Word Shortcuts

Ever wanted to move some text around in a Word document, but didn't want to go through the hassles of copy and paste?

Just select the text, hit F2, move the cursor to where you want the text to be, and hit Enter.

Using Shift+F2 will copy the text instead of moving it.

If you want to move an entire paragraph up or down, use Alt+Shift+Up or Alt+Shift+Down.

And did you know Shift+F3 will toggle the case of the selection, from Proper Case to UPPER CASE to lower case?

Comments (8)

  1. Peter Torr says:

    You can see these at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290938 but that article doesn’t mention such classics as "Ctrl+Shift+Space" for inserting a non-breaking space.

  2. I love shortcut keys. That’s why I have been spending a lot of time creating global shortcuts with <a href="www.activewords.com">ActiveWords</a>. Its a great product.

  3. Alex Angelopoulos says:

    OK, I’m missing something here… why F2 – how is this more special than Ctrl+C or Ctrl+K and Ctrl+V? The ability to do a single key?

    That isn’t trivial – I tend to fat-finger (especially since the newer MS keyboards don’t have large keys). Of course if you have an Office Keyboard, you have the world’s coolest left-hand toolset for this. 🙂

  4. Peter Torr says:

    F2 is from long before Ctrl+C existed (Word 1.x on Windows 286 or whatever). Back in the old days it was Ctrl+Insert to copy, Shift+Insert to paste, and Shift+Del to cut.

    Ctrl+C/X/V didn’t come in until Windows 3.1 (I think).

  5. BobSmith says:

    Is there a quick and easy way to make Word recognize shift+tab or ctrl+shift+tab to tab through documents? Many MDI apps support this convention, but Word, alas, does not. Ideas?

  6. Peter Torr says:


    The problem with Ctrl+Tab is that it is used to insert a tab character when inside tables (you can’t use tab on its own, because that means "go to the next cell").

    Word uses Ctrl+F6 for switching windows.

  7. janice says:

    hi there! anybody know if there is a shortcut for switching between documents when working in word?

  8. Peter Torr says:

    Uhhhhh, the comment directly above yours gives the shortcut key — Ctrl+F6

Skip to main content