Virtual Earth Programming Deck and Code

Thanks to everyone who attended the Virtual Earth Public Sector Partner Event or one of my Webcasts this week on Virtual Earth programming.  As promised, here are the download links.  I have broken them up into multiple downloads because it would be a HUGE download otherwise.

VeProgramming.zip – Full deck.  The deck has more content than what I showed during the presentation.  The focus of the presentation was demos.

VEMapControlDemo.zip – This is my implementation of the Virtual Earth Interactive SDK (v4).  However, I introduce using ASP.NET AJAX to make AJAX programming with the Virtual Earth Map Control (v4) easier.  NOTE: This code does not use the map control that shipped with earlier releases of ASP.NET “Atlas.”  The code uses the standard Virtual Earth Map Control (v4).  You will need to download and install ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 Beta 2 to get the code to compile.  The code also uses the ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Futures November CTP.  However, the assembly is already in the bin directory.

VirtualEarthAjaxControlToolkitControl.zip – This is the “proof of concept” extender control I built using the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit.  The control is based on the hard work of Chris Pietschmann.  Chris built a really cool control (ASP.NET Virtual Earth Map Control) that wraps a bunch of Virtual Earth Map Control (v4) functionality into an ASP.NET 2.0 Server Control.  The beauty of the control Chris wrote is that you don’t have to write a single line of JavaScript!  DISCLAIMER: This control was written as a “proof of concept” for my demos.  It is “AS-IS” and not without bugs;).  Chris is working on a full ASP.NET AJAX enhanced version of his control based on the prototype.  I’ll write a bit more about this in a separate post!

WinformsEarthV4.zip – Example of how to host Virtual Earth in a .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Forms (desktop) application. This sample uses the WebBrowser control to host an html page which uses the Virtual Earth v4 JavaScript Control. It uses a feature of the WebBrowser control which allows you to call JavaScript in the hosted page from managed and managed code in the host application from JavaScript. The code is based on the “Winforms Earth v2” sample at http://www.viavirtualearth.com/vve/Gallery/Winforms2.ashx. I updated the code to use the v4 control which introduces new features like Virtual Earth 3D.

-Marc

1. Prog says:

2. Cool SharePoint Tool: SharePoint Inspector [Via: jantie ] Howto: Use a Vista DVD to duplicate any Windows…

3. Steve says:

Thanks for your example they have helpted, especialy the push pin ones. However iv tried them in Firefox and nothing works. Do you know what the cause of this could be?

4. john says:

Virtual Earth does not work with Firefox 2.0 as at December 2006. This hack will get it working until it gets fixed:

John.

5. John says:

Thanks Marc. I was first introduced to VE and ajax through your videos on Channel 9. Its a pity your virtual machine BSOD’d and the recording finished early before we saw more ajax stuff.

So are we right to assume the virtual earth control from atlas has been dropped?

I guess i better eat my words after telling Chris not to bother with his server control as MS AJAX will have a non-postback solution lol.

I hope you guys get something up.

John.

6. Arnab says:

The links are no longer working it seems , the website federaldeveloper can no longer be reached as well.

7. Arnab says:

don’t understand the reason butin IE it shows that, the site does not exist, but am able to download using opera

8. Thanks to everyone who attended! My previous post here has all the information about downloads, etc.

9. I was inspired by WPF/E and "Layering" Content and Using Opacity with a WPFE / Virtual Earth Mashup to

10. A while back, I blogged about using WPF/E & Virtual Earth together. The post is here . I’ve also

11. crisha says:

Couldnot able to download .Zip files containing the sample code!!!!

12. Mug says:

I’m trying to find out how to load my data from MSSQL (with lat/long info) into the VE map.  Have been struggle for sometime now.  Please help

13. PubSec says:

Mug,

You will need to wrap your data access code with a web service and then call the web service from JavaScript and use the results from the web service to programmatically add using VEMap.  If you download my sample code, you will see an example.  The video at http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-82.aspx shows you how to make a web service callable from JavaScript.

-Marc

14. Casey McLaughlin says:

I have a silly question:  I want Intellisense with the VE javascript.  Is this possible, and if so how?  I’d like to be able to see map.*intellisenceoptions* and such?  Am I missing a reference some where?

Thanks

Casey

15. libor says:

Any chance you update this to VE version 6 ? I need the new features like multipoint routing and shapes, etc.

I will try to make the update on my own based upon your code. …just wanted to ask first if somebody has done it already.

16. Nam says:

I am not able to download the zip file, WinformsEarthV4.zip.  Can you check?

Thank you so much.