You might see that there is no UI way to take backup, restore backup. Only available way (till Windows 2008 Server RC0) is by the AppCmd tool. Below are the commands to do that:
appcmd add backup “backupname”
appcmd restore backup “backupname”
For those who wanted to have an UI way for this, here is my new IIS7 UI Module. Below is how it looks:
In the available Backups drop combobox, you will find all the available backups. Select the one which you want to restore and click “Restore” button. It would look like below:
Here is the link for the DLL:
To add this module in your IIS 7 manager follow the below steps:
- Download the IIS7BackupRestore.dll.
- From inetsrv folder Drag and Drop the IIS7BackupRestore.dll into the Global Assembly Cache (C:\Windows\assembly) or use GacUtil -i IIS7BackupRestore.dll to install it to the GAC.
- Under File Menu, browse for the file %WinDir%\System32\InetSrv\config\Administration.config.
- Search for the <moduleProviders> section and add the following
<add name=”IIS7BackupRestoreUI” type=”IIS7BackupRestoreUI.MyModuleProvider, IIS7BackupRestoreUI, Version=184.108.40.206, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db9daa3d2ea5f6fd” />
- Search for the <modules> section and add the following
<add name=”IIS7BackupRestoreUI” />
- Open Inetmgr and You will see the module listed in your IIS 7 Manager if you would’ve followed the above steps properly.
Let me know if this helps you!
UPDATE : This now available in IIS.net/downloads. Here is the link.