Package migration from version 3 to version 2 failed with error 0xC001700A. The version number in the package is not valid. The version number cannot be greater than current version number.

I guess at least once every SQL developer might have come across this error on SQL Server 2008 while running a SQL job that calls a package.

Reason for the error: Old version of the DTEXEC is picked up by SQL Server instead of the new one. That means, the exe shipped with 2005 is picked up when it is expected to use the one shipped with 2008. So, obviously this happens when SQL Server 2008 is running along with SQL Server 2005 on the same machine. As a result of this, we end up with two versions of DTEXEC executables. One residing in SQL Server 2005 path (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn”) and the other in SQL Server 2008 path (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn”).

Fix for the error: There are three workarounds to correct this.

1. Hard code the path of SQL Server 2008’s DTEXEC while calling the SSIS package as shown below.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTEXEC.exe /F “D:\MyFolder\MyPackage.dtsx”

2. Rename the old exe in the 2005 path to a different name (Example:- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\DTEXEC_Old.exe)

3. Go to PATH environmental variable and edit it in such a way that “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn” path appears well before the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn” path.

Please drop me a note if this has helped you.

1. Deepika says:

Hi

Thanks a lot for the fixes provided above. Although they didn’t configure the package correctly but guided me to the solution that I finally used.

I went to the command line and navigated to the SQL Server 2008 DTS/Binn node and executed the DTExec.exe from there with the package name. ANd it worked.

So thanks again!!!

-Deepika

2. Mahesh says:

Hello Ramoji!

for its worked well

thanks a ton for such a valued one.

3. Prashant says:

Thanks a lot Ramoji!

Renaming the old exe worked for us…..

4. Jennifer says:

Thank YOU! Renaming the file worked perfectly and my packages are now running error free once more.

5. Srilatha says:

Thank You. Renaming the file really works. And no more errors now.

6. Mean Deen says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been beating my head against the wall trying to get my package to run from the job task and #1 worked like a charm

7. Keertana says:

Thanks a lot…This article was really very helpful…

8. David says:

If you’re doing this programmatically, you just need to update the reference (Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS) in your project from the SQL Server 2005’s to SQL Server 2008’s.

9. Dani says:

Thant's a lot.

I did this:

2. Rename the old exe in the 2005 path to a different name (Example:- C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server90DTSBinnDTEXEC_Old.exe)

And works fine 🙂

10. Anand says:

thanks a lot  – quick knock out 🙂

11. Mohan Deval says:

VioLa…. Just renaming the …../90/DTEXEC.exe   to something else  worked fine.  .. Thanx…

12. Jay says:

Worked – thank you – I renamed the old dtexec.exe.

13. Akshay D says:

I Renamed the

C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server90DTSBinnDTEXEC.exe to …DTEXEC_old.exe…

it worked for me..

Thank u very much…!!

14. Andy says:

Simple advice. Several options, all of them easy.  Million thanks.

15. Priya says:

Thanks a lot !!!!! Very Good Article

16. Tracy says:

Attached is an example of what I used.  Hope this helps.

c:

cd program files

cd microsoft sql server

cd 100

cd dts

cd binn

dtexec.exe /FILE "\Your Package Location.dtsx"

17. Rajesh says:

Hi,

I have a different situation here. I developed SSIS package with Lookup transformation in SQL Server 2008R2 but production server is SQL Server 2005. So while i am trying to create a job in production server (i.e. SQL server 2005) it is throwing an error( same as above).

So i tried re develop SSIS package in SQL Server 2005 but i am not getting same kind of fuctionality for Lookup transformation ( there is no option of sending no match entries to no match putput).

Is there any way i can use my 2008 R2 SSIS package in SQL server 2005.

Help me

Thanks.

18. Vinod says:

Thanks … It was really very helpful.

19. Simon says:

wow, such an awesome solution. Happened to me after an in-place upgrade from '05 to '08. Simply renaming the file worked.

20. Deepa Revankar says:

Thanks. I could solve the version problem. However after that i am getting

"   Description: To run a SSIS package outside of Business Intelligence Developm

nt Studio you must install Standard Edition of Integration Services or higher.

End Error

"

BIDS and Integration services for 2008 are installed. Still i am getting the above error.Can you suggest what needs to be done now ?

21. DBA says:

used C:program files option but had to put  double quotes to make it work. Great help!

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100DTSBinnDTEXEC.exe" /F "D:MyFolderMyPackage.dtsx"

22. GL says:

Thanks so much! Had a similar issue but with a different error code 0xC0011008. 2008 package wouldn't deploy using the manifest as I usually use 2005. Renamed the 2005 one and then back deployed and worked like a charm! Thanks!

23. Arshad says:

I have created an SSIS package using MS SQL 2008 and calling from console application build in VS2008…….I am getting the following error while loading the package

24. Arshad says:

The package works fine using SSIS IDE but throws the above error while trying to load and execute it from console application……..kindly help

25. Liz says:

Thanks this helped had the same error scheduling a dtsx package to run with task scheduler through a bat file. I had both 2008 R2 and 2010 installed. Once I removed 2008 works great.

26. sivarajah says:

tks i have faced this problem now running with our error

you gave grate solution tks again

27. rejoyce49 says:

My package works in SQL Server Mge Studio. I am getting this error when trying to open the package in Visual Studio.  I need to change something in the package and cannot open it.

28. Gabe says:

I hardcoded the path to the DTEXEC while calling the SSIS package as you mentioned and it worked for me.

Thank you so much!!!!

29. Dileep says:

Hi..Can someone make me clear of 1st work around ( C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100DTSBinnDTEXEC.exe /F "D:MyFolderMyPackage.dtsx")