Download SharePoint 2010 VHD Demo Environment

(Update: This image is no longer available. Currently there are no plans to create another SharePoint 2010 demo image. Visit http://dev.office.com for information on building SharePoint apps)

The RTM version of the SharePoint 2010 and Office 2010 VHD files are now available for download. This includes Windows Server 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010, Office 2010, Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 and more. See the download site for a complete list of software. This is the the same virtual machine that we do all of our demos and presentations with.

Download SharePoint 2010 VHD:
(Updated with SP1 – 9/15/2011)

SharePoint 2010 Developer Training Kit

If you are new to SharePoint 2010, download the SharePoint 2010 Developer Training Kit.

This training kit has videos, hands on Labs and Demos that work with this VHD.

1. Tommi Tiihonen says:

I have a huge problem! The virtual environment work fine otherwise but I need to have THREE virtual environments all in the same subnet so I renamed the other two servers. I also got instructions to remove the AD from ALL three machines, reboot, and re-install the AD (using DCPROMO) to one virtual server only, thus making it a Domain Controller. The other two servers are to be only joined on the new domain and they only authenticate to the AD server.

BUT – when I removed the AD from all the three virtual machines, it asked me to "give a new pass word for the Administrator account". So I did. However, now when I rebooted all the three virtual machines, I'm UNABLE to log on with the Administrator account! The password "pass@word1" doesn't go through. I changed the Admin password during the AD removal process to "Pass@word1" and it accepted it. So I gather that it's the local admin password that it asks. I of course thought that it changed it because it asked me to change it, but it doesn't work!

So what is the password for logging on to this virtual machine AFTER removing the AD?

Please help!

E-mail: tommi.tiihonen@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

-Tommi Tiihonen

2. Kai Schings says:

The link isn´t working … I couldn´t download the test version … how bad is that … now I need to wast some time to setup my own testsystem with MSDN licences :-(.

3. Hi Paul,

First of all, thank you for posting this, it was a huge time saver.  I already downloaded the VHD a few days ago; however, after referring someone to the link – it seems like Microsoft has removed or moved the location of the files to a different site.

Do you know what the new link is?  …I've tried looking on the Microsoft site, but can't find anything.

4. AB says:

why are microsoft links always broken???

5. Ravi Patel says:

Hi,

I wanted to build this environment at home. Can anyone tell me what edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 sp1 should I go with? Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter?

I need to be sure about this before I purchase a license for one.

6. Jose Noguera says:

Ravi, Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 will work fine.

7. Jose Noguera says:

Guys,

I downloaded 2010-10a, 2010-b, and 2010-c and I found out the demo files (mentioned in the Walkthrough guide) are not included in this IW Demo version.

Any clue on where I can get and load those files?

Thanks, regards,

J.

8. Rune says:

Jose << Can't find those, either.

Shouldn't Project Server 2010 be preconfigured as well? Not the case here…

9. Kate says:

Hi

Does anybody know what to do if I want to use windows7 as my platform instead of windows2008 server r2 ?

Can we install this virtual Machine on windows7 ?

Or Can I use a trial version of windows server 2008 ?

10. Matthew Webb says:

Kate – your best option is use Microsoft Hyper-V Sever 2008 R2

11. Theronmk says:

This link might be of some help

12. Pothuraju says:

Hi,

pls anybody help me to instalation of Sharepoint 2010 on windows 8 machine…

Thanks.

13. Evangelos says:

Hi, I think that the link doesn't work is there anywhere else from where I can download the vhf?

14. Evangelos says:

I am sorry for the mistake, I meant VHD

15. Igor says:

Hi, I think that link doesn't work too. I try to download last week but no success… Pls, is there another link?

Thanks in advance

16. Bob says:

I was actually downloading this image from Microsoft's site (leaving it to download over night) when Microsoft removed it from their servers 🙁 I have only 25% of the files.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative download location, or would anyone be amazing and charitable enough to upload it themselves for others to download?

Much love!

17. Ang says:

I am also curious if there is another method of obtaining these. I was going to download them a few weeks or so ago but decided to wait. Try to today and nothing… 🙁

18. Igor says:

Hi @Ang,

In my case, I was in the middle of the process of download the image parts and the link gets down . I think I was at the three image part 🙁

Now I think the only way to obtain these images is install the systems environment (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, SQL Server 2008 R2 and Sharepoint Foundation and/or Server) , step by step and in the finish of the process, to create or generate the VHD image.

19. Rakesh says:

Hi ,

Do any one have the vhd . I cant find it anywhere . Help !

20. Avian says:

Hi Rakesh

Did you find VHD file, if so please share the updated link.

Avian

21. Josh Wood says:

Hey, are you guys still after a download?

22. AT says:

Of course! Can anyone please let us know if there are still any download links available? Sharepoint 2010.

23. Raj says: