Today the SharePoint team announced that Service Pack 2 is ready to go. SP2 rolls up all previous bug fixes and patches. SP2 also includes new features to improve performance, availability and stability. SP2 also prepares your SharePoint farm to make the upgrade to SharePoint 2010 when it is available.
Where do I get it?
Check out the SharePoint team blog for all of the details and links to all of the download locations.
What's in there?
Read the Overview details in this document: Service Pack 2 for SharePoint Products and Technologies Overview Document
Service Pack 2 provides fixes for known issues and improves existing functionality in the following product areas:
· Authentication — Improvements to forms-based authentication, authentication for Web applications, and the Business Data Catalog.
· Database performance and integrity — Improved database performance and integrity by automatically rebuilding database indexes with a timer job.
· Interoperability — Improved support for standards-based document formats and compatibility with a broader range of browsers level 1 and level 2 browser support.
· Read-only content databases — Improved user experience by automatically configuring site collections as read-only when the content database is configured as read-only.
· Stsadm command-line tool — In addition to operations for pre-upgrade scanning and variations analysis and repair, several operations are improved and new operations added to better support farm administration.
· Pre-upgrade scanning and reporting — An Stsadm operation that enables you to scan an existing farm and its servers to verify that they can be upgraded SharePoint Products and Technologies "14".
· Variations analysis and repair — An Stsadm operation that enables farm administrators to better manage and perform necessary operations against variations.