SQL Server Management Studio Express CTP is out!

This is the free version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) designed to work with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

“Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) provides a graphical management tool for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) instances. SSMSE can also manage relational engine instances created by any edition of SQL Server 2005. SSMSE cannot manage Analysis Services, Integration Services, SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition, Notification Services, Reporting Services, or SQL Server Agent.”

The SQL team heard you loud and clear on the original management tool for express.  This one definitely has more features.  I think you’ll like it!  It’s a “lite” version of the same tool that comes with the other editions.  If you already have SSMS installed, then this install won’t work.  You already have everything that the Express version has.

Download it here.

1. Mattias Johansson says:

It’s nice, but still no BLOODY way to transfer from database to database, which makes it completely worthless for anyone on a shared MSSQL server. Backup/Restore is nice functionality, but what really should be there is the DTS wizard, as that is more usable for the people using the express products.

2. Kim Meyer says:

Agreed no DTS wizard, not a mention anywhere at Microsoft on upsizing Access databases.

Are they really serious about taking on MySql

3. sqluser says:

it is a complete rubbish. can you believe that a database management software without data import/export function??

4. Expressuser says:

To this point, here’s a suggestion.

Purchase Developer edition or crack open your msdn DVD’s and load it up. Wa Bang! SQL Server Management Studio full version works over the Express database.

5. Michael says:

I gave it a good hard look and decided on MySQL.

What were they thinking? NO Import/Export? Thats no database. Thats a joke.

6. Rainadaman says:

Without Import/Export, it’s not better than file system.

7. Bharat Singh (Sr. Software Engg). says:

What is this??

8. nay min thu says:

is there any plugin that can do import/export?

9. I’m doing a data transfer from LAMP to a new M$ website and have only just discovered the lack of import/export – as far as I’m concerned that means 12 grand just went down the toilet. MySQL never left me in a dead end like this.

10. Mariam says:

I have spent thepast coupe of days breakin down over this missing feature, but then I found this:

And it worked out for me. I’ve got Import/Export. Now I have to find if there’s a Client Network Utility coz I need that to connect to the server at my host

11. paul wragg says:

If you want to import into sql express:

1. use a trial version of sql 2005 and import into that,

2. detach the database, (sp_detach_db)

3. attach the .mdf file to sql express

12. Terry says:

hey I found out that there is a DTS Wizard included in the SQL Server Management Studio Express.  You have to search for it as it is not included in the interface.  Here’s the location I found it in: C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server90DTSBinn

Check it out.

13. Michael says:

I’m glad you found the DTS directory.  Unfortunately for MANY of us out here that directory never gets installed and nobody seems to be able to figure out why.  If you spend days trying different combinations of uninstalling and reinstalling sql components in different orders it has worked for some people though.

14. Dave says:

The SS Migration Assistant for Access (mentioned in the link above) worked beautifully for me.  No probems.

I know it’s a paint to have to download a completely separate utility for doing Access imports but at least it’s free.

Now…if they just had an import Wizard for Excel, flat text files, dbase, etc, etc, etc.

15. CM says:

The problem with DTS not intaling could be related to the fact that it needs Windows IIS components that are not part of the default selections and/or have not been installed on the computer.  If the required IIS components are available, DTS does not install.  The only clue you have is that when the SQL Server does its compatibility check, it gives a warning on the IIS item.  If you google a bit, you can find a list of of the IIS components needed (I cannot remember the url).

DO the IIS bit, then reinstall SQL.  I used the following

– SQL Express 2005 advanced

– SQL Express Toolkit

– SQL Backward Compatibility

– SQL Express DTS

You need the Business part of the Toolkit for DTS.  When you do the install, be sure to check the box against the SQL Server edition.  It is greyed out but you can check it anyway.  If it is not checked, you are telling the install that you don’t want to install anything.

I mucked about for 2 days before I got all the bits right.

For hose familiar with DTS wizard in 2000, this one seems to be more stable but less powerful (and really tedious).  It works OK  for one time transfers.  I needed to do periodic updates, so I saved a SSIS package as a file  and then created a batch file that ran the package using DTExec.  The tricks here are:

– you must save the package with sensitive data encrypted (the user login password is not included in the package otherwise

– use the /f switch to specify the filename

– use the /de switch to specify the encryption password

16. MARVIN says:

17. hi,

i have a difficulty in finding out the solution for ssmse drawing environment