Error 1603 installing AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server

I been dealing for some time with an error installing AppFabric 1.1. for Windows Server. All started when, after having AppFabric installed my laptop runs in a System Restore after having updated the video driver. The restore puts my system in a previous state where the installation of AppFabric isn't exists. 

After that, I've tried to re-install AppFabric with the surprise of getting the following error: Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Setup.Core.SetupException: AppFabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code : 1603

I've research on the error but most of the information found leads me to re-install the .NET Frameworks (all versions). Wrong.

Finally, keeping more attention to the MSI error I've found within the following post MSI Error 1603 installing AppFabric 1.1 / Win7 x64 which have correct the solution. I Have to say that the title is better than the content, in fact, I've pass over this post initially but does not look to have the solution, that was at the end of the thread.

The problem was that the "system restore" do not have removed the "PSModulePath" environment variable and the installation fails because it already exists!. Really simple solution, remove it.




Comments (11)

  1. Ming Man says:

    Good one!

  2. Matt Poland says:

    I fixed this same error code in my deployment. It only occured for me if I had run the installer once before and then re-ran it again later for new features or somthing like that. As soon as you start the Installer, it will create a temporary folder. Copy that folder and save it off with a different name. Now cancel that install.

    Open Regedit and search (CTRL+F) for "AppFabric". You should find an entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInstallerProducts{SomeStringOfCharacters}. Under that check SourceList it will have a Key called LastUsedSource. Update the folder path within it to match the temporary folder we just saved off. Also check SourceList/Net. It will likely have multiple keys with numeric Names. Make sure the Data value for them match your temporary folder path as well.

    Now go into your temporary folder and run Setup.exe. It should complete now. I've seen behavior like this with other installers that first extract files to a temporary folder. Re-running the installer mostly works from the new temporary folder but some aspect of it holds on to the old temporary folder in the registry and tries to load something up from the old location.

  3. mahieddine says:

    Hi,the solution it's in this page…/windows-appfabric

    I hope this you fix your problem 😉

  4. ps says:

    Removing the extra double quote " in the path of PSModules in Environment Profiles helped in solving this issue on Win7 x86

  5. Dhanya says:

    Thank. it helped

  6. Bharath Gadipally says:

    Yes, Thank you very much, I simply removed the PSModulePath environment variable and the installation was successfull

  7. Thanks! says:

    this way I've got through the problev

  8. Sunil says:

    By removing the additional " at the end of the PSModulePath value resolved the issue

  9. BAStark says:

    Man… this article makes little sense.

    Please restate the following in proper English:

    "The problem was that the "system restore" do not have removed the "PSModulePath" environment variable and the installation fails because it already exists!. Really simple solution, remove it."

    I assume you meant to say:

    "The problem appears to be that the "System Restore" process did not remove the "PSModulePath" environment variable and because the environment variable exists, the installation fails. Therefor, remove the "PSModulePath" environment variable"  

  10. Raghavendar says:

    Thank you Mr.Raul

  11. Mike Keysaer says:

    I encountered this issue trying to install SharePoint after my prerequisite installer failed. Be careful that you do not remove needed path variables for PSModulePath.  I think the issue is that the uninstall does not cleanly remove the path specifically for the AppFabric.  I first backed up the PSModulePath variables, removed the environment variable, and then successfully reran the SharePoint prerequisite installer.  Afterward, I added the original path variables back to PSModulePath.

Skip to main content