InitializeSimpleMembership Attribute and SimpleMembership Exceptions

The InitializeSimpleMembership Attribute ensures that before any membership (login/register) related functionality is run, that the membership database has been created. If the database is not yet created, the code will automatically create one. If the simple membership initialization fails, the Web Application can continue to run requests that don’t require membership.

Simple membership initialization failure can occur for the following reasons.

1. The most common reason is the connection string to SQL Server is not valid. For example, you might not have SQL Server available. This is a frequent cause of failure in Azure. The ASP.NET MVC 4 templates by default use SqlExpress when created with Visual Studio 2010 and LocalDB when using Visual Studio 2012. SqlExpress is not installed on Azure and LocalDB does not run on Azure.
  2. Multiple DBContext objects on the same database.

The following code shows the InitializeSimpleMembership Attribute code that is added to a new ASP.NET MVC application. The code is found in the Filters folder:

using System;
using System.Data.Entity;
using System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure;
using System.Threading;
using System.Web.Mvc;
using WebMatrix.WebData;
using MvcV4.Models;

namespace MvcV4.Filters
    [AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Class | AttributeTargets.Method, AllowMultiple = false, Inherited = true)]
    public sealed class InitializeSimpleMembershipAttribute : ActionFilterAttribute
        private static SimpleMembershipInitializer _initializer;
        private static object _initializerLock = new object();
        private static bool _isInitialized;

public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)
            // Ensure ASP.NET Simple Membership is initialized only once per app start
            LazyInitializer.EnsureInitialized(ref _initializer, ref _isInitialized, ref _initializerLock);

private class SimpleMembershipInitializer
            public SimpleMembershipInitializer()

using (var context = new UsersContext())
                        if (!context.Database.Exists())
                            // Create the SimpleMembership database without Entity Framework migration schema

WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection("DefaultConnection", "UserProfile", "UserId", "UserName", autoCreateTables: true);
                catch (Exception ex)
                    throw new InvalidOperationException("The ASP.NET Simple Membership database could not be initialized. For more information, please see", ex);

1. Dave White says:

Have you changed something with the connection strings? I can't see it documented anywhere, but with SQL Server the username parameter name seems to have been changed from "User Name" to "User".

2. Loic Bar says:

I have the exception when using Azure (it works fine on my computer connecting to SQL Azure).

What do we need to do when dealing with Azure?

3. Naomi says:

So, what should we do? I am using SQL Server 2008 and I have connection string pointing to my application.

I am not sure I'd like to use the default provider, I already have Operators (Users) table in my database and I want to use that table instead. What / where should I change?

Thanks in advance

4. Hassan says:

Thanks for your article

But I have search all over the internet to resolve the situation below :

How to Handle the initialization when Simplemebership and context share the same database and the same context ?

I have a Database and I want to store the simplemembership information and my domain model tables too. But how to Initialize them at the same time and seeding them ?

This seems to be impossible

5. Really? says:

Article post is as useless as they come.

6. Mirza says:

I get most inner exception Invalid value for key 'attachdbfilename'. When using Mysql same web.config works in MVC3

7. Loic says:

@Mirza  you need to have the correct values in the defaultconnection connection string. I copied mine into there

8. Hi, I just questioning why we need this filter here…/why-initializesimplemembershipattribute-in-mvc-4-app

Initially I think this filter only useful for controllers/actions that has Membership aware and provide something like lazy initialization but after sometimes, I quickly used this filter everywhere until I realize I don't need this filter but WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection required to be called in Application_Start.

Lazy initialization is not really necessary because not only this way will make non-membership controllers/views loads faster but initialize in app start once also do the same.

Sorry to say that, based on my point of view, using this filter is impractical because anyone definitely use Membership API anywhere like calling User.IsInRole in _Layout.cshtml to show menu for admin.

WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection required to be called before using any of the Membership or Role API.

The existence of LazyInitializer.EnsureInitialized in the filter makes move this code into Application_Start. I hope by moving the filter to Application_Start save other developers time.

There is no reason not to initialize membership database in Application_Start unless you are designing non-membership application. Initialization for SimpleMembership is required even though you declare the SimpleMembershipProvider in the web.config to replace the default membership provider defined in machine.config.

It is not worth by having this filter but later introduce a few problems

It is too late to initialize database (and/or membership related objects) when the first request has been called.

9. Jeff says:

Can someone please post a correct connection string example for using simple membership and sqlazure.

10. Peter says:

Why would multiple DbContext on one database cause errors?

11. Vasiliy says:

Hre youcan fing example how to implement your own CustomMemberhipProbvider instead SimpleMembershipProvider…/MVC4CustomMembershipSolution

12. Alan Macdonald says:

You need to ACTUALLY explain scenario 2 where multiple DB Contexts cause an error.  Are you saying to change the attrbiute to use the same context as the rest of your application?  I can't get that working.

13. Aaargh says:

I have now been struggling to make this SimpleMembership provider work with my own database the ENTIRE DAY and I am nowhere. It simply does not work. What a piece of rubbish. Don't know why I bothered trying to use built in MS rubbish, it always comes back to bite us, I could have built my own user/role table configuration in the time I have wasted trying to make this pile 'o crap come alive.

14. Nij says:

It's a little frustrating that this is the target of the error link, but you don't actually address 'half' the causes of errors – WHY would having more than one DbContext cause problems, and HOW should we resolve those problems?

In fact you don''t seem really to address the case where connecting to azure either.

15. Sander says:

I struggled with the same issue, and only just realized that if you look at the constructor of UsersContext it is initialized with a hardcoded connectionstring name of "DefaultConnection".

If you have this connection string name in Web.Config (or Machine.Config) it will work. But if you don't have that name in Web.Config it may very well take the connection details from Machine.Config which will probably not point to the right server in a hosted environment.

16. Greg Moress says:

If you're using SQL Server, be sure to have your connection string include

(That was a long hunt)

17. Nicholas says:

Point 2 is referring to the fact you cannot have two objects in the database with the same name.

If you don't modify the SimpleMembership it will try and create a table named UserProfile. If you have the universal providers set up to use the same database it has a foreign key constraint on the Profiles table with the same name UserProfile.

Renaming the foreign key constraint should stop the error.

If you still get an error then try setting the SimpleMembership to use an empty database. You can then get scripts for everything it creates and run them on your main database to find where the conflict occurs.

18. David says:

I'm struggling trying to use WebMatrix.WebData.SimpleMembershipProvider … I'm constantly getting a message that I need to run WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection() before using simplemenbership methods.

But I AM running it!  I even put it in the line before I tried to execute GetUser from a SimpleMembershipProvider object and it STILL complained that I hadn't run the initialization!

19. Francis says:

What's wrong with Microsoft  ASP Team? Poor docu.

20. Suresh says:

I have tried in SQLServer 2008, mentioned the connection string in web.config file

<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="uid=****;pwd=*****;server=(local);

database=aspnet-SampleMVC4Layout-20140325111706" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

If Membership db does not exists, system automatically creates the db.

Issue was identified in

21. fasih says:

what is the actual meaning of UsersContext

22. Ricmar says:

Add a connection string in web.config named "DefaultConnection" pointing to the correct datasource, that did the trick for me :o)

<add name="MvcAuction.Models.AuctionsDataContext" connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDb)v11.0;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|MvcAuction.Models.AuctionDataContext.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDb)v11.0;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|MvcAuction.Models.AuctionDataContext.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

23. suresh ganapa says:

here is the working connection string:

<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="server=WKMJ84N9BSQLEXPRESS;Database=aspnet-MvcApplication1-20140916105626;Integrated Security=SSPI;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

replace WKMJ84N9B with you machine id

24. Grimi says:

How can I change this class to connect with Azure?

I tried with:

"data;initial catalog=mydb;persist security info=True;user id=username;password=pasword;MultipleActiveResultSets=True;App=EntityFramework;"

The same in the web.config, but it still not work.

25. Ahmed Salah says:

Hi guys , i had the same painful problem , and this is my start for the mvc4 , i searched a lot

of links for this problems and read a lot of craps, i left all that carps , it turns out the problem is simple, the problem in the connection string  :

1-in your web.config file add the following in the <appSettings>:

<add key="enableSimpleMembership" value="true" />

2-modify your connection string ,the default as is this :

<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDb)v11.0;Initial Catalog=aspnet-HaveYouSeenMe-20141104172053;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnet-HaveYouSeenMe-20141104172053.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

so change it to make it like this :

<add name="DefaultConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=HaveYouSeenMe;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|HaveYouSeenMe.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

if you noticed guys , i just changed the sql engine from localdb to sqlexpress(because i have it installed) , and changed the name of mdf file which is optional for you….

i hope i helped here 🙂

26. Brian says:

How can i use EF5 codefirst model to create oracle database? Thank you.

27. pankaj says:

thanks suresh ganapa for provide right information.

28. Manuel Cervera says:

Ahmed Salah your answer works for me i just wrote my server name and it works, thak you so much.

29. Mike Starcher says:

Needed the correct connection string.

Needed to comment out a few things in the Filters folder > InitializeSimpleMembershipAttribute.vb

I have a hosted account where I cannot make databases.  It has to use the only one there that I have access.  So I had to comment out the part that was trying to make a new database.  This is what I ended up with in InitializeSimpleMembershipAttribute.vb

Private Class SimpleMembershipInitializer

Public Sub New()

'Database.SetInitializer(Of UsersContext)(Nothing)

'Using context As New UsersContext()

'    If Not context.Database.Exists() Then

'        ' Create the SimpleMembership database without Entity Framework migration schema

'        CType(context, IObjectContextAdapter).ObjectContext.CreateDatabase()

'    End If

'End Using

WebSecurity.InitializeDatabaseConnection("DefaultConnection", "UserProfile", "UserId", "UserName", autoCreateTables:=True)

Catch ex As Exception

Throw New InvalidOperationException("The ASP.NET Simple Membership database could not be initialized. For more information, please see, ex)

End Try

End Sub

End Class

Notice that most of it was commented out except for the initilzeDatabaseConnection part.

30. swety says:

when i am clciking on login or register then

error–exception has been thrown by target of invocation