Exciting changes for me

I’ve changed jobs.  Well, sort of 🙂

For the Whidbey product release I was the performance architect on the CLR, and I can’t even start to tell you how much fun that was.  And how educational it was.

So the bad news is I’m not doing that anymore.

But the good news is that The Powers That Be have asked me to continue doing what I do for the whole of Developer Division, not just the CLR.  So me and a few colleagues are going to be driving the same kind of performance culture and practices that we used on the CLR throughout the division.  It’s a big challenge but I’m looking forward to helping even more people here at Microsoft and in turn even more of my customers.

Wish me luck!

P.S. The diabolical laughter you hear is me 🙂

1. Travis Owens says:

That’s cool to hear, so basically instead of watching over coding performance for the CLR team you’re doing it for all programming?

That sounds like a larger task, does that mean you’ll be getting some performance side kicks?

I guess I’m just fingering for a job 🙂

I’ve had an interest in performance since my PHP/MySQL days 6yrs ago.

2. Steven says:

Good luck and may the force be with you 😉

3. ricom says:

4. Jeff Voskamp says:

As long as it doesn’t cut into quality time at home.

Since it’s a Friday announcement: do you start the new job on Monday or in the new year?

5. ricom says:

Technically I started when Whidbey released. In practice it was well after that but still a little bit ago. It’s just that I prefer blogging about parsers than reorgs 🙂

6. Haacked says:

Congratulations! We’ll know who to thank as our applications speed up as a whole.

7. Raptor says:

Hi, Kudos Mr. Mariani. I think you have made I great job with 2.0.

However there’s somethings I’d like to know, Why is so hard for the JIT to inline functions with value type parameters? Is it possible to have this fixed thru and update without waiting for 2.1?

And When can we expect an Interface for numeric data types that allow us to use generics for calculations?

Thanx in advance,

PS: Just in case you think I’m accusing you or something, NO HELL NO, I’m just too damn curious. Excuse me if you have already answered this a bazillion times.

8. Will Dean says:

That was quick! And I only asked a few minutes ago.

Good luck in the new job – if you can break the culture of glacial craptitude in the IDE that will be fantastic (for my infant children, who will probably be working by the time the next VS release/patch appears 🙂

Will you now have the clout to have a word in somebody’s ear about this bug? (I have previously canvassed your opinion on ODS spew)

9. PiersH says:

Congratulations, Rico. Good luck on your continuing hunt for wasted cycles!

10. Eran Sandler says:

May your experience and influence shine upon all of you crazy diamonds at the developer division 😉

11. Andy C says:

"Funny you should say that. Which side of The Force do you think I’m noted for using? 🙂 "

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of new features suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. 🙂

Great news Rico, I’m sure you’ll do a good job!

12. damien morton says:

Always good to read your column. I can only imagine it will get more interesting as the scope of your purview expands.

Congrats again.

13. Is there anybody on CLR team that’s going to be replacing you? Are you given the ticket to build a team of "perf watchers"? Could be really interesting job and change in process.

14. SarahC says:

Excellent news, Rico!

Impressive. Most impressive.

15. JoeL says:

Gee, it sounds a lot more like Vincent Price than you, but I’ll let that slide. 😉

16. David Conrad says:

Which side of the force?

Naturally, you would profile both sides, and then use the one that is more performant.