System.Xml Hacking (AppendXml vs. InnerXml)


I was spending some time composing Soap Messages using System.Xml, but I found a strange behavior of  System.Xml while adding nodes to an existing XmlDocument.

 

I have an empty soap envelope like this:

 

string soapEnvelope = “<s:env xmlns:s=’soap’><s:body /></s:env>”;

 

What I want is to add the method payload from the next information:

 

string methodName = “m”;

string ns=”urn:ns”;

string methodBody = “<name>rido</name>”;             

 

My first attempt was a mix between AppendChild and InnerXml

 

XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();

doc.LoadXml(soapEnvelope);               

XmlElement methodNode =  doc.CreateElement(methodName, ns);                                                      

methodNode.InnerXml = methodBody;              

XmlNode body = doc.GetElementsByTagName(“s:body”)[0];            

body.AppendChild(methodNode);

 

However the result output was

 

<s:env xmlns:s=”soap”>

  <s:body>

    <m xmlns=”urn:ns”>

      <name xmlns=””>rido</name>

    </m>

  </s:body>

</s:env>

 

Note the empty namespace declaration in the name element, and the bad news is that ASP.Net needs the namespace information to deserialize the request message, so I have to hack System.Xml to avoid this behavior.

 

I take a look to news://microsoft.public.dotnet.xml and I only a found a few messages talking about how to remove the attribute once the final message is composed, but I would like to avoid the empty namespace (xmlns=””) while composing the doc. After playing a little bit with the API I found the solution:

 

Instead of creating the method element with AppendChild, I’m going to manually build the whole method element in a string, and assign it to the body InnerXml property:

 

XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();

doc.LoadXml(soapEnvelope);                                 

XmlNode body = doc.GetElementsByTagName(“s:body”)[0];            

string methodXml = String.Format(“<{0} xmlns='{1}’>{2}</{0}>”,

      methodName, ns, methodBody);

body.InnerXml = methodXml;

 

 

Now it works…

Comments (1)

  1. sloan says:

    I figured this out….
    <br>
    <br>(doc is an XmlDocument)
    <br>
    <br>XmlElement root = doc.DocumentElement;
    <br>
    <br> string defaultns = string.Empty;// = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet&quot;;
    <br>
    <br> defaultns = root.NamespaceURI;
    <br>
    <br> XmlElement rowElem = doc.CreateElement (&quot;Row&quot; , defaultns);
    <br>
    <br>This got rid of the &quot;empty namespace&quot;. What is happening is that because their is ~~already a default namespace, its putting one in for the UnIdentified (namespace) for the new XmlElement.
    <br>
    <br>C# code is above.
    <br>
    <br>..