Unlock Your Windows Phone 7 For Development

The process of unlocking your Windows Phone 7 device is very straightforward and take a few seconds. However, the information about the process provided at the developer portal is inadequate and even misleading. (Mister Goodcat put up a great post explaining the issue.) The tool you will need is called “Developer Phone Registration” and is located at your computer once you’ve installed the WP7 development tools.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.0\Tools\Phone Registration\PhoneReg.exe"

image

Connect your WP7 phone to your computer using the USB cable that comes with the device. Then launch the tool from All Programs | Windows Phone Developer Tools, and enter your Windows Live ID and password. Done. (If your phone screen is locked, you’ll have to unlock the screen and retry it.)

Note: Unlocking your WP7 device using the tool allows you to debug and test applications on your device. The process is different from carrier’s unlock, which allows you to use a different SIM card (or service). To do so, you’ll need to contact your carrier to get an unlock code and instructions.

1. Lenn Dolling says:

sweet.  Checking out windows 7 alarm clock app on  http://88calls.com

unlock your phone!

2. Oğuz Köroğlu says:

After this proccess gives the the "Marketplace registration incomplete. (Error Code : 0x80043009)" how can i do that. (PS: I am a bizspark member in Turkey)

3. Bane says:

I have the same problem as Oguz. Solution?

4. guestmember says:

Registrations are allowed only by US citizen. Register you @hotmail.com or @live.com account trought a proxy with US-IP. E.g. With http://www.proxpn.com

5. Anthony says:

After this proccess I get "Device is not registered with Marketplace. Please Return to the Developer Portal for more information." What is the developer portal and how do I "return" to it?

6. Eugene says:

F*cking bustards…. pay 100$ to do something for my phone – it is…. I have no words…

I hate MS.

I really hate and now I know that you will die.

Wish Google and Apple good luck.

7. Patrick says:

Me too.. WP dying soon..

why should i pay to modify my own phone?

Damn fu*king stupid WP developing team..

You all not able to do a great job on OS to fulfill us, why do not you allow us to do better stuff on it by ourself..

8. Cameron Reid says:

Thanks for the post. Here’s a free developer program you can join to increase your knowledge and credibility in cloud application development. Get certified and bid on Caspio-specific projects to earn more money blog.caspio.com/…/announcing-caspio-certification-and-developer-network

9. Roy says:

Window Phone is just a "flop"…. Pay $$$ for app-testing on my own device??? (i'm going back to Android…..)

10. Fleeb says:

The payment is only required if you will submit Apps in the Marketplace. You can cancel the payment option and you will have a free account. I do not understand the rage.

11. Axel says:

It's more than that. You have to pay this every year! An insult for the developers!

@ Fleeb

That does not work on my account. At what point did you cancel the payment?

12. Chris says:

For Apple, you need to pay even for downloading the SDK. That is much more costly!

13. Xavier says:

Well, I have my share of unhappiness too. Microsoft makes it hard for a developer to build apps for their own platform, that is if they are not from the US.

They should be ENCOURAGING people to develop, not blocking them 🙂

14. Erik says:

I get an error: "Marketplace registration incomplete. (Error Code : 0x80043009)"

Phone (freaking Lumia) was purchased in Slovenia. I live in Slovenia  (EU member country, supposed to be a single market!? Also there were no issues for Developers on other Nokia platforms.)

If I can't use it for development unless I move to another country, how can now I return the freaking useless Windows Phone once unboxed?

15. Prasath says:

I am from India how can i register wp7 developement and unlock my phone.

16. Amey says:

Does this work with Nokia Lumia 800 ?

17. Rob says:

Cant even transfer to phone the app,not to try on it….

Bye bye WP, HELLOOO Android 😀 😀

18. Kyan says:

Why i must to pay that cost when i deloy on own device. I think ms need to change that policy or i must to say good bye with wp.

19. Kurotsuki says:

Well … since no one update the news, now each and every live id can unlock their device (just one device) and deploy up to two apps to the unlocked device for free. You'll only need to pay $99 if you want to publish your app to marketplace.