Commerce Server 2006 Starter Site Beta Now Available

It's here, the long wait is over. We've just made a drop of the Commerce Server 2006 Starter Site (beta) at the
Microsoft Connect site. We've got most of the
core functionality in there, including ASP.NET master pages and web controls for functions such
as drag-and-drop product detail and shopping cart. Profiles and authorization are hooked up as well. Great stuff. Please
remember that we haven't applying much UI formatting at this point, so it'll be up to you to skin it how you like. Of course, the UI
shouldn't matter because this beta version of the Starter Site can NOT be put in production. It should be used as a programming reference.

Not signed up for the Commerce Server 2006 beta? For shame! Check out the
Commerce Server 2006 Beta
registration page.

1. Martyn says:

I cant see the starter site in the list of items to download. All I can see is the CS2006 beta from last december.

Should it be in the list or is it somewhere else?

Martyn

2. Check again. I see it there now.

3. Martyn says:

Thanks for the reply, I am able to download it now

4. Scott says:

I would like to get a look at the first drop of the starter site that you are working on.  I am currently looking at using Commerce Server 2006 for my companies ecommerce customers and would love to see how your starter kit might fit into that strategy.  Is there a way that I could get an invite into the Commerce Server program that you folks are working in?

Thanks,

Respectfully,

Scott

5. Hey Scott, It’s a public beta, so just visit http://www.microsoft.com/commerceserver/evaluation/2006/beta.mspx, sign up, and you’ll get access to all the bits.

6. Brent says:

I unpuped the new starter site and ran the data import util, but the site doesnt work as expected. The default page will load, but all I see is a paragraph in french and two links that dont work when they are clicked. Any advice? I have looked for a simple readme file for the starter site, but i cant find anything. Thanks!

7. Ouch.  That’s rough.  I’m actually getting the starter site set up as we speak.  Have you posted your issue to the CS2k6 beta newsgroup?

8. Brent says:

Can you please send me the CS2k6 news group that you are referring to? I googled it and found a couple.

Thanks!

9. I assume that if you have CS2006 bits, you signed up via the "Connect" site.  If that’s the case, then you should be using the "microsoft.beta.cs_2006.general" group.  It’s only for beta users, so you need a valid account.

10. Joe says:

I have installed the Starter site and it runs fine with the basic functionality. How do I connect to the site with Visual Studio 2005 to start making my own pages and modifications?

Thanks!!

11. jlopez says:

I am not able to download CS2006 Starter Site. I don’t see it in the ms-connect site. Is it still available?

Thanks!

12. Just pinged some folks.  I’ll let you know what I find …

13. Hey Joe, just do a "open –> web site" and point to the new starter site website from within Visual Studio.  SHould load the whole solution for you and allow you to make changes.  Or, you can try and find the .sln file (probably in wwwroot) and open it from there.

14. Joe says:

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no .sln file with the Starter Site (at least not with the copy that I have). But just opening the web site and pointing it to "C:InetpubwwwrootStarterSite" worked. Thanks very much.

By the way, I’m having a real hard time finding documentation, tutorials, examples, white papers, etc for CS 2007. Can you please point me to some online resources?

Thanks!!

Joe

15. zok says:

I don’t see Starter Site beta links on microsoft page any more. I have installation, but there is no installation guide. Can enyone help?

Thanks!