Vista OOM fix:Must have update from the mother-ship

Aug 28th a fix became available for Vista from the Windows team.

The bits will be made generally available from the link here and relatively detailed KB is attached.

The issue is that Vista was creating an extra copy of graphics memory ( noted by AnandTech here ) and that was causing a pre-mature exhaustion of each process’s address space and then the dreaded OOM error. AnandTech reviews this issue further and tests the hotfix here.

Run, don’t walk to this download.

1. Aberforth says:

Thnx but Why this is not available through windows update? I wonder what else I might be missing.

2. blueflamer says:

Hi Phil,

I hope this does not come out the wrong way. We appreciate all the nice work done on this project but even after SP1, my experience with FSX has not been that great!

I went out and bought me a new PC with Windows Vista, 256MB video card, 2GB RAM etc and find FSX jerking all the time. there is never a smooth take off or landing, its really frustrating. I can’t even go through the tutorials smoothly :S

I’ve tried many tweaks as suggested but saw no real improvement. I also have FS2004 which works fine (smooth as silk),

Regards

blueflamer

3. styler says:

Good news, I guess.

I am in the same boat as blueflamer. I have a decent setup: EVGA 680i motherboard, EVGA 8800GTX and Core2 duo processor @ 3.2Ghz and all I have is a stuttering mess with flight sim X. Have to say that moving from windows XP to Vista 32 was a mistake, at least for now. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

Steve

4. Ravox says:

Hello i´followed your posts and i have great iterest about Flight Sinulator.

I have noticed after i istalled the Service Pack for Flight Simulator X, some buldings take 2 or 3 seconds too appear when you move the camera.

Why this happens and why can i resolve this?

My config is an Athlon 64 4000+ 2GB Dual Channel and Geforce 7600GT with Windows Vista.

Its horrible to look to yur side in the plane and the buldings appear from nothing…..

After the Service Pack thin things doesnt exist.

5. Geoff_D says:

Phil,

On the subject of OOM,

Is there any progess on the use of the /3gig  switch for increasing VM,  for both Vista  with DX10,  and in particular those for those who remain on XP with DX9.

Is there any hope that DX9 will be made fully /3gig compatible, at least as far as FSX is concerned.?

Running out of "suitably sized" chucks of VM is not something that most application suffer from. FSX however does seem to suffer badly from this, and the results are a forced close down of FSX.  Why can’t FSX monitor it’s own available VM memory, and keep it optimized/defragmented in the background, so that it has far less chance of actually running out of VM. ?

Regards

Geoff_D

6. hedrums says:

Well… I downloaded the 64-bit version for my Vista Ultimate x64 system (dual-core Opteron 185-based), and tried to run it, and it says "This update does not apply to your system."

Any idea why?

7. Phil Taylor says:

Geoff:

as I said in my forums posts about this, there is a 2nd part of the OOM fix to come rrom us, and that would be a /3G aware version of FSX.

between the 2, that should put the OOM issues for FSX to rest.

8. Phil Taylor says:

Hedrums:

that usually means Windows Update has already installed it.

9. Aberforth says:

I have 2 questions…

a. Any plans to add native support 64bit for the next version of FS?

b. Is SP2 a performance update ?

10. Phil Taylor says:

Aberforth:

its too early to talk about FS11

SP2 is mainly a feature update. There may be some small perf work, but it is not like SP1 where perf was the main goal.

11. Ravox says:

Can you respnd to my post please. i stopped playng Flight SImulator about this:

Hello i´followed your posts and i have great iterest about Flight Sinulator.

Why this happens and why can i resolve this?

After the Service Pack thin things doesnt exist.

12. jazzselect says:

Hi, thanks for the update.

I have a question,

-some add-on developers, like aero-files, claims that their ‘texture-boosters’ are better than the original fsx textures. Better quality and better fps etc..

Is this true, have you guys missed something when making the fsx textures?

13. Geoff_D says:

> as I said in my forums posts about this, there is

> a 2nd part of the OOM fix to come rrom us,

> and that would be a /3G aware version of FSX.

> between the 2, that should put the OOM issues

> for FSX to rest.

Phil,

Read through all the post I could find from you on this, and one point is still not clear.

Can you clarify if the /3G option will also be a workable option for XP, running DX9,  or will there still issues with this combination as far as FSX is concerned.

Geoff_D

14. Phil Taylor says:

Ravox, this blog is not support.

15. Phil Taylor says:

Jazzselect:

quality and performance are opposites wrt to textures. I have seen many mods that sacrifice quality to gain perf, but I havent seen 1 yet that does both.

16. Phil Taylor says:

Geoff:

XP has much less of the OOM issue, but yes for XP the /3G fix will help.

17. MadBoris says:

Phil:

It’s good to hear the news that you guys will have the exe Large Address Aware.  I always run my XP box with the /3GB boot option.  All I need is headers properly supplied in apps and I am good to go.  Several applications take advantage of /3GB that I run, while a few still require some user coaxing to avoid crashes, like SupCom and Google Earth come to mind.

Official support is great in removing the inherent issues in the code itself with higher addresses above ffffffff.  Plus people with X64 will automatically enjoy a new 4GB userva ceiling just from the patch.

I just wanted to post and applaud your guys’ continued support of FSX, it’s nothing to be taken for granted and it’s not an entitlement I can claim, so I say thx. I’m Looking forward to SP2(DX10) and seeing how it works with a G92 (then again, you may already know). 😉

Have a great vacation!

18. MadBoris says:

whoops, meant 7fffffff, not ffffffff.

19. Some issues I’ve ran into with FSX SP1 on Vista x64:

1.  FSX will disable the Aero interface when run

2.  Takes a 50% performance hit vs. WinXP 32bit

3.  Extremely slow loading of aircraft textures

Hardware being used:

Asus P5K Deluxe (Intel chipset P35)

Intel X6800 CPU @ 3.2Ghz

4GB PC2-6400 RAM in DDR2-800 dual channel

RealTek onboard Audio (latest drivers)

nVidia 8800GTX 768MB (162.22 WHQL)

Vista x64 has been surprisingly solid and fast for the rest of my applications and games — it is considerably faster than Vista x32 and WinXP 32bit.  The interface improvements are much welcome but the overall fluidity of the OS is outstanding — disk IO is considerably much improved.

Somewhat ironic that FSX SP1 seems to be the only game I’ve installed that has displayed a huge performance drop.

Some hints from nVidia release notes (pdf):

"This is due to a limitation of the Windows Vista operating system and affects all multi-GPU systems."

Hopefully SP2(DX10) will address these issues.

Rob.

20. robains@msn.com says:

Addendum:

4.  FSX install does not create a desktop icon.

Obviously my 4GB of RAM is being put to good use in that 64bit address space — so much so that I’m thinking of going to 8GB (since DDR2 RAM is currently very cheap).

Games I’ve installed successfully:

AOE III & War Chiefs

Titan Quest

GTR2 (with Logitech G25 FF Wheel)

Supreme Commander

C&C 3

Company of Heros

Benchmark tools I’ve installed:

3DMark05

3DMark06

SiSoftware Sandra XII (2008)

Other Apps:

Office 2007 + updates

21. Phil Taylor says:

Robains:

A fix for Vista ( from the nVidia PDF ) isnt something FSX can address.

Its by design there is no desktop icon in Vista, all games have to be installed into the Games Explorer.

And it is also a known issue that Vista disables Aero on launch of FSX.

22. sut101 says:

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting that this OOM problem also applies to Vista 64. I’ll try the hotfix tonight.

Just adding to robains’ list above, I’ve found an issue in Vista64 when adding FS2004 aircraft that don’t have thumbnails to FSX. In XP, the aircraft gallery would show a generic thumbnail with a question mark to replace the missing thumbnail. However, in Vista64 (Ultimate) no generic thumbnail is displayed. Instead, the thumbnail of the next aircraft in the gallery is shown in its place. The result is that some aircraft now have the wrong thumbnail showing in the gallery! My workaround is to manually copy the generic thumbnail into the texture folders of each the FS2004 add-on aircraft.

Cheers,

Steve

23. dreddhk says:

Hi Phil

This problem seem’s to have resurfaced post Vista (64x) SP1. After suffering a BSOD on boot up I had to reformat. I installed Vista + all updates + SP1, then FSX + Accelleration, and now I get OOM errors all the time on the menu screen of FSX. The OOM link at the begining of this thread won’t install as it says its the wrong version (Yes – I downloaded the 64x version!) .. any thoughts?