Caps Lock key.
- Now log off and back in. Pressing the Caps Lock key will now behave like the Insert key.
- If logging off and back in doesn’t affect the change, reboot your machine.
Thanks to Softpanorama for such a great post!