I’ve received quite a few requests to update my Virtual Earth + Silverlight and WPF + Virtual Earth + Silverlight samples. Both codebases are old code. Therefore, they no longer work against the current releases of Silverlight (1.0 Beta or 1.1 Alpha) and Virtual Earth (v5). I’m part of the way there towards getting the samples updated. It has taken me a bit longer than I planned. That never happens:). I have a few kinks to still work out, but a few folks are waiting patiently. Therefore I decided to share what I have so far. I’ve cleaned up the code enough to where I think it is usable for people who want a jumpstart. There are two samples in the current download.
The first one uses:
- Custom Dashboard (Silverlight)
- Adds pins using GeoRSS (both a pushpin and a polygon)
- Custom info box popup using a div tag (containing Silverlight content)
- Silverlight 1.0 Beta
- Transparency atop HTML
The second one uses:
- New Small Navigation Dashboard
- Default info box popup containing both HTML & Silverlight content
- Silverlight 1.1 Alpha
- C# managed code
- Sample Silverlight 1.1 Alpha Button control
- ASP.NET Futures (May 2007) Xaml server control (makes adding Silverlight to an ASP.NET page REALLY easy)
- Calling a web service asynchronously from C#
I will continue working on the sample. 3D is not enabled in either of the samples because I have yet to get it working. I have yet to port over my VE + Silverlight in a WPF code as well. I’m working with James on our team to make all the samples look prettier. He’s going to sprinkle some “magic designer pixie dust” on it soon:). You can download the code here.
You will need Silverlight 1.1 Alpha, Visual Studio codename “Orcas” Beta 1, Microsoft Silverlight Tools Alpha for Visual Studio codename “Orcas,” and Microsoft ASP.NET Futures (May 2007) for the sample. Expression Blend 2 May Preview and the Microsoft Silverlight 1.1 Alpha Software Development Kit (SDK) would be helpful for further exploration. Everything can be downloaded from http://silverlight.net/getstarted.