“Some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read”


One day I noticed that all of a sudden an message pops up with text “Some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read”,  when I try to open my project in Visual Studio 2008. I remember that I had changed some build settings at the solution level, but was not sure what this message was all about.

Tried binging for results and figured out that people have faced this issue in VS 2003 and VS 2005. I followed the discussion, which eventually lead to opening up the .sln file in a text editor and figuring out what has really changed. I noticed that under the “Global” section, we have “GlobalSection” section, which actually has the number of projects in the solution along with the .csproj information in it.  I was surprised to see that this section was repeated in my .sln file with different information (the SccNumberOfProjects attribute shows 68 at one place and 69 at other place). As I knew that my solution in fact had only 68 projects, I deleted the section with the incorrect information.  And that was it!!! . The error went away ..

Comments (29)

  1. Nitin says:

    Great!… This is what I was looking for.. Thanks for the help Rahul.

  2. Mac says:

    If this happens with Visual Studio 2010 check for the SccNumberOfProjects property in the .sln file. If it is repeated with different numbers, correct.

  3. Balaji says:

    Thnxx a lot for the solution .. right on nail.

  4. Guha says:

    Ditto on all the comments. That worked for me too!

  5. Sekhar says:

    We have the same issue for many months – not sure what cause this. We finally have a fix. Thanks Rahul.

  6. nawfal says:

    thanks, this worked for me too

  7. Mahesh Dhinge says:

    Thanks!!!!

    It worked for me too after correcting the .sln file (opened in notepad).

  8. Laurent says:

    Thanks, it drove me crazy for a couple of days. I had "Pending checkins" windows stuck to "Updating…" because of this.

  9. Esteban says:

    18 months later and the Rahul's solution still works!… thank you!

  10. lx says:

    You were right about the SccNumberOfProjects in Visual Studio 2010: after I corrected it, it went as smoothly as previously. Thanks

  11. Outstanding, that fixed my problem as well!

  12. jsahol says:

    FYI, I think this may be due to a bad merge resolution in source control.

    Thanks for spotting this!

  13. Thanks for the help Rahul.

  14. lol… the old project I'm working on had it repeated three times… nice work.

  15. aagarwal8 says:

    just what i was looking for…thanks

  16. Scott says:

    Thanks, I just had the same problem after upgrading a SRS Project to VS 2010

  17. Willem says:

    Perfect solution to my problem. Thanks!

  18. Andrew says:

    Great thanks, had the same after huge merging

  19. Shathar says:

    If project not added in .sln file, just right click the .sln and add the missing project using add new Existing Project option.

  20. Mark says:

    Same issue in VS2012 with a solution.      Dead on the money!   Thanks!

  21. Rodney says:

    Confirmed this works for VS2012 problem.

  22. Felipe says:

    Many thanks, worked perfectly here.

  23. Richard Bos says:

    Thanks for the post, worked great for me.

  24. Pham Thao says:

    Thank you so much. I had merged wrong the file .sln. I now i fixed it. It work fine for me.

  25. Adam says:

    I got around this by going in to the Configuration Manager (C#,VS2012) and unticking and ticking a build, forcing the .sln file to be updated, and the problem went away.

  26. Harsha says:

    Thank you so much.Worked great for me

  27. Ryan says:

    My issue was the same except I had a repeat of whole global section to do with TFS which were the same deleting the whole of one section worked great. Thanks for this! 🙂

  28. Sander says:

    VS 2013 duplicated the section. I removed one of them from the sln file and now everything works again. Thnx!

  29. Dev says:

    Worked for me. Stay away from TFS if possible!

Skip to main content