To set up IIS to run ASP.NET applications (including MVC 3 and Web Matrix):
- Install the Microsoft Web Platform Installer 3.0 from here.
- Run the Web Platform Installer (WPI) and select Products on the top and Server in the left pane.
- Click the Add button for IIS 7 Recommended Configuration.
- Click Install.
The image below from Windows 2008 R2/SP1 Server Manger shows the 21 Role Services enabled by the IIS 7 recommended configuration.
If you need additional features (known as role services in Windows 2008) such as Window Authentication, Dynamic compression, or Tracing:
In Windows 7:
- Select the windows start button and enter Prog.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Select Turn Windows features on or off.
- Select Internet Information Services.
- Select the feature you want to enable. In the image below, Windows Authentication is selected.
- Select OK.