Code Repurposing

  [Ed: I’ve now posted a follow up entry to this blog that talks about some strategies you can use to mitigate the kinds of problems outlined in this blog entry] <sigh> Code repurposing really blows. And it sucks. It sucks and it blows. And not necessarily in that order! This blog could be short,…


WordBlogX 1.1 Coming Along Nicely…

Rob and I are both working on WordBlogX tonight. We’ve got the WordML -> HTML conversion working (needed to update the namespace declarations from Beta 2 to RTM) and now Rob is finishing up some Regex hacks to strip the unneeded document elements (<HEAD>, etc) and to map the classnames to inline styles (since we…


Updating WordBlogX

I’ve spent much of this afternoon playing around with the WordBlogX code, adding a few simple features, cleaning up the code a lot, and modularising everything. I keep telling Rob that I feel like I’m over-engineering everything, but as they say “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing properly.” Oh well. We actually have it…


Two geeks coding

It’s Monday night. You come home from work. What do you do? Sit in the lounge and code, of course! Rob is working on “fixing” (ha) WordBlogX and actually writing a “real” setup program for it (he can’t help himself, you see. It’s a sickness). I’m playing around with CryptoAPI on PocketPC which is really…


First real bug

Rob found an interesting bug last night that I couldn’t repro… until today. Turns out that when you modify a blog entry, you don’t just need the GUID. Oh no. That would be too easy. You need the GUID and the original creation date! My limited testing of my “Update” mechanism worked because I had…


First real bug

Rob found an interesting bug last night that I couldn’t repro… until today. Turns out that when you modify a blog entry, you don’t just need the GUID. Oh no. That would be too easy. You need the GUID and the original creation date! My limited testing of my “Update” mechanism worked because I had…